Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

@Vietnam91 fair play to you. You’ve proven beyond all reasonable doubt that @Erik Barmack is clueless, and not the person this club needs to take it forward. Not one clear bit of understanding on how to grow the club properly. People have a cheek criticising the Society as owners when we’d be left with this chancer.

The Society board need to pull the finger out right now. Get rid of the entire exec board and appoint an interim one that has the remit of devising a new strategy and vision for the business. Every day wasted is negligent. Act now.

The Well Society board need to look at themselves.

If Alan Burrows, a good guy but not exactly having a wealth of experience can become our CEO and run day to day operations then one of the Well Society (Phil Speedie seems like the guy doing the heavy lifting) can be chairman and lead a few board meetings each year.

This needs to happen now.

Actually make @Vietnam91 chairman.

All of this investment nonsense has steered everyone away from the facts of the matter. Our club can make more money from what it currently does. Tickets. Retail. Sponsorships. Player sales. It isn’t about who the owners are. It is about who is running things, against a strategy to grow the club.

What this club needs - immediately - is a total review of how it runs itself, and a growth plan put in place, and the right full time staff put in to do it. That’s it. It’s that simple. 

Why has the club never sold the naming rights to Fir Park before? I think in this day and age you could get folk on board with that for the financial side and people would just call it Fir Park anyway? 

7 minutes ago, ML4 said:

All of this investment nonsense has steered everyone away from the facts of the matter. Our club can make more money from what it currently does. Tickets. Retail. Sponsorships. Player sales. It isn’t about who the owners are. It is about who is running things, against a strategy to grow the club.

What this club needs - immediately - is a total review of how it runs itself, and a growth plan put in place, and the right full time staff put in to do it. That’s it. It’s that simple. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fair bit of that covered (perhaps not so much on the operations side) in the WS' new vision which will be released in a couple of weeks.

8 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

Why has the club never sold the naming rights to Fir Park before? I think in this day and age you could get folk on board with that for the financial side and people would just call it Fir Park anyway? 

Personally, I think the 'Upper crust Arena'  has a nice ring to it.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Personally, I think the 'Upper crust Arena'  has a nice ring to it.

The lad who has his name emblazoned on the South Stand lives along Manse Road and sees it every day. 😅

2 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

Did Real Radio or some such not approach us about a deal when stadium naming rights were in their infancy?

Seemed like a far out idea back then, but moving with the times it seems like a fairly easy and obvious income we are missing out on compared to many of our rivals. I mean, at the end of the day, Dens Park is still Dens Park to me and not the Scotfoam, and likewise 'The Indian Villa Stadium at Fir Park' will always just be Fir Park, just with an added Pakora Shak.

If Hamilton Accies or Airdrie ever get promoted we’d be missing a trick by not contacting the SoFi stadium or the Allianz Arena to see if the want the home leg to the coveted Lanarkshire derby. 

Maybe Erik was meaning he would rename the stadium "Wembley" and we'd be able to market that all of our games were played there? 

Fair play to you @Vietnam91, you've put a power of effort into this, far more than the current "custodians" of the club. 

Jim McMahon and Co. need to get to f**k now. This has been an absolute shambles from the minute that ridiculous video dropped. Asleep at the wheel doesn't even begin to describe it, all the while telling the Well Society that "we know better", patronising fools. 

Edited by MurrayWell

3 hours ago, ML4 said:

@Vietnam91 fair play to you. You’ve proven beyond all reasonable doubt that @Erik Barmack is clueless, and not the person this club needs to take it forward. Not one clear bit of understanding on how to grow the club properly. People have a cheek criticising the Society as owners when we’d be left with this chancer.

The Society board need to pull the finger out right now. Get rid of the entire exec board and appoint an interim one that has the remit of devising a new strategy and vision for the business. Every day wasted is negligent. Act now.

See here's the thing ML4, Erik is a really engaging guy, I enjoyed his company, loves him family, has decent CV (as does his wife), sometimes outside fresh eyes can be as useful as someone with 30 years in the industry. On board in some capacity would be a bonus and I think the league management would appreciate being able to pick his brains with respect to maximising TV deals and alike to the benefit of all clubs.

