Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, Desp said:

He didn't live in Motherwell. His complaint was the time taken to get to training. Something along the lines of "I have to leave the house at 9am and sometimes I don't get home until almost 5pm!"

I think the lack of sympathy he received surprised him.

He was renting a house just off Leven Street certainly for a spell while that chat was on the go....

On Jacob Blyth - Did he not post a selfie at his grandpa's funeral as well?

Or have I made that up?

There was a funeral selfie but I'm thinking it was his gran?
Not that it makes it any better.

18 minutes ago, mjw said:

There was a funeral selfie but I'm thinking it was his gran?
Not that it makes it any better.

He's still using it as his Twitter profile photo as well. In fairness to him, strictly speaking it's not a selfie. It's just a photo.

1euaMd7T_400x400.jpg

These are still the benchmarks of that sort of patter.

funeral-selfie.jpg

3D01321E00000578-4207946-image-a-1_14866

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

Dom Thomas, any info on him appreciated guys ?

Would be good business for all concerned. He's pretty much plateaued and stagnated at Fir Park. He's in the last year of his contract but he's really just skirted round the fringes of the team. He's been given more than a few chances but never really made an impact on the side. Probably the best example of this was last season where McGhee gave him a shot starting against East Stirling in the league cup but he ended up hooked after 53 minutes, similarly McGhee threw him on at half time in a TV game against Aberdeen last season which seemed a statement of sorts and he made no impression. He ended up out on loan for the rest of the season after the January window opened, which probably said a lot.

He broke through into the first team in the 14/15 season but the general consensus is that he should have been out on loan long before he finally got his 6 months at QoTS. Instead he was kept on and his problem was he he was a bit too close to the first team without actually being good enough to get into it. So he just seemed to send up sat on the bench week in, week out. "Flatters to deceive" would probably the politest way of describing him, I watched him a lot playing for our 20s and he was consistently the best player on the park he's quick and was able to go past full backs like they weren't there but invariably his final ball was found wanting and truth be told, it hasn't improved any. 

In his appearances for our first team (39 in total) he has zero goals and zero assists to his name. Put him in the first team and he was just brushed off the ball. There's clearly talent there but as mjw says, it just hasn't really worked out for him with our first team.

The best people to ask would be QoTS fans as they've seen him play, and start, a lot more regularly. They got some good performances out him as well. A move away from Fir Park would probably be best for all parties though, not least as there's really not much chance of him sticking around at the end of his deal so this season would largely be a case of him just treading water.

Dom Thomas situation sums up our club at the moment.

Let young talent wither on the vine while throwing cash at lower league English jobbers.

Even at Stirling last week, he came on and helped transform the game when guys like Dunne, Rose, Tanner, Kipre had been utter dross.

Probably a decent move for him as Kilmarnock seem to be a club that give young Scottish talent a chance.  Good luck to him.

Dom Thomas situation sums up our club at the moment.
Let young talent wither on the vine while throwing cash at lower league English jobbers.
Even at Stirling last week, he came on and helped transform the game when guys like Dunne, Rose, Tanner, Kipre had been utter dross.
Probably a decent move for him as Kilmarnock seem to be a club that give young Scottish talent a chance.  Good luck to him.

Prior to last week then the only thing I remember him turning was Jim Goodwin against St Mirren.
Not sure why you'd be gazing jealously at a club like Kilmarnock either. What's so special about their youth policy?

39 minutes ago, mjw said:

Prior to last week then the only thing I remember him turning was Jim Goodwin against St Mirren.
Not sure why you'd be gazing jealously at a club like Kilmarnock either. What's so special about their youth policy?

Towards the end of the season Kilmarnock were playing Greg Taylor, Iain Wilson, Greg Kiltie, Adam Frizzell and Dean Hawkshaw. 

We were playing Allan Campbell but only because McHugh was filling in at the back.

When we line up on the first day of the season the only recent youth product likely to start is a guy that made his debut in 2013-14.

