Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, tolka said:

I didn't see the reported move for Dan Casey coming. There was no word of it here, everyone was sure he was for the MLS.

The Irish Sun is not somewhere I'd normally think to look - although giving the ever-climbing Irish contingent I probably should.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/10161377/league-of-ireland-dan-casey-scottish-premiership-motherwell/

image.thumb.png.15e865c34daa05d115989552d35b82b5.png

2 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I was always led to believe by the club that the Scottish Govt loan for Covid relief is what paid for the pitch and not a penny of club funds  went it its cost.

Well, yes but the funds are still in our account. So you can say that either the Scottish Government paid for it or David Turnbull. Take your pick.

29 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I waited in vain for the "Cementing c***s" segment to start. Maybe that's in Part II.

Tbf, I notice this in the write up.

"Casey was a promising rugby and GAA player before opting to concentrate on football, earning a move to Sunderland.

He initially joined Bohs in the summer of 2017 following his release by the Black Cats and established himself as one of the country’s top defenders the following season."

Sold.

Fwiw:

1248339907_Screenshot2023-02-02at19_13_30.thumb.png.d14e662303654c56f308e4793f625c85.png

Edited by capt_oats

39 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

The Irish Sun is not somewhere I'd normally think to look - although giving the ever-climbing Irish contingent I probably should.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/10161377/league-of-ireland-dan-casey-scottish-premiership-motherwell/

image.thumb.png.15e865c34daa05d115989552d35b82b5.png

Clapping with his wee shinnies off like Shaun Hutchison used to do. Make him rich Motherwell.

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

Similar level in terms of positions in the league last few years. But Motherwell are a step up from Livingston. Albeit a relatively small step. 

I would take Martindale but we don’t have the money to pay Livi. And as it is a small step up I am sure he will hope a bigger club (Hibs etc) will come calling soon.

Now I have had time to sleep on it. I still want Hammell gone. His record in the league this season is a sackable offence. Not only that but as many have mentioned we are now stuck in reverse gear. With every performance we are getting worse.

Who genuinely thinks last night was a blip ? Even some of our better players from earlier in the season are regressing. That is on the Manager. 

None of the new players looked up too much. Early I know. But you would hope even with the short time he has had with them they would look better and give us some impetus or positive impact. Something is badly amiss. I genuinely feel the players have lost respect for Hammell that and they are not listening or both. 

That he (and possibly the Board) has repeatedly failed to sort out our porous (central) defence and soft as shit midfield is utterly negligent.

I suspect he may get this weekends game and maybe even the cup tie. But he should go now. Or failing to get a positive result v Aberdeen then after the weekend. We simply need to try something to stay up. Hammell is clearly not the answer and the Board should know and accept that as soon as possible. 

He doesn't want to leave us apparently, even Hibs and Aberdeen are a sideways step for him right now. He's pretty much here until our board tell him to go (as he's said in a lot of interviews). I think his fear of getting sacked will stop him going elsewhere personally. Even if Motherwell were to come in, I think he'd reject it.

He could take us down and stay in a job, or go to Hibs and get 5 months to get it right or face the sack. He could easily see out another 10 years with us without any worry of being told to go. 

If anything it'd need to be life changing money to make him think about it, which he won't get outside of OF/down south. He's got a young family, living where he grew up and settled at schools etc. It's not something his family would've experienced previously, unlike if he was a player that had to move around etc.

Martindale is probably at the right size of club, where he can influence everything and manage expectations. He seems too sensible to give that up for a half season at hibs or Aberdeen. Could only see him at us if he was sacked from Livi.

Enjoying the salty twitter replies to our development team game.

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Martindale is probably at the right size of club, where he can influence everything and manage expectations. He seems too sensible to give that up for a half season at hibs or Aberdeen. Could only see him at us if he was sacked from Livi.

Enjoying the salty twitter replies to our development team game.

That's pretty spot on I think. He's always said he owes the club as well, as far as I'm aware the club actually paid off some of the debts that were left to be recovered under the proceeds of crime reclamation thing, it would've stopped him passing his fit and proper test. 

He's also probably want the same influence as he has here, which is pretty much everything. He does the scouting, the recruitment, the negotiating on deals and everything in between. He even built the gym at Livi :D It's probably too much influence to have, and leaves us in a bad spot when he does leave. It's also not a level of influence many clubs will give up just for a manager

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Massive tangent but Livi/Martindale is an interesting one.  He's definitely a talented guy but it's rare for a manager to stay at a provincial team for more than a few years without it going stale in a McInnes, Robinson way. I wonder if he can avoid that.

If you read into what many said at the time, that he was running it all behind the scenes, then he's been doing it here for about 10 years. He was fully in charge of recruitment in League 1 which played into the tactics Hopkin played. In reality they were probably co-managers without the title due to his past. Even from League 1 it's been about 7 years I think?

13 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

If you read into what many said at the time, that he was running it all behind the scenes, then he's been doing it here for about 10 years. He was fully in charge of recruitment in League 1 which played into the tactics Hopkin played. In reality they were probably co-managers without the title due to his past. Even from League 1 it's been about 7 years I think?

Agree with all you've said before as well. At some point it'll reach a natural conclusion you'd think, but it won't be soon, I'd say. With clubs moving to more consistent staffing models like DoF and stuff, it just isn't a good fit elsewhere. 

When he was on the show with us the buzz he had about how he'd built the gym and done all sorts during covid was the same as the buzz he had for lyndon dykes and his role in making him who he is now was the same, and it would require a club to give him that level of control. He just fuckin loves being the guy, and grafts like f**k to keep being the guy. It sounds daft but it works because he works, and if you took any bit of it away I don't think it would.

3 hours ago, eliphas said:

From what I've been told the 'board conversation' has happened and Hammell has still got the backing for now. Mainly because he's been backed in January (another board conversation happened then too) and brought in players. 

All rides on the next two, possibly three games, performance and results.

I came on here to post what I expected would happen, and it's pretty much that. 

It would've been mental to back him this window if his future hinged on just 90 minutes of football. Especially when many of the 'solutions' were quite literally in the door at 3am that morning. 

I also don't think defeat on Saturday will see him gone either. The St Mirren game on the 15th will have given him two weeks to work the seven new additions into the squad. That'll be Hammell's time to show us what he's got. The only thing I can see bringing change about earlier is getting absolutely pumped at Aberdeen and put out the cup. 

I'd imagine 4 years in the pokie for coke and money laundering probably still restricts him to some extent. Especially outside of Scotland, so why risk it by moving on from a safe gig I guess 

Martindale, not Hammell...

Edited by eliphas