Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Quite happy for Lennon to work his way up the age groups, he has done U19s so should establish himself with the U21s then take the World Cup by storm.

He can't be far away but I'd probably agree

Barron has played a bit more domestically and a lot more at U21 level so I can see why he's had the call up over Miller. 

I'm happy for Miller to continue his development a bit more before being a full international too, but he's an absolutely exceptional talent and I don't think many would have argued if he had been picked by Clarke, even if it was just to be part of the group on this occasion.

He'll go on international duty with Scotland U21s and will likely play games, but I'm of the opinion that if he had been called into the full squad he would have taken it in his stride, just as he has done at club level. Doesn't appear to be fazed by anything. 

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

See some questions being asked on twitter around why Barron is in the Scotland squad over Miller, not really sure what the reason is other than "Rangers" but also wonder if it is literally only due to Barron being that bit older and maybe Clarke preferring to let Lennon keep playing in the 21s albeit that would be contradicted by the likes of Doak being present. 

The difference with Doak is we have much less in the way of options up front compared to midfield.

All games are important but given the reasonable start to the season the United cup game is more important than the Aberdeen league game.  Watt can’t play against United, we need to ensure the strikers we will use in the Cup get some exposure in Aberdeen.  This may just mean that Moses gets half an hour but if, for example, Jair is expected to play then he should get some game time at Pittodrie.

i am not suggesting we concede the Aberdeen game just that we look ahead to the United one.

This time last season we had 10 points in 4 games and had been put out of the League Cup.

Those results being;

Dundee Away (D)

Hibs home (W)

Kilmarnock home (W)

Hearts away (W)

After the international break

St Mirren away - LC (L)

Following that Hearts game we then didn't win for another 15 games in a row (till the end of December)

Compared to that this season we have 3 less points, however we've already played an OF team away, have been ravaged with injuries and are through to the next round of the cup.

It's really important that we come out of the international break with the same momentum we went into it with and avoid any going into any daft slumps in form like we did this time last year, especially when a good few other teams that you'd expect to be around us in the table look like they're along  way from being the finished article.

Edited by camer0n_mcd

3 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

This time last season we had 10 points in 4 games and had been put out of the League Cup.

Those results being;

Dundee Away (D)

Hibs home (W)

Hearts away (W)

After the international break

St Mirren away - LC (L)

Following that Hearts game we then didn't win for another 15 games in a row (till the end of December)

Compared to that this season we have 3 less points, however we've already played an OF team away, have been ravaged with injuries and are through to the next round of the cup.

It's really important that we come out of the international break with the same momentum we went into it with and avoid any going into any daft slumps in form like we did this time last year, especially when a good few other teams that you'd expect to be around us in the table look like they're along  way from being the finished article.

Kilmarnock home (W)

Two years since we last beat Aberdeen I think? The last time being the 3-2 at Pittodrie when Hammellball was (briefly) running riot. Must be a while since we went that long without a win over them, anyway.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Two years since we last beat Aberdeen I think? The last time being the 3-2 at Pittodrie when Hammellball was (briefly) running riot. Must be a while since we went that long without a win over them, anyway.

Kev loved to ragdoll the Dandies, personal favourites was his brace in the white away strip and making Dec look like a competition winner.

9 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Kev loved to ragdoll the Dandies, personal favourites was his brace in the white away strip and making Dec look like a competition winner.

The 2-0 from just two shots was ridiculously funny. When it works it looks inspired but at half-time I was giving us absolute pelters.

We've had all manner of good wins against Aberdeen over the years from total muggings to "Motherwell" performances as SK would say and on to games where we actually were the better footballing side and outplayed them.

Bizarrely the contrarian in me half fancies our chances there next week, purely on the basis that their form is so good they're obviously due a slip.

2 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

We should change our tagline to "we improve players careers"

Technically we're improving their lives by doing that, so I guess we can stick with that for now. 😉