Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

50 minutes ago, Desp said:

Season Ticket renewal emails will be out soon, I take it? 

Genuine question to all - what's your thoughts on purchasing one for 21/22? 

Will you buy one again, because you always do? 

Do you take the option of the free ST, considering MFC promised to honour 19 games at FP when buying the 20/21 ticket? 

Do you not claim your refund from 20/21 but decline to buy a 21/22 ticket? 

I appreciate not everyone will want to talk about it, its a very personal choice. I've always bought an ST in the years I've been going to FP (missed a couple of years in recent times) but having bought a 20/21 ticket, I really don't know. 

The money I spend on my ST is budgeted for every year. I know it's coming so that money is there. I've been very fortunate throughout Covid times that my work hasn't been effected and I've WFH throughout. I haven't lost any income. However, can I still justify writing off that cash to buy another ST to my wife and kids? Is that selfish? 

I heard the boys on AVFTT speaking about similar on their show and they are right, you know the media guys will pull out some big emotional advert on the socials, pulling at the heart strings. 

I'm really just thinking out loud here, but keen to hear others' thoughts. 

Work hasn't been affected for me over the past year, so I'll be buying a season ticket as soon as they go on sale as I always do and forgetting about the 19 games thing as I've at least had something for my money this season (regardless of how much I still hate watching streams).

I just hope that there is no "best supporter" pissing competition out of all of this. If folk want to take up the 19 games thing, they've got *every* right to and shouldn't be getting made to feel that they're letting the club down or any of that pish.

The most important thing for the club's long term viability at this point is that folk get back in the habit of actually going to games and having a lot of people with "free games" in the bank will be an effective marketing tool. If it means our income is down next season but recovers to close to it's pre-pandemic level the season after and beyond, then the 19 games thing is a big positive.

12 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I will be paying for my season ticket once again. Tbh if it were up to me i would give the 19 games worth of tickets back to the club who could then give them out to kids/youths. It means they are still getting my season ticket money and enxouraging the crowds to come back who may otherwise would not.

In any case i am fortunate to be in a positoon where my job is mostly secure and i have been workig throughout the pandemic. The only real differemce for myself was working from home but that became boring by the end of May last year. I cant give as much as i like to the Well Society so hopefully putting a few hundred in a season ticket helps.

Also @welldaft, i posted that just before Alan sent out the second tweet. Still looks much better and maybe it wont be dull/dark druing midweek games!

That is a smashing idea, the Club already does the heavily discounted tickets for kids but there is probably a small gap that it just misses of people who don't quite fall into the kids bracket. With everything going there would almost certainly be a family somewhere very very grateful that their child can go watch the football every other Saturday that couldn't afford it this season for reason or another. 

I am no expert in that sort of thing but that could be a great idea for people who are able to pay for a full season ticket to donate season tickets to some kids who aren't able to afford.

I've also been lucky with work. That's me coming up on a year working from home and I spent a load of November/December absolutely hammering into overtime because there was f**k all else to  do. My usual is that I'll renew as soon as they come out. I've always stuck the season ticket money away so I can take care of it whenever the renewal comes out. 

The club definitely hopped in slightly too early offering that amount of home games so I suspect it'll be a case of you can opt to keep them or just renew. I'm not sure anyone predicted it would be this long and we'd still be out the stadium. Was talking about this with my mate in work. We were initially sent home and told something along the lines of "we're just getting you to work from home as a precaution. We'll get you all back in the office by May." so look how that turned out. For me I expected we'd have been allowed in to football stadiums to some degree by now but obviously that's not possible. 

13 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Getting back into Fir Park is exactly the lift some/all of us need, the escapism and release of mixing with friends and watching your team, and it can't come quickly enough. 

This is it for me. Ultimately it's a good laugh going to the football. You see your pals, you chat shite and somewhere in there a football game happens too. 

Reckon I might end up just having a big ol' cry when we get back in the stadium tbh. 

29 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I will be paying for my season ticket once again. Tbh if it were up to me i would give the 19 games worth of tickets back to the club who could then give them out to kids/youths. It means they are still getting my season ticket money and enxouraging the crowds to come back who may otherwise would not.

In any case i am fortunate to be in a positoon where my job is mostly secure and i have been workig throughout the pandemic. The only real differemce for myself was working from home but that became boring by the end of May last year. I cant give as much as i like to the Well Society so hopefully putting a few hundred in a season ticket helps.

Also @welldaft, i posted that just before Alan sent out the second tweet. Still looks much better and maybe it wont be dull/dark druing midweek games!

I figured as much re Flows tweet. The renovations do look good or what we can see so far. 

I also think that is an excellent suggestion. Would need to be worked out so that any season ticket books are genuinely going to those who would not have renewed in any case or can not afford one. Should be fairly simple to sort out. 

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Reckon I might end up just having a big ol' cry when we get back in the stadium tbh. 

The pictures of painted steelwork on 'Flow's twitter was enough to do that to me

I 'll say right now that I don't think I'll be able to handle the inevitable "welcome home" video #content that the club will put out in the run up to the first game back.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

The pictures of painted steelwork on 'Flow's twitter was enough to do that to me

I 'll say right now that I don't think I'll be able to handle the inevitable "welcome home" video #content that the club will put out in the run up to the first game back.

Oh aye. I'll be a greeting mess. 

Looking forward to watching us get a man sent off in a stinking 2-0 home loss on our first game back. Ain't nothin' changes but the weather. 

