Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's Kettlewell speaking on Slattery in his presser today. He's suggesting it'll be November before he'll be back.

With him and Paton out long term that leaves us with Miller, Halliday and Zdravkovski as our only fit midfielders with Callachan and Sparrow slightly less injured than the genuinely broken two.

I mean, without wanting to burn through the Thelonius money there's probably an argument that we could do with another short term centre mid beyond the obvious concerns we have on the more creative side.

f**k it. Bring him home Ketts...

alex_rodriguez_gorrin.png

Isn't this where we would be wanting Wells to step up? Rather than sign another (albeit cult hero) journeyman.

7 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Isn't this where we would be wanting Wells to step up? Rather than sign another (albeit cult hero) journeyman.

Not really as the story seemed to be that Wells was getting loaned out and also the main point I'd make would be that they play totally different positions - Wells is a winger who I'd imagine we're hopeful of repurposing as a 'forward'. He's not a midfielder AFAIK.

My argument, in as much as I have one, is that with the way things are shaping up we're actually a bit short of centre mids now if we're playing a midfield 3. If Slattery isn't back anytime soon on top of Paton being out for *at least* 14 weeks then we have 5 players for 3 midfield spots.

As it stands the only holding midfielder we actually have on the books is Zdravkovski (I know absolutely f**k all about Tom Sparrow tbf - maybe he's the second coming of Makélélé) the other options (Halliday and Callachan) are more general 'midfielders'.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Not really as the story seemed to be that Wells was getting loaned out and also the main point I'd make would be that they play totally different positions - Wells is a winger who I'd imagine we're hopeful of repurposing as a 'forward'. He's not a midfielder AFAIK.

My argument, in as much as I have one, is that with the way things are shaping up we're actually a bit short of centre mids now if we're playing a midfield 3. If Slattery isn't back anytime soon on top of Paton being out for *at least* 14 weeks then we have 5 players for 3 midfield spots.

As it stands the only holding midfielder we actually have on the books is Zdravkovski (I know absolutely f**k all about Tom Sparrow tbf - maybe he's the second coming of Makélélé) the other options (Halliday and Callachan) are more general 'midfielders'.

Fair play, In my head Wells was being used in central midfield. Being wildly optimistic but it might force Ketts  hand to shift towards a more traditional 2 midfielders and a creative type behind the striker, although thats just my preference for a 4231.

39 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Fair play, In my head Wells was being used in central midfield. Being wildly optimistic but it might force Ketts  hand to shift towards a more traditional 2 midfielders and a creative type behind the striker, although thats just my preference for a 4231.

I mean I’d be amazed if we signed 5 centre forwards and started playing a 4231.

Although I say that as someone who would happily never see us attempt to play that shape again.

Edited by capt_oats

Jim O’Brien had a song on YouTube called Sadie bird. I can’t really remember if it was any good?

I hope ICT can get out the mess they’re in. I see Bordeaux went bust yesterday. It’s sad to see unless it’s an arse cheek. 

Kettlewell's preference, or intention, I think was to play with two forwards beginning of last season was it not? I'm sure we played with Van Been/Mandron before and then started Bair/Wilko before it all went tits up injury wise up top? Or something similar to those pairings. 

So it's not beyond the realms of possibility he goes with two up top I guess. 

Regardless I still think we are light on attacking mids....maybe it's just one though rather than a couple to cover.

A Spittal replacement would be the obvious extra one unless we are planning to loan out Wilson. Although he’s maybe going to play Sods or the Wolves boy on their wrong side as a Sneddon back up? I mean we did it with Brodie Spencer last season. 

It's wild all within 2 weeks we're actually looking to be needing numbers in midfield.

As others have pointed out, totally behind pushing Miller forward to improve his G/A's, that move alone could add a serious amount to his value. Certainly exudes class and competence way in advance of his years and many teammates. Feel confident it's a win win for the player, club and hopefully out bank balance in the future.

Conversely it would be pretty remarkable for us to bring in a #10 and repeat selling them on within the year for the bump we could get from Miller getting +15 G/A's in 2024-25.

Sparrow was used for 25 mins vs Edinburgh and Seddon has been an unused sub. No idea of Kaleta and we won't see Koutroumbis till September. TBF Wilson hasn't done much wrong so far, any criticism of his debut I suspect was down to instructions to remember he's a defender first and don't take any silly risks, since he's been able to be more effective going forward as confidence grew. It took quite a while before Gent was a regular starter last season and got his first 90' (GW17 - mid December).

Events of the past week have probably provided a pivot on emphasis on both a permanent signing and loanee's. Only the management team will know at present the list of positional/personnel priorities as for most fans there's about 10 players in that squad we have no idea of their capability to perform in the hectic nature of the Premiership.

I’ll be driving through Sligo tomorrow. If there’s anywhere you want me to shout at/flick the vickies at, on your behalf, let me know. 

Edited by Alanos

I'm looking forward to you signing Connor Smith and turning him into a 15 goal midfielder.

8 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I can't remember if I've asked @RandomGuy. this before or not but I'd be interested to know who the closest comparisons to Spittal last season were.

I guess you're just meaning former Motherwell players?

Top 5 are, with decreasing similarity...

1. David Turnbull (2018/19)

2. Lennon Miller (2023/24)

3. Callum Slattery (2023/24)

4. Blair Spittal (2022/23)

5. Jack Vale (2023/24)

... probably helps show the charts really are influenced by how a player is used as much as anything? So many players similar in the same season feels wrong to me for what I wanted from them.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Am I right in reading here that you're saying that Blair Spittal of 2023/24 has finished 4th in the "who played most like Blair Spittal in 2023/24 competition" or is my head mush after a long week? 🤣

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I guess you're just meaning former Motherwell players?

Top 5 are, with decreasing similarity...

1. David Turnbull (2018/19)

2. Lennon Miller (2023/24)

3. Callum Slattery (2023/24)

4. Blair Spittal (2023/24)

5. Jack Vale (2023/24)

... probably helps show the charts really are influenced by how a player is used as much as anything? So many players similar in the same season feels wrong to me for what I wanted from them.

Just now, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Am I right in reading here that you're saying that Blair Spittal of 2023/24 has finished 4th in the "who played most like Blair Spittal in 2023/24 competition" or is my head mush after a long week? 🤣

Its meant to say 2022/23 😂 I've had a long week too I guess.

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

A Spittal replacement would be the obvious extra one unless we are planning to loan out Wilson. Although he’s maybe going to play Sods or the Wolves boy on their wrong side as a Sneddon back up? I mean we did it with Brodie Spencer last season. 

Was at the Clyde game and it’s obvious to anyone with eyes that we need creativity in midfield. I can understand they think spending money to replace Bair will work but it’s obvious to everyone outside the management that a massive reason behind KVV / Bair success was Spittal giving them the chances. I would add if we are going into this season with Davor as our holding midfielder we’re in trouble