As for Dom Thomas, he got approaching twice as many minutes on the field in a half season loan at QoS than he got at Motherwell spread out over four seasons, while absolute dross, you all know the names, come in season after season for another scraping around the bottom season of anti football.

Craig Clay got 31 league starts and 4 subs for us last season.  Dom Thomas got 4 sub appearances. 

When is it going to click why we are absolute garbage and zero entertainment value? 

Towards the end of the season Kilmarnock were playing Greg Taylor, Iain Wilson, Greg Kiltie, Adam Frizzell and Dean Hawkshaw.  We were playing Allan Campbell but only because McHugh was filling in at the back.

When we line up on the first day of the season the only recent youth product likely to start is a guy that made his debut in 2013-14.

As for Dom Thomas, he got approaching twice as many minutes on the field in a half season loan at QoS than he got at Motherwell spread out over four seasons, while absolute dross, you all know the names, come in season after season for another scraping around the bottom season of anti football.

Craig Clay got 31 league starts and 4 subs for us last season.  Dom Thomas got 4 sub appearances. 

When is it going to click why we are absolute garbage and zero entertainment value? 

We also bled in youngsters Will Graham, a young winger who LM expects big things from, and Innes Cameron, a striker who we've just knocked back a £200k bid from Derby and signed on a 3 year deal, he was on the bench 15 times last season while still at school, an absolute tank of a boy who should break through this year and knows how to finish.

Incidentally all our young lads have been coached through the ranks by two lads local to Motherwell & the surrounding area, Paul McDonald & Paul Di Giacomo......

Dom Thomas has been really unfairly treated at Motherwell IMO. Despite his long list of accomplishments-doing a stepover against St Johnstone that one time in 2015 - he's had to sit on the bench and watch the procession of English lower league dross that is Marvin Johnson, Lionel Ainsworth and Elliot Frear start ahead of him.

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Dom Thomas has been really unfairly treated at Motherwell IMO. Despite his long list of accomplishments-doing a stepover against St Johnstone that one time in 2015 - he's had to sit on the bench and watch the procession of English lower league dross that is Marvin Johnson, Lionel Ainsworth and Elliot Frear start ahead of him.

I can see what you are trying to do there - and failing.

The whole point is that Marvin Johnson, despite often sullenly doing the square root of f**k all for 4 or 5 weeks at a time, got picked on a regular basis because he had a little something about him.

What would any of these players done if restricted to 4 sub appearances over a season?

How many matches did Ainsworth come on and do literally nothing? Or start matches for that matter. 

And, as I'm sure you'll know but conveniently forgotten in order to make a bad point, there have been whole swathes of seasons when we didn't have a player who could play wide rather than there being a conveyor belt of top talent blocking the way.

That only thing you got right there was your attempt at irony.

30 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I can see what you are trying to do there - and failing.

The whole point is that Marvin Johnson, despite often sullenly doing the square root of f**k all for 4 or 5 weeks at a time, got picked on a regular basis because he had a little something about him.

What would any of these players done if restricted to 4 sub appearances over a season?

How many matches did Ainsworth come on and do literally nothing? Or start matches for that matter. 

And, as I'm sure you'll know but conveniently forgotten in order to make a bad point, there have been whole swathes of seasons when we didn't have a player who could play wide rather than there being a conveyor belt of top talent blocking the way.

That only thing you got right there was your attempt at irony.

But, conversely, how many times did we see Ainsworth on form and run riot?

Bear in mind the last time we gave Dom Thomas a start was, literally, against part-timers where he was hooked after 50 minutes for being absolutely and utterly pish.

Dom Thomas isn't going to happen for us. I wish him the best, but he's far too lightweight.

Just looking through the QotS thread and the jury seems to be out on Thomas down there as well.
Maybe if we had got him in that wonder gym we are supposed to have and he 'bulked up' it might have worked out for him.
I'm sure every Motherwell fan would love to see him starting every match and bringing us the kind of fee Marvin did but unfortunately it doesn't seem likely.