Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I hope the board are considering the free season ticket offers for next year again.  They'll fucking need it to convince folk to come and watch GA's "brand" of football. Absolutely fucking grim.  

The fact that that Dundee Utd team & this Motherwell team are sitting 4th & 5th in the league after 26 games shows what a shitshow the league has been this season.

If you'd said to me in the no-so-distant past that our best defender by miles would be Bevis Mugabe, our most effective player in midfield would be Bevis Mugabe, our most attack minded player would be Bevis Mugabe, and the most likely to grab a goal up top would be Bevis Mugabe, I fully believe my head would have fell off trying to figure that out. And yet here we are.

Absolutely fair play to the big legend though, actually stepping up above this ocean of pish rather than drowning in it like everyone else.

31 minutes ago, Desp said:

I hope the board are considering the free season ticket offers for next year again.  They'll fucking need it to convince folk to come and watch GA's "brand" of football. Absolutely fucking grim.  

The fact that that Dundee Utd team & this Motherwell team are sitting 4th & 5th in the league after 26 games shows what a shitshow the league has been this season.

This is why I'm reasonably comfortable about where we are at the moment.

Just as you should be reasonably comfortable that the others below won't catch you. 🤣

As we drop like a stone it's hard not to conclude a few things;

* The first half of the season luck as per Dundee and RC at home has deserted us. 

* That we perhaps underestimated the importance of TW who consistently bailed us out with his goals . Not suggesting we should have tried harder to keep him as I believe the relationship between him and GA had broken down.

* Having ditched our ' build from the back' approach to be replaced with long ball football is resulting in the most hard to watch dirge seen at FP for some time.

Yes, fortunes can change quickly but it's difficult to see how. 

Only satisfaction currently is that we are unlikely to get caught up in a bottom 2 fight due mainly to Dundee and SJ being so far detached .

Anyone offer me some hope?

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

This is why I'm reasonably comfortable about where we are at the moment.

Just as you should be reasonably comfortable that the others below won't catch you. 🤣

It's fucking wild, isn't it?  We haven't won in six, we look like we couldn't score in a brothel yet we're still joint 4th.

If you're venturing to North Lanarkshire on Saturday, just skip the game and go for a curry in the Indian Villa. 

1 minute ago, Marinello said:

Anyone offer me some hope?

Talks are in place to finalise a date for the first annual "P&B 'Well Thread Curry Chat" AGM via Zoom.  

Bring yer own pakora. 

It's weird - it feels like we've got one of the biggest squads (in terms of number of senior players rather than having reserves making up the numbers) we've had but it feels like a bit of a curse at this point as we've "rotated" ourselves to death. We've had understandable issues at the back due to a mad run of injuries but both midfield and forwards feel like we've changed too much recently.

Not having a nominal "best 11" by February feels like a bad thing.

52 minutes ago, Desp said:

It's fucking wild, isn't it?  We haven't won in six, we look like we couldn't score in a brothel yet we're still joint 4th.

If you're venturing to North Lanarkshire on Saturday, just skip the game and go for a curry in the Indian Villa. 

I'm not heading down, thankfully!

Similar to us last season by the way. We had that long awful spell. We're comfortably 4th and only lost out on 3rd on matchday 37.

Bizarrely, our top XI based on starts this season is:

Kelly (26)

O'Donnell (18)
Solhom (15)
Mugabi (22)
McGinley (22)

Slattery (21)
Maguire (11)
Goss (16)

Watt (18)
Van Veen (18)
Woolery (20)

Maguire just sneaks in to the starting XI ahead of Ojala, on the merit of having two substitute appearances to Ojala's one. It's nuts that someone who hasn't started 60% of our games is still in our most used XI!

24 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's weird - it feels like we've got one of the biggest squads (in terms of number of senior players rather than having reserves making up the numbers) we've had but it feels like a bit of a curse at this point as we've "rotated" ourselves to death. We've had understandable issues at the back due to a mad run of injuries but both midfield and forwards feel like we've changed too much recently.

Surely a settled starting 11 is the only way to try and garner some level of consistency and cohesion?

Outwith injuries and suspensions, the amount of chopping and changing Alexander does on a weekly basis is mind boggling. Have we put out the same starting eleven two weeks in a row this season?

Aside from the personnel choice, the 'football' is eye-bleedingly bad and we are utterly devoid of any attacking threat. It's a real chore watching this side, but with the bottom two so far adrift I'd say we're perfectly safe despite being shite, so Alexander and his brand are here for the long haul and there's plenty more of it to come.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Obviously injuries/suspensions/covid have meant we need to rotate players a fair amount. Most concerning, for me anyway, is the fact we don't really seem to have a first choice system that we then put whatever squad we have into. The fact we're still experimenting with wildly different tactics with every new game isn't exactly inspiring confidence. 