Some great points lads. I'll be honest, I will purchase a new ST as I'm in the fortunate position of being able to. I had just wanted to get a few discussion points added to the debate. 

If anyone wants to take up a free ST for 21/22, they should do so without a second thought. Everyone will have had different circumstances through the Covid times and if it means another arse in a Fir Park seat, all the better. You don't feel bad about getting your money back, or changing dates, for a holiday you didn't go on, therefore the emotional pull of MFC shouldn't have an effect on your decision here. 

The idea that @Phillips455 suggested about donating your "19 games" from last season to kids or folk who might not be able to afford a day at the football is a brilliant one, and one I'd definitely sign up for if there's a way of facilitating it. 

P.s Digital menu's at the pie stalls in the East Stand? I never thought I'd see the day!

I'll also be an emotional wreck when I finally get to walk up those East Stand steps. I'll need someone to hug upon arrival. 

I'll most likely purchase a season ticket for next season which will be my first in years. I'm usually a PATG punter and give the games against the Old Firm a wide berth which is why I don't usually bother with a season ticket.

I thought about getting a season ticket this season but my job was on a shoogly peg due to some virus floating about and I've also been saving for a wedding. My work situation is thankfully now sorted and the wedding has been paid off. The club will most likely need all the support they can get so I'm happy to fork out. Hopefully my first season ticket in a few years doesn't see us playing Championship football, right enough.

I'm curious to see if the ST plan is discussed at the AGM tomorrow. I'd imagine it will be.

As far as the revenue the ST sales generate I've always wondered exactly how much it is, clearly it's a substantial amount and provides cashflow through the summer etc. However as there's never actually any published split (as far as I'm aware) that amount could be vary wildly. When the club are promoting their sales (and credit is due to everyone involved in the % increase we've seen year on year) I'd imagine that the free tickets and youth tickets are incorporated into that figure. IIRC this season's sales were in the same ballpark as 19/20 - which was 4,488 according to the Tweet the club put out.

Going by Jim McMahon's statement re: ST refunds had every ST  claimed it would have been north of £130k.

“Should every season ticket holder claim a refund, the cost to the club will be north of £130,000."

Link

So assuming the split of ST sales was roughly the same this season as last.some very rough arithmetic means that £130k/4 (home games left) = £32,500 x 19 = £617,500 as an approx. value of ST for a season.

Depending on how the club have budgeted for this season and honouring the 19 games there's a fair chance Div Turnbull could be paying a lot of folk in

Given there was a VAT benefit to leaving the balance of the 19/20 ST as a 'donation' I wonder if it'll be an option to do the same.

LEAVING YOUR REMAINING VALUE AS A DONATION

Should you choose to leave your remaining value with the club, we have been made aware that we may be able to recover the VAT of any refunds not claimed, providing us with further necessary funds.

If you do not claim a refund before Wednesday 17 June, we will deem that you have given us your permission to attempt to claim the VAT back on your unclaimed amount, which may allow us to claim back around £22,000 to assist the club.

Link

FWIW, as I've mentioned before I'm not a ST holder and never have been but given the circumstances I'd be happy enough to make next season my first.

Edited by capt_oats

on the topic of season ticket sales, fans being allowed back into the stadium and a follow on from the SIWY fanzine post the other day, there was a part in it about fans not wanting to return to stadiums, they obviously had there reasons for this. Is there anyone who can't see themselves returning to the football? Whether it's down to not feeling safe, how this season has panned out. 

For me, I can't wait to go back, however I am not overly bothered about being allowed back in, in the same manner Aberdeen and Ross county got to trial before Christmas.

That first day back will be a cracker, surely the attendance will be up on the norm for a while?

On 15/12/2020 at 15:59, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Picture the scene. August 2021, vaccines have been rolled out, Scotland is officially declared Covid free. As a thank you to the local community after 18 months of hell the club have made the first game of the season free for everybody, going into schools etc with massive uptake. 5000 folk meet outside the Electric Bar and walk to game en masse, a festival of colour and noise on a beautiful late summer's day.

Motherwell 0 St Johnstone 1 (Kane, 23) 

There's still time, lads. 

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Ricardo Lamievalho anyone?

Let's no get ahead of ourselves. A decent performance tonight but let's see how he gets on against a team with a decent striker. 

12 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I'm curious to see if the ST plan is discussed at the AGM tomorrow. I'd imagine it will be.

As far as the revenue the ST sales generate I've always wondered exactly how much it is, clearly it's a substantial amount and provides cashflow through the summer etc. However as there's never actually any published split (as far as I'm aware) that amount could be vary wildly. When the club are promoting their sales (and credit is due to everyone involved in the % increase we've seen year on year) I'd imagine that the free tickets and youth tickets are incorporated into that figure. IIRC this season's sales were in the same ballpark as 19/20 - which was 4,488 according to the Tweet the club put out.

Going by Jim McMahon's statement re: ST refunds had every ST  claimed it would have been north of £130k.

So assuming the split of ST sales was roughly the same this season as last.some very rough arithmetic means that £130k/4 (home games left) = £32,500 x 19 = £617,500 as an approx. value of ST for a season.

Depending on how the club have budgeted for this season and honouring the 19 games there's a fair chance Div Turnbull could be paying a lot of folk in

Given there was a VAT benefit to leaving the balance of the 19/20 ST as a 'donation' I wonder if it'll be an option to do the same.

FWIW, as I've mentioned before I'm not a ST holder and never have been but given the circumstances I'd be happy enough to make next season my first.

Has the link for the AGM come out yet?