Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I know we sign countless jobbers from Scottish and English clubs on a yearly basis, but we don't really seem to ever manage to get a left field signing correct. 

Wee Davor has been alright tbf but aye, most end up in the Casper Sloth side of the column.

What the f**k is the script with Kofi Balmer btw?  We paid a fee for him from Crystal Palace didn't we and other than a start against Edinburgh City, he's barely had his arse off the bench.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Wee Davor has been alright tbf but aye, most end up in the Casper Sloth side of the column.

What the f**k is the script with Kofi Balmer btw?  We paid a fee for him from Crystal Palace didn't we and other than a start against Edinburgh City, he's barely had his arse off the bench.

I've been thinking the same for a while. Given how well the current back three are playing, I'm not sure who I'd drop from there for him.

I think the majority would have expected him to start alongside Gordon and McGinn but Casey's form has been great, to be fair.

If we're chasing the game tomorrow and need some thunderb*****d throw-ins, I'm sure he'll come on.

Edited by StAndrew7

4 hours ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Have been reading that the Scottish government may consider lifting the alkyhol ban at footie games.

Do any of ye oldies remember where Motherwell's first game was after the ban came in?

Any youngsters want to hazard a guess?

It's so obvious you couldn't make it up.

The only time i ever wrote to my MP was to complain about the continued government stance against reinstating terracing or standing areas.   Got the typical 'not worth the risk of it going wrong on our watch, so sod that' response i expected.   That was years and years and years ago, we're only just getting the chance to overcome it.   So yeah, like the other replies i reckon the booze ban will stay in place, because The Powers That Be will view the risk of one bad incident outweighs any positives.

And if they did surprise me, i bet it would be under _disappointing_ terms.  Remember the Nancy away match?  I queued up for a while to get the beers in, even missed the kick off.  Was quite pleased to see the beers weren't that expensive, but was pretty pissed off once i spotted the beer was 2% strength, so basically beer-flavoured fizzy water.  Not much chance of creating a riot on that stuff!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

23 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I've been thinking the same for a while. Given how well the current back three are playing, I'm not sure who I'd drop from there for him.

I think the majority would have expected him to start alongside Gordon and McGinn but Casey's form has been great, to be fair.

If we're chasing the game tomorrow and need some thunderb*****d throw-ins, I'm sure he'll come on.

Aye, I don't think you can reasonably make an argument for dropping one of McGinn, Gordon or Casey at the moment so I'd imagine Balmer will just have to bide his time until someone f**ks up or gets injured.

I don't think we've even been that comfortable in a game we're we'd have had an opportunity to f**k about and find out about him. Barring the Edinburgh City game he's had a solitary minute at the end of the Killie game in place of Miller.

One thing that did cross my mind was whether we might consider him as an option to cover SOD if his injury keeps him out for any length of time. I seem to remember when there was chat about him signing that while he's most effective on the right of a 3 he played RWB on one of his loans.

I mean, by all accounts it looks like Kaleta will slot in there after his fairly robust showing a week ago but I guess if Koutroumbis isn't quite there yet it may be an option.

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

From what I have heard, I am not surprised by this at all. However with Vale being injured and Ferrie now away on loan aswell it does leave us on the side of f**k… a couple of injuries again and we are short of options which let’s face it is more than likely to happen….

Charles Dunne has just set his Sat nav for ML1.

I hear the sound of disembowelling cutlasses being sharpened.

On 21/06/2024 at 20:53, Archie McSquackle said:

Haud the (McGill's) bus! About 6 minutes in, he's playing for Serbia (under 21's?) against Switzerland at Cappielow. Is this some sort of parallel universe?

On 21/06/2024 at 20:57, YassinMoutaouakil said:

What a spot. He must love it there. Been told he's guaranteed at least one cup tie against them a season.

Convinced we've been conned here.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2024/09/27/martyn-corrigan-reminiscing-about-old-times/

It was funny seeing the Kaiser mentioned on here last week and now there’s a nice piece on the website with him where he mentions the Fitzpatrick semi and that back pass. Seems a great guy.

He’s the first Motherwell right back I remember watching. I remember him being solid and composed on the ball and it was certainly a downgrade when Paul Quinn took over. Although I had only just started high school at the time so my memory is hazy. 

Edited by Gianfranco

20 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Convinced we've been conned here.

Imrie has actually said we've been after him since January as well, with it starting with his agent contacting Imrie rather than the other way round. Obviously you coming in for him in the summer got in the way of that, but he evidently loves the Cowshed.

