Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

Watching Ewan Wilson having another really solid game on Saturday really reminded me of what both Stevie McMillan and Stevie Hammell were like after getting a run of 1st team games and taking their chance. He has probably been over-shadowed quite a bit as Lennon is being hyped massively at the moment - but the way he's stepped into a pretty experienced team and now looks every inch a first team player is properly impressive when he doesn't come with the expectations everyone has/had for Miller.

Wilson and Ox should be getting new contracts now tbh, if they'll sign them.

Miller can obviously renew each week if he wants, the rest of the ooc are variously ranked in the maybe pile.

Aye, getting Ox and Wilson signed up for another couple of years should be a priority before January comes around, imho.

I'm not sure Miller will sign an extension but it'd be nice to get an extra year on his deal to add some value to hopefully counter the good point @crazylegsjoe made earlier.

35 minutes ago, Swello said:

Watching Ewan Wilson having another really solid game on Saturday really reminded me of what both Stevie McMillan and Stevie Hammell were like after getting a run of 1st team games and taking their chance. He has probably been over-shadowed quite a bit as Lennon is being hyped massively at the moment - but the way he's stepped into a pretty experienced team and now looks every inch a first team player is properly impressive when he doesn't come with the expectations everyone has/had for Miller.

It feels "right" to have one of our own at Left Back as it's traditional - has the curse been lifted?

One of the guys I was at the game with made a great point* about this on Saturday re Wilson.  All the hype that's going into Miller at the moment, it allows Wilson just to go about his business quietly and out the way.  He's certainly improving week by week as his confidence grows.  I'd like to think the club are making every effort to get him tied down for the next few years.

*It has only stuck with me because he very rarely makes a great point...

56 minutes ago, Swello said:

It feels "right" to have one of our own at Left Back as it's traditional - has the curse been lifted?

Just gie him a 15 year contract.

There was a stage on Saturday just after James Scott came on that he had Wilson 1v1 2 or 3 times in the space of 5 minutes, and every time Wilson just calmly dispossessed him. We might've had players like Gent last season on the left of defense who offer more going forward, but I thinks its been years since we had a left back who is so solid defensively. 

Edited by JohnMFC

Loan Window closes for Premiership clubs to loan out to the diddy leagues today. Only one I can think of that I had expected to go out on loan that hasn't is Dylan Wells. Sill time left but it'd be really disappointing if he spent the season without getting any real first team minutes. 

1 hour ago, JohnMFC said:

There was a stage on Saturday just after James Scott came on that he had Wilson 1v1 2 or 3 times in the space of 5 minutes, and every time Wilson just calmly dispossessed him. We might've had players like Gent last season on the left of defense who offer more going forward, but I thinks its been years since we had a left back who is so solid defensively. 

He's also got a f**king great delivery on him. Hopeful that the regular addition of Ap Stam attacking the 6 yard box will turn some of them home.

See I’ve got a Christmas night out on both the Friday and Saturday night. I was hoping to make the game on the Saturday afternoon and then head straight to the second one but now I’ll probably miss the game. 

It’s a nice idea and I like Friday night fitba but it won’t suit a lot of folk at that time of year. 

Edited by Gianfranco

6 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

See I’ve got a Christmas night out on both the Friday and Saturday night. I was hoping to make the game on the Saturday afternoon and then head straight to the second one but now I’ll probably miss the game. 

It’s a nice idea and I like Friday night fitba but it won’t suit a lot of folk at that time of year. 

Aye, even allowing for it inconveniencing me massively so a bias at play, I'm not convinced it's the winner it would be at other points in the year.

But it sounds like a TV decision rather than the club doing sums on the crowd tbh so no real complaint.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye, even allowing for it inconveniencing me massively so a bias at play, I'm not convinced it's the winner it would be at other points in the year.

But it sounds like a TV decision rather than the club doing sums on the crowd tbh so no real complaint.

I can’t make it either. Friday night games can be great but in Christmas party/enforced visiting season I agree the crowd might not be what it would be at other times. 

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Ewan Wilson has the potential to be the next Stevie Hammell.

There is no greater praise for a Motherwell left back.

Well, there is. But we arent going there! 😆😆😆

Good to hear he's doing well. This time last year he was in and out of the Stirling Albion team despite his obvious quality, obvious to everyone apart from Darren Young or whoever cancelled his loan spell for whatever reason.

3 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Loan Window closes for Premiership clubs to loan out to the diddy leagues today. Only one I can think of that I had expected to go out on loan that hasn't is Dylan Wells. Sill time left but it'd be really disappointing if he spent the season without getting any real first team minutes. 

There you go...