The issue is control and how much is being offered for that. The offer not only ridiculous it is stinking, it can't be denied. While we are here because of McMahon. To a degree Erik has been used as the means to sideline the WS he is still complicit. McMahon kept him at the table way longer than he should have while the WS Board would not. He was told of stuff that wouldn't fly months ago and ploughed on.

While he is a nice guy, I can't ignore he's devalued the club with poor reasoning and when countered with facts I got the equivalent of a shoulder shrug.

I told him before I broke contact and I will repeat, a fair bit of his offer relies on the WS membership not examining the details and implications. When I see people posting "when I see numbers I switch off, its beyond me", yeah, a fair bit of their strategy is that 1,500 of us would too. I also told him not to treat us like hicks, there's a wealth of intelligent people and expertise within our support who could expose issues.

For the reason if I was selling a £20k car and someone came and repeatedly offers £10k, first time you laugh heartily, second time "OK good one", third the smile disappears and you get serious, 4th annoyed. By the 50th you'd get fed up of all the time wasted to the extent of eventually saying just "f**k right off". (I'm personally nowhere near as diplomatic and would revert to that by offer 3 at the latest).

Erik accused me of a snide offer to come in on a consultancy basis for a fee. I was being genuine and 100% sincere. I'm sure WS memberships for the full Barmack clan of 5 would be part of an arrangement. And it would give both parties a chance to see if long term progression was right and a good fit. Especially when one is based in a -8 hour time zone to see if it was practical.

If Erik's offer doesn't go through, it won't be because of my postings, it will be for a few factors. First it is so bad and fuelled by executive malfeasance on the part of our board that I'd hope every WS member could see through the smokescreen of name dropping worldwide band names and bizniz blue sky thinking.

Because all our dirty washing has now been aired in public I really do think it could taint any further association among our fans. If Erik approaches another club then the fallout on here will be the reddest of red flags. Erik, sorry to say I feel you over played your hand on a number of fronts.

Second, your society board has not rolled over to this because certain people fought against sizeable pushback to make the board larger, more transparent and more accountable as well as being fully elected. Those who joined the board in October have shored it up. One of my very early posts on here references credit due in detail. We are where we are because they stayed the course, without it Erik would have been named chairman already.

I am only where I am because all the hard work has been shouldered by others and I'm not restricted by any role held or collective responsibility.

My posts on here are literally carried on the shoulders of giants.

Edited by Vietnam91

6 hours ago, Wellin said:

I've no interest in reading other people's private what's apps. If it wasn't sent to me directly then it's got nothing to do with me - and I'd say that no matter who this was about.

I basically just want to vote based on the offer we were presented with -and that's it. 

What a bizarre mindset to have in regards to the future of your club.

18 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Did Real Radio or some such not approach us about a deal when stadium naming rights were in their infancy?

Seemed like a far out idea back then, but moving with the times it seems like a fairly easy and obvious income we are missing out on compared to many of our rivals. I mean, at the end of the day, Dens Park is still Dens Park to me and not the Scotfoam, and likewise 'The Indian Villa Stadium at Fir Park' will always just be Fir Park, just with an added Pakora Shak.

Yeah I think Real Radio offered 300k, can't remember how long the duration for that deal though. Most teams seems to do company name at stadium name these days. I don't think it would bother me if we went down that route. 

9 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

What a bizarre mindset to have in regards to the future of your club.

You don't know what I think about the future of my club. You don't think I've made my mind up about which way I'll vote already? I have. 

4 minutes ago, Wellin said:

You don't know what I think about the future of my club. You don't think I've made my mind up about which way I'll vote already? I have. 

To an extent, we do. You've made it clear. Which is what he was replying to.

I believe an EGM of the WS is required as soon as the revised offer is made to gauge opinion beyond message boards.

We appear to have a disfunctional WS board with members resigning and requiring replacement and a lack of confidence in the Executive Board. 

It was recognised months ago that issues including governance and communications were a problem and work streams were identified to remedy these. I think we need a pause to sort out our governance before any offer can be considered

18 minutes ago, David1979 said:

To an extent, we do. You've made it clear. Which is what he was replying to.

I actually messaged the poster who posted the what's app messages up to explain why I said what I said. We've exchanged the odd message in private on here before. In hindsight I should have done rather than making a public post.

Just now, well fan for life said:

Haven't been on here in a few days. Have I missed anything major?

Media team getting pelters for mentioning Kelly all the time. Other than that, quiet week, close season innit.