Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It is feasible that we achieve all our aims in the game against Dundee United.  That being the case then I don’t mind who gets a game against Ross County, U16s mainly I hope.

Guest superward
3 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I was previously advocating leaving him out once we were safe, but Saturday's victory propping us up into 7th makes me think that we play our best team for the last two games and try and finish as high as we can. 

Yep I was the same. Also agree just keep it as it is now and try and get 7th. Gallagher is out best bet at centre half to do that still

I'm still quite intrigued about what's actually happened with Gallagher's contract. The gun to head chat was obviously nonsense, there's a multitude of reasons both financially and in terms of optics for future signings that we aren't going to pay our captain to rot in the reserves for a year. Equally though I'd be surprised if we're not being compensated in some way, even if it's less than we'd have hoped this time last year.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm still quite intrigued about what's actually happened with Gallagher's contract. The gun to head chat was obviously nonsense, there's a multitude of reasons both financially and in terms of optics for future signings that we aren't going to pay our captain to rot in the reserves for a year. Equally though I'd be surprised if we're not being compensated in some way, even if it's less than we'd have hoped this time last year.

My best guess is that we've just amended the contract with a view that if he's in the Euros squad and we get money as a result of that then it's fair compensation for a player we signed for nothing anyway. So that was the compromise; he sticks around until the end of the season, we waive the extension clause and he moves on a free but we bank the Euros money (if we're actually eligible to collect).

Thinking back to Robinson's not-exactly-veiled chat about players who had agents in their ear making promises and making them think they're better than they actually are...Hmmmmmm.

Incidentally I notice Robinson was talking about Motherwell again (quelle suprise):

"Robinson sees a lot of work ahead for his successor Graham Alexander, and said: "I think it will be another huge turnover.

"Liam Kelly will go back to his parent club [QPR], I think they'll lose Allan Campbell and Declan Gallagher, Devante Cole, Chris Long... it's going to be another big rebuild.

"But Graham has come in and he's steadied things. They've been hard to break down, hard to beat, and he'll want to put his own stamp on it."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

On Robinson's comments there, I think the only one I'd be genuinely disappointed to lose is Cole. Campbell as well, obviously, but we've had months to mentally prepare for that.

Cole is in the form of his career and I'd like to think we could convince him to stay another season with a view to possibly getting a Championship club. In saying that, I don't think anyone could blame him if he wanted to get back down the road (particularly in the current climate). I think if he leaves this summer then he'll be back to bouncing around League 1, albeit on bigger wages than we'd likely be able to offer him.

On Cole - I assume Robinson is talking about the state of play when he left. The fact that Cole has had a great run of goal scoring when played as an actual centre forward under Alexander may have changed the situation and at least allows us to make a valid case that we can get him a decent move on the back of a good season in 21/22. If it was fait accomplis that he was leaving, I'm not sure why Alexander would have bothered making positive noises about the prospect of him staying.

As with all players, regardless of how much I want them to stay-  I much prefer a quick decision. I hate players McDonald-ing it and fucking us around waiting until the last minute to see if anything better might come along.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

On Robinson's comments there, I think the only one I'd be genuinely disappointed to lose is Cole. Campbell as well, obviously, but we've had months to mentally prepare for that.

Cole is in the form of his career and I'd like to think we could convince him to stay another season with a view to possibly getting a Championship club. In saying that, I don't think anyone could blame him if he wanted to get back down the road (particularly in the current climate). I think if he leaves this summer then he'll be back to bouncing around League 1, albeit on bigger wages than we'd likely be able to offer him.

Agreed. He has never played above League 1 in England.

He is the undisputed starting striker for us. And bearing in mind it took him until October to sign up when he didn't have a club it doesn't look like any club down south was prepared to take a chance on him last summer.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

On Cole - I assume Robinson is talking about the state of play when he left. The fact that Cole has had a great run of goal scoring when played as an actual centre forward under Alexander may have changed the situation and at least allows us to make a valid case that we can get him a decent move on the back of a good season in 21/22. If it was fait accomplis that he was leaving, I'm not sure why Alexander would have bothered making positive noises about the prospect of him staying.

As with all players, regardless of how much I want them to stay-  I much prefer a quick decision. I hate players McDonald-ing it and fucking us around waiting until the last minute to see if anything better might come along.

This !

Any player offered a contract has until end of May / early June to decide.  None of this faffing about. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

You better believe I'm voting Lamie for POTM.

On one hand - his redemption arc has been great - on the other hand, that daft fucking passback on Saturday that sums up the massive brain farts he's prone to....

Had a listen to a bit of it there and it's quite something. See if you've just been binned for being a racist, how about you just sit this one out.

I particularly like this nugget from his statement:

I reckon I spent more time deliberating what cereal to have this morning than Mo took to reflect on his actions.

28 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Had a listen to a bit of it there and it's quite something. See if you've just been binned for being a racist, how about you just sit this one out.

I particularly like this nugget from his statement:

I reckon I spent more time deliberating what cereal to have this morning than Mo took to reflect on his actions.

Oh dear.

08445F16-0C07-47AC-8411-4562D367E035.png