Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Past data on promoting second-choice goalkeepers to number one isn't particularly favourable... Stevie Woods (several times), Dubourdeau, Lee Hollis, Craig Samson...

Mark Gillespie, however, is the exception.

Definitely an accurate take. 

Ox played a couple of league cup games from memory so I went back to see if anyone had passed comment at the time.

@Archie McSquackle - "Oxborough is a lot bigger but didn't come for corners in the East Fife game which Kelly would have easily"

So let's not hold out hope he's our number 1 and if he is everyone better relax into a season of similar outcomes to this....

Does beg the question - have we had two goalies who naturally just don't come for corners and crosses? Or, has it been coached into them for whatever reason not to do that?

There's definitely a strong Motherwell Da' aspect to expectations around goalkeeping - those brought up watching Sieb Dykstra have got a badly skewed view of what keepers actually do. Even back then, a keeper regularly coming to take crosses at the penalty spot (and 18 yard line) was out of the ordinary/weird and I'm really not sure that it is a big part of goalkeeping in modern fitba.

We didn't lose a goal from a corner under GA - and that didn't happen because Kelly was coming for everything. I don't think there is a clear, easy to see reason for us losing so many soft goals from corners/long throws/crosses but it's not because Kelly wasn't doing this:

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Ox played a couple of league cup games from memory so I went back to see if anyone had passed comment at the time.

@Archie McSquackle - "Oxborough is a lot bigger but didn't come for corners in the East Fife game which Kelly would have easily"

So let's not hold out hope he's our number 1 and if he is everyone better relax into a season of similar outcomes to this....

Does beg the question - have we had two goalies who naturally just don't come for corners and crosses? Or, has it been coached into them for whatever reason not to do that?

He lost 3 goals to QotS but he saved the penalty which got us the 2 points.

6 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Perth Glory announce that John Koutroumbis is leaving to 'pursue opportunities overseas'.

Potentially to look out for considering our previous links to him.

He’ll have his St Mirren scarf above his head in no time.

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

It's a small sample size admittedly (one game 😄) but I was struck by how much he stayed on his line when it looked as though the ball was there to be taken. He may well have been nervous on a rare appearance. 

2 hours ago, Swello said:

There's definitely a strong Motherwell Da' aspect to expectations around goalkeeping - those brought up watching Sieb Dykstra have got a badly skewed view of what keepers actually do. Even back then, a keeper regularly coming to take crosses at the penalty spot (and 18 yard line) was out of the ordinary/weird and I'm really not sure that it is a big part of goalkeeping in modern fitba.

We didn't lose a goal from a corner under GA - and that didn't happen because Kelly was coming for everything. I don't think there is a clear, easy to see reason for us losing so many soft goals from corners/long throws/crosses but it's not because Kelly wasn't doing this:

What a day that was. Celtic parade Fergus McCann before the game and then launch ball after ball to big Sieb who was absolutely loving it.

3 hours ago, eliphas said:

I mean, here's footage of big Aston before he signed for us so the fact he's seems happy to be coming and claiming crosses cleanly enough suggests that it's a coaching thing.

I'm not exactly sold on the idea of him being our #1 but I can see that there might be more of a route for him to get games now that Kelly is away along with all the awkwardness that a goalkeeper being captain brings.

16 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

We're playing Livi at Fir Park on the 6th of July in a pre-season friendly.

I hope our pitch renovation will be completed by then. Still not lifted when I walked past the other day.

13 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I hope our pitch renovation will be completed by then. Still not lifted when I walked past the other day.

Could be played behind closed doors at Dalziel to be fair. I just assumed it would be at FP

58 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, here's footage of big Aston before he signed for us so the fact he's seems happy to be coming and claiming crosses cleanly enough suggests that it's a coaching thing.

I'm not exactly sold on the idea of him being our #1 but I can see that there might be more of a route for him to get games now that Kelly is away along with all the awkwardness that a goalkeeper being captain brings.

There was also the consecutive league minutes record that the club was pushing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Well Well said:

It looked fantastic from the small sample I got from over Caldwell's shoulder in that video.

I've not seen it anywhere that we're doing significant renovations this summer, or did I miss it?

Edited by StAndrew7

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Aye, I thought the idea was it was a hybrid now so we didn't need a full scale renovation every year 

Yeah you can't take an inch off, dress and reseed when you have plastic knitted into it. Main issue was algae and fungus but deep sub base and drainage and removing the pitch that left to fester underneath our old one should have resolved a fair bit of that problem

Flow said before he left they envisaged the annual bill would be down from £110k to £30k.

10 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Yeah you can't take an inch off, dress and reseed when you have plastic knitted into it. Main issue was algae and fungus but deep sub base and drainage and removing the pitch that left to fester underneath our old one should have resolved a fair bit of that problem

Flow said before he left they envisaged the annual bill would be down from £110k to £30k.

Why didn't we use this in January to cover KVV's wages? *

*Not being entirely serious. 

7 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Why didn't we use this in January to cover KVV's wages? *

*Not being entirely serious. 

Spent it on all the lovely concrete and railings to keep the east stand standing and then some.

21 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Past data on promoting second-choice goalkeepers to number one isn't particularly favourable... Stevie Woods (several times), Dubourdeau, Lee Hollis, Craig Samson...

Mark Gillespie, however, is the exception.

Maybe, but not really any point in him being here if he isn't half decent or get any game time to show how good/bad/indifferent he is. There for emergencies I know but if Kelly's performances this season didn't warrant a bit emergency replacement goal keeper time I don't know what will.