21 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2024/09/27/martyn-corrigan-reminiscing-about-old-times/

It was funny seeing the Kaiser mentioned on here last week and now there’s a nice piece on the website with him where he mentions the Fitzpatrick semi and that back pass. Seems a great guy.

He’s the first Motherwell right back I remember watching. I remember him being solid and composed on the ball and it was certainly a downgrade when Paul Quinn took over. Although I had only just started high school at the time so my memory is hazy. 

The Kaiser was a 7/10 every week. He ended up a great player.

2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

The only time i ever wrote to my MP was to complain about the continued government stance against reinstating terracing or standing areas.   Got the typical 'not worth the risk of it going wrong on our watch, so sod that' response i expected.   That was years and years and years ago, we're only just getting the chance to overcome it.   So yeah, like the other replies i reckon the booze ban will stay in place, because The Powers That Be will view the risk of one bad incident outweighs any positives.

And if they did surprise me, i bet it would be under _disappointing_ terms.  Remember the Nancy away match?  I queued up for a while to get the beers in, even missed the kick off.  Was quite pleased to see the beers weren't that expensive, but was pretty pissed off once i spotted the beer was 2% strength, so basically beer-flavoured fizzy water.  Not much chance of creating a riot on that stuff!

I genuinely wouldn't trust any of the city clubs with it, and I'd ban St Mirren too just because, but everyone else would be fine. The Dundee clubs and Aberdeen can have a trial period on the 2% stuff. 

See the thing with boozing in the ground. That isn't ever gonna be the issue. Folk get tanked afore. Many pints you think you can get in a 2 hour period at FP for example? 2 at most I'd say. 

We’ve survived for years without booze at the games, why change now?. If you can’t go the two hours or so you spend inside the ground without a beer, then you have a problem. 
I think it would be a logistical nightmare anyway

How much of our crowd actually drink as part of their day at the game anyway? There's a decent proportion who will be driving, going with kids or underage. Then there are the "gen z" crowd who are increasingly teetotal.

This leaves you with a couple of thousand folk trying to get served in a 15 minute period by bar staff who probably never pull a pint the rest of the week in a facility which struggles to provide hot water at times. 

Said beer will likely be the warmest pishwater, end up chucked at an opposition player after 5 mins and cause some of our more raging fans to want to fight more.

It's a no from me. Those who want to drink can already do so before and after the game and I doubt it will bring in enough revenue for it to be worth the hassle

46 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

We’ve survived for years without booze at the games, why change now?. If you can’t go the two hours or so you spend inside the ground without a beer, then you have a problem. 
I think it would be a logistical nightmare anyway

And if you don't want one, no problem. I seriously doubt anyone will be buying half a dozen pints of pish water at £6 a throw but if someone wants a beer in their seat in the sun watching the warm-up, and clubs can bank the cash, why not?

From my experience here I certainly don't waste time going during the game but it definitely encourages you in early on a spring or summer afternoon - though significantly more at Hertha Berlin than Union tbf - which is a clearly stated goal of virtually every club in our league.

Ultimately for me it's a question of choice and fairness - the notion English football fans and Scottish rugby fans etc can get a pint if they want while Scottish football fans can't is just ridiculous for 90% of games.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

if someone wants a beer in their seat in the sun watching the warm-up, and clubs can bank the cash, why not?

That's another step . AFAIK football fans in England are allowed to drink on the concourse but not in their seats.  Cricket and Rugby fans are. 

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

The Kaiser was a 7/10 every week. He ended up a great player.

He had a very slow start, as he diplomatically mentioned...along with Woods and Adams, he formed part of the unholy trinity for a while.

But the turnaround was remarkable and at his peak 7/10 was a very poor game for him.

On my deathbed I'll remember Coyne sticking it the wrong side of the post in Dortmund and my final words will be 'Kaiser, why didn't you just put it in row Z?'

26 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

That's another step . AFAIK football fans in England are allowed to drink on the concourse but not in their seats.  Cricket and Rugby fans are. 

I'm not arsed about drinking at games - happy to do that in the pub - but literally the only reason that I want to see it back is because cricket and rugby fans are legally seen as "better" than (Scottish) football supporters.

Unless they are actually considering allowing you to drink your beer in your seat (unlikely) I dont see the point.

Did hospitality at Ibrox last year for the Casey winner, and tried to have a half time beer.

By the time we got to the bar and ordered, we physically didnt have time to drink our pints before they were chasing us out the bar. Tried reasoning with the steward attempting to chase us, but would have been better talking to a brick wall.

Not against it in principle.

Just dont see how it works in any way that would be acceptable to the authorities.