Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm completely apathetic to get pumped by the Old Firm now. It's different if we are neck and neck in a game or whatever, but generally if we are playing them and the third hits the back of the net, I'd rather focus on what I'm going to do with the rest of my day. Missing that game yesterday would have subtracted absolutely zero value from my life and I think there are several others who took that point of view.

It's not only the dealing with the scoreline and their horrible fans. Some of our fans are an utter red neck when we play them. Anyone who thinks Bobby Sands or the Pope are appropriate song topics for Motherwell are welcome to piss off to Ibrox in my eyes.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Aye, I’m done with the games vs them unless it’s a cup final in which we’ll inevitably lose anyway. Our entire group gave yesterday a miss.

Too much pish to go along with it to invariably watch us get pumped and I’ll enjoy the wind up if we somehow get a result either way

I could not go due yesterday to circumstances beyond my control.

But out of the 8 or 9 I know that usually go I think only 3 did. Says it all really. 

I would always go to home games regardless the opposition if was able to. But after a 6-1 battering of Rangers followed by a 4-0 going on 7-0 capitulation v Celtic it is almost understandable why fans would rather decide to do almost anything else. 

We have in the past been able to be competitive somehow but a drubbing is simply more inevitable. Especially when certain players seem defeated before they take to the pitch 🤬.

Hopefully a positive result this midweek to help kick on our top 6 /4 challenge.

In a lot of ways, I love the fact that our lowest home attendances are against Rangers and Celtic - they are not the box office that their own fans and many in the media assume. These games are a fucking chore and the ones that I look forward to least in any season (except the away OF games which I've not done since the late 90's anyway). I'm genuinely more excited about a midweek trip to Dingwall or Paisley than I am for the "biggest games of the season". 

Chairman Flao is in good form on this - his point that in order to build support, you need a long period of time and fucking off your own supporters by letting the most despised away supports in their seats for the sake of a few quid now is hugely counter productive. 

Haven't been to a home game against either Rangers or Celtic in years and have no intention to.

Their fans are shite and the games are usually shite to go along with it. Even on the (very) odd occasion we give them a game, I don't feel like I'm missing anything

In short, f**k them both.

Off the back of the Celtic fans falling over themselves on Twitter to offer advice on our finances I had a quick look at the numbers since we became fan owned in 2016...with 17/18 being our first full season of fan ownership:

16/17 - (£181,844)
17/18 - £1.72m
18/19 - (£435,970)
19/20 - £346,590
20/21 - £3.57m

Oh...

Edited by capt_oats

My last OF league game was Jamie Dolan day. Nowadays I'm not interested in listening to their shite or dealing with all the other carry on they bring with them.

I also think they should be kept to one stand so that we can keep the damage to a minimum, since a fair number of them don't seem to be house trained.

The idea that we could actually prioritise the experience of our own supporters, that we might get 50+ years of attendance/season tickets from, over folk that turn up a couple of times a season at most seems to be a weirdly hard thing to grasp for the famously self-aware Celtic twitter Da's. 

When people ask for concrete examples of why fan-ownership is a good thing - this is a perfect example as decisions/approaches like this are hugely less likely under the traditional benign dictator model of ownership. 

Lastly, the irony of people who support a club that was keeping *all* away supporters out long past the point it was necessary and not even allowing a PPV option can't be lost on anyone.

I quite look forward to OF home games. My "favourite" home games are probably ones against the Edinburgh sides and Aberdeen (or United, Killie etc it it's an important game) where there's a decent away support and sense of occasion but we've also a decent chance of a result. I prefer games against the OF than ones against Ross County or Livi.

Getting constant doings at Fir Park is wearing slightly thin though. People get quite fatalistic about the gap in resources widening but I think we should still be able to compete in one off games against anyone else in the league. In Robinson's first few years they seemed to genuinely dread coming here, and Alexander hasn't done too badly in Glasgow. We're maybe a bit unlucky in that shipping 3,4,5 or 6 infront of a home crowd sticks longer in the memory than a 1-1 at Ibrox or a 0-1 at Parkhead.

As @Swello highlights, as Burrows says, it isn't a short term thing, it's doing the right thing by our fans for a long time, which, broadly, thank f**k someone is.

Discounts, bring a pal, whatever the f**k, just nonsense.

Football fans show outstanding loyalty to clubs, and the only way to encourage them back (outside of, I dunno, winning loads of trophies and that) is to show it back. Commit to the players when you have them, commit to the fanbase and commit to the community that surrounds you and you'll be rewarded in time.

Do right by players, fans and staff (as we certainly seem to) and at the very, bare minimum, you won't lose fans.

Brainstorming here, the club should find a way to refuse entry to Old Firm fans if they have a Lanarkshire postcode. Solely out of vindictiveness.

I agree but wouldn’t keep it solely to Lanarkshire.

Ngl I’m looking forward to another Skippy Sunday post-split when we inevitably beat either them or Rangers and their players / staff have to walk back up the south stand stairway passed all their fans.

8 hours ago, beesher said:

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Always tickles me the sheer level of entitlement these goons have about going to an away ground and assuming that all clubs should just huckle their season ticket holders out the seats they've paid for because they've got a hugely over inflated opinion of the blue/green pound.

Self important p***ks, Hosetly think the world revolves around them. This c**t annoyed me too

Your chairman is a credit to your club. Motherwell for me have it bang on here and with so many of the stories I hear about your club it’s how I hope st mirren can be one day. Sadly since then ownership in the summer our board have been all over the place and still allow the old firm to roll all over us with the taking of the family stand . Isn’t it sad that The club that prides itself on community displaces the very fans it needs to nurture most. Our board for my money are all over the place at present with much more than this. We need an Alan burrows 

Edited by Norrie82