Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

No one has suggested there's specifically a vandetta against Motherwell, because there isn't. There is however a significant bias towards OF players which is why people slate O'Donnell and say he shouldn't be playing, despite Patterson not playing very often and not looking any better than SOD when he does.

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I struggle to fully understand the hype around Patterson. People seem to be setting him up as a right sided Tierney or Robertson when in reality I think his ceiling is probably closer to an Alan Hutton.

I genuinely haven’t seen enough to know, has anyone?  Has he ever played 10 games in a row anywhere?

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

It is nothing specific to Motherwell, if he played for St Mirren, Morton or Livingston he would get the same focus.

To be fair if Steve Clarke tried to call up a fucking St Mirren player to the national team I'd be leading the pitchforks outside Hampden.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

It is nothing specific to Motherwell, if he played for St Mirren, Morton or Livingston he would get the same focus.

Right, maybe I'm not following the point being made then, as when you said that people's disliking of him would be mitigated if he moved to another club? But now you are saying it wouldn't change if he moved to another club?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

No one has suggested there's specifically a vandetta against Motherwell, because there isn't. There is however a significant bias towards OF players which is why people slate O'Donnell and say he shouldn't be playing, despite Patterson not playing very often and not looking any better than SOD when he does.

I'd understand that point if it were only OF fans that were criticising O'Donnell though. And the criticism was there well before Patterson was ever in contention. Why would non-OF fans slate O'Donnell in favour of Patterson if they have no reason to show bias towards an OF player?

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

Right, maybe I'm not following the point being made then, as when you said that people's disliking of him would be mitigated if he moved to another club? But now you are saying it wouldn't change if he moved to another club?

I'd understand that point if it were only OF fans that were criticising O'Donnell though. And the criticism was there well before Patterson was ever in contention. Why would non-OF fans slate O'Donnell in favour of Patterson if they have no reason to show bias towards an OF player?

The other club would have to be perceived to be at a different level from Motherwell for the mitigation to take effect.

Just now, ropy said:

The other club would have to be perceived to be at a different level from Motherwell for the mitigation to take effect.

Well then I suppose that takes me full circle in wondering why Gallagher was praised for his Scotland performances when playing for Motherwell.

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

To be fair if Steve Clarke tried to call up a fucking St Mirren player to the national team I'd be leading the pitchforks outside Hampden.

That's only because you got battered at Love St once.

John McGinn and Kenny McLean learned their trade where? 

Edited by Munoz

Just now, AJF said:

Well then I suppose that takes me full circle in wondering why Gallagher was praised for his Scotland performances when playing for Motherwell.

Because Rangers didn’t have a central defender who was being kept out the team?

7 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think what he is saying is if O'Donnell played for Stoke or something the criticism would be less, but because he plays for a mid-table cinch team it's different.

Well everyone is criticised when they play for Scotland, by all fans, however I would suggest a lot of criticism (recently) has come from Rangers fans clamouring to get Patterson in, for some reason. (There's also probably the perception or assumption (from fans that don't watch Rangers or Motherwell) that because Patterson plays for Rangers he's automatically better.)

Edited by Mr. Brightside

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Because Rangers didn’t have a central defender who was being kept out the team?

1 minute ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I think what he is saying is if O'Donnell played for Stoke or something the criticism would be less, but because he plays for a mid-table cinch team it's different.

Well everyone is criticised when they play for Scotland, by all fans, however I would suggest a lot of criticism (recently) has come from Rangers fans clamouring to get Patterson in, for some reason.

Again though, O'Donnell was being criticised for Scotland well before Patterson was a viable candidate to come into the side and before any Rangers fans were calling for it. No doubt it has increased from Rangers fans since Patterson came onto the scene, but OF bias doesn't explain criticism from other fans of which there is plenty.

I think that's an aside from my original point though. I thought there was a claim that O'Donnell was unfairly criticised because he specifically played for Motherwell (rather than any non-OF team), hence why I was using Gallagher as the obvious counter.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Again though, O'Donnell was being criticised for Scotland well before Patterson was a viable candidate to come into the side and before any Rangers fans were calling for it. No doubt it has increased from Rangers fans since Patterson came onto the scene, but OF bias doesn't explain criticism from other fans of which there is plenty.

I think that's an aside from my original point though. I thought there was a claim that O'Donnell was unfairly criticised because he specifically played for Motherwell (rather than any non-OF team), hence why I was using Gallagher as the obvious counter.

The Motherwell link is coincidental, wait for the outcry when Kelly is selected in goals.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I struggle to fully understand the hype around Patterson. People seem to be setting him up as a right sided Tierney or Robertson when in reality I think his ceiling is probably closer to an Alan Hutton.

You say that as if Alan Hutton wasn't a great player for Scotland who played over 150 games in the EPL and played plenty of Champions League games.

Guest superward

SOD would be getting criticised if he was playing for Rangers or Celtic too. He's generally been poor for Scotland in a position with not much competition. Clarke has stuck by him through a lot too as he trusts him from his days at Killie.

As for Patterson, he's a good prospect and getting more airtime because he's at Rangers. Simple as that. But it's the old 'Luke Watt' argument. He must be better than SOD etc...

Edited by superward

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You say that as if Alan Hutton wasn't a great player for Scotland who played over 150 games in the EPL and played plenty of Champions League games.

I've maybe worded it badly. Essentially my view is that Patterson is a good young Scottish Premiership right back with the potential to develop into a good Scotland right back(i.e around about Alan Hutton level), currently being kept out of the international set up by a more experienced Scottish Premiership right back. 

Folk are acting like he's some guaranteed future star being kept out of the team by some huddy.