Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think this signing is the  "...and the squad" part - and I'm fine with that. We've got a lot of games coming up and our options have looked massively limited recently - so signings like Foley make sense in that regard.

The club may be looking higher but our basic goal for the rest of the season is to match County and Accies from this point on. A proper rebuild will (as usual) be needed in the summer - and this is likely to be a big one..

Aye. Absolutely,

I should have added this into my wee spiel above, I get why we've signed him and bringing in someone who has recent experience of scrapping at the in the bottom 6 compared to our collection of shitebags seems a smart move so I'm also fine with it. Even more so after actually winning a game.

It's a deal until the end of the season so there's no real risk and I see from the news story he played with both Long and Smith at Northampton so if it helps Smith integrate with the squad a bit (given all the chat about the difficulties for players coming up here on their tod) then that's probably a good thing.

The league deciding to condense the fixtures as they have is fucking terrifying btw.

Edited by capt_oats

I mind laughing with my brother at the St Mirren stadium announcer for giving Foley a proper cringeworthy nickname when reading the lineups, think it was "Captain Fantastic" or something along those lines.

Was less funny when he was putting them 4-1 up at Fir Park a few weeks later mind

On 28/01/2021 at 19:28, well fan for life said:

I'll catch up on the podcast tomorrow morning to break up the monotony of Zoom calls but I've got the gist of what was said. I don't blame him for bailing. He was becoming like a Lanarkshire version of Sisyphis having to endlessly rebuild the squad with an ever diminishing budget.

Listened to the podcast last night. Tbh I was just expecting a 5-10 minute interview I didn't expect him to be on for the full hour or whatever it was. In saying that I don't think there was anything in it that was particularly surprising. Without wanting to turn Robinson into some Tommy Wright/St Johnstone figure despite him no longer being manager this is still his mess so some of what he was saying still seems relevant.

Absolutely don't blame him for not fancying another rebuild and even the stuff about players looking at pre-contracts at other clubs or having said they're planning on leaving in the summer - that's not really news is it?

You look at the number of players who left/moved on during/at the end of the 18/19 season (Rose, McHugh, Aldred, Cadden etc) and it's kind of to be expected given the whole "we'll give you a platform to progress your career" sales pitch. I mean, fair play to guys like Tait, Kipré, Dunne, Bowman, Grimshaw, Carson, Donnelly, Carroll and especially Turnbull who did actually extend their contracts after having been first team regulars.

Flat out saying "No" when Currie asked him if he regretted his criticism of the players was a LOL. I can't imagine who he's talking about in saying that "for some players Motherwell was their last option" and that the lesson he's learned is that if a player doesn't really want to be at the club then don't sign them.

His point about the club having never asked players to take a pay cut over the last year wasn't surprising as if they had it'd probably have been public but it was kind of new information to have it clarified (granted they had been furloughed but still...)

All in all everything about this season seems to have been a shite time for everyone concerned.

People have taken exception to his reference to putting a young boy on before Dundee Utd scored.  I can’t remember the actual wording but I didn’t think he was throwing Cornelius under the bus. He needs to accept that he made the substitution when he had other options.  If we had been 2-0 up it wouldn’t be getting discussed.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

People have taken exception to his reference to putting a young boy on before Dundee Utd scored.  I can’t remember the actual wording but I didn’t think he was throwing Cornelius under the bus. He needs to accept that he made the substitution when he had other options.  If we had been 2-0 up it wouldn’t be getting discussed.

I didn't really see much about the comment to take exception to.

The quote was:

Dundee United on Boxing Day, we were winning, we were excellent, we were playing some super football. If we'd won 3 or 4 nil I don't think there would have been any complaints from Dundee United. We end up losing a goal in the last minute after bringing a young player on. You know, that's what Motherwell are we have to put the young boys in so rightly or wrongly. You never throw these kids under the bus you've got to protect them and you've ultimately got to take the blame on it.

I mean, he's literally saying he takes the blame for it.