The current set up is amongst the worst football I've had the misfortune to watch at Motherwell. 

Re style of play, to en extent I understand the whole "it's the result that matters" thing (putting aside the fact that we aren't getting them), but for me if it's just the result that matters then I'll just check it on flashscore after the game. I don't need to watch it to find out the only thing that matters. If you want me to actually pay to watch it, then give me at least something to watch.

Normally Tannadice is one of my favourite away games, didn't miss that one for years but last night I paid the £12.50 to watch it online from the comfort of my own couch, and ended up even grudging that.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Dipping into other teams' threads from time to time, as one does, the same comments have dominated pretty much all of them all season long:

"Eye bleeding stuff" ; "Would get football stopped"; "What the **** is that team/formation?"; "Can't do the basics" etc.

The consolation for those currently outside the bottom two that "it could be worse" is a very small consolation indeed.

25 minutes ago, Al B said:

Re style of play, to en extent I understand the whole "it's the result that matters" thing (putting aside the fact that we aren't getting them), but for me if it's just the result that matters then I'll just check it on flashscore after the game. I don't need to watch it to find out the only thing that matters. If you want me to actually pay to watch it, then give me at least something to watch.

Normally Tannadice is one of my favourite away games, didn't miss that one for years but last night I paid the £12.50 to watch it online from the comfort of my own couch, and ended up even grudging that.

I'm the opposite - kind of drifted away from games at Tannadice having not won there since 2013 Higdon/Ojamma game....

I had hope last night and it could have been different had Goss's shot went in or Roberts buried his sitter. But I feared the worst once they scored.

To other people's points/views, I'm not overly concerned right now but i am edging towards it to be honest.

A lot riding on the last handful of games pre split already as we've really not picked up as many points from the post winter break run so far as I'd expected. Even though I didn't expect much against Hibs/Hearts/Celtic/Dundee U. I did expect more from Ross C and St Mirren. 

Settled team for me a must moving forward. The rotation through the injuries or player management hasn't helped the last 6 odd games.

Edited by eliphas

Out of the 3 must win games  we have already lost one. The next 2 games against Aberdeen are crucial if we want to save the rest of the season.

A win in the cup takes us one more step closer to Hampden (with a possible 3rd round at home) and will the teams around us playing each other a win would help both with the mood and position in the league. Aberdeen have thier game in hand so the could be only 1 point behind before our league game.

The only real hope that I have is the fact we have a relatively good home record (combined with an abysmal  away record) so I do hope for 2 wins but I won't expect it.

Trying to put a positive spin on things, losing away to United/Hearts and at home to Celtic, while drawing at home to Hibs and away to St Mirren, aren't exactly unexpectedly bad results in isolation, leaving County away as the only real shocker. This isn't an excuse, but we've pish away from home all season, so a run of 4 away fixtures and 2 home ones (one against Celtic) was never likely to garner many points. 

I'm not sure we're actually playing much worse than we were before Christmas, just a drop of maybe 10% in performance levels across the board, a tough run of games, and letting Watt go early have all created a perfect storm to leave us up shit creek. 

That said, I expect us to go out the cup on Saturday and take at most 1 point from the Aberdeen and Rangers league games.

You would think that in football either a manager picks players and moulds them in to a style, or picks a style and signs appropriate players, but it seems we have neither at the moment.

We've spent large parts of the season playing centre backs at full back.

You could pick any three of our midfield options and be none the wiser upon kick off what one would be the holding player, who would be going box-to-box and who was expected to create. With the exception of Goss who has carved out the niche of the occasional good delivery and absolutely nothing else quite well.

We have signed Tierney who's been our only bright spark of late, but he doesn't fit in the front three and it seems isn't trusted in the midfield three due to being lightweight.

We've got two strikers in Shields and Van Veen who to my uneducated eye, look like they'd perform best in a front two, yet even when we went to a back three, we still didn't try that. Mind you, the more I see of Van Veen, I feel that if there's not been a successful flick or nutmeg in the first half hour, we're as well taking him off. He might hit 10 by the time the season ends, but he's a scorer of good goals rather than a good goalscorer. I'd love to see him score a two yard tap in. In fact, I'd love to see anyone score a two yard tap in.

Hopefully Efford will come good but I don't look to Woolery or Roberts and see the creativity we need.