Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It just hit me; this is what it felt like to be an Accies supporter for those final years where they circled the plughole before plopping down to the Championship. I've got a whole new empathy towards them.

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Hahaha. Neil Lennon.

Genuinely shows you how bad we've become at this point where I looked at his name and thought...'could we?'  He'd certainly fire a rocket up a few of their arses.  Also, what a laugh it would be seeing the reactions of some of our more, ahem, loyal fans if he was in charge... 

Not my first choice by a million miles but him or Jim Goodwin would certainly come in with a point to prove.  We're absolutely relegated if we carry on as is.

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

It just hit me; this is what it felt like to be an Accies supporter for those final years where they circled the plughole before plopping down to the Championship. I've got a whole new empathy towards them.

I actually find this - being utterly shite and deservedly down by miles - easier to take than bobbing between 8th and 12th for weeks and going down because the music happened to stop a certain way on MD38.

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

Genuinely shows you how bad we've become at this point where I looked at his name and thought...'could we?'  He'd certainly fire a rocket up a few of their arses.  Also, what a laugh it would be seeing the reactions of some of our more, ahem, loyal fans if he was in charge... 

Not my first choice by a million miles but him or Jim Goodwin would certainly come in with a point to prove.  We're absolutely relegated if we carry on as is.

I'm up for a change but I draw the line at Lennon. An absolute horror show in the dugout who can lose a dressing room faster than anyone. But if we are looking for a manager to come in, be extremely short sighted, fall out with everyone and not blame himself then he's the man for the job. 

Goodwin I'd genuinely be fine with given his Alloa and St Mirren stints 

Edited by eliphas

I'm usually quite optimistic about Scottish football and will defend the diddy clubs at any opportunity. However, the standard of player has been in steady decline for years and I'm now utterly despondent about the whole situation, I don't see how it changes. 

15 years ago, off the back of the Malpas season we were still managing to sign players like Chris Porter from Oldham who had scored 22 goals in League One the season prior. Our very own Steven Hammell who had made 47 appearances for Championship Southend the season before. Plenty other examples.  

Now we're loaning out of favour players from bottom of League 2 Gillingham. We really are scraping the very bottom of the barrel. It's absolutely desperate stuff and we're still being skinned £25 for the privilege.

The worst part is, there's a couple of other teams that are just as bad as us, the right man would have a fighting chance of keeping this band of jobbers in the division which is a sorry reflection of the rest of the league. 

The gap between the two mediocre bigot brothers and the rest is wider than ever. Hearts look the best of the rest by a fair distance but are still as close to 12th place as they are to The Rangers* in 2nd and a country mile behind Celtic.

Scottish football is paying the price for pandering to TV companies and doctoring it's whole structure to allow for six bigot derby games a year, now seen by outsiders as nothing more than a freakshow curiosity. It's such a frequent fixture and there's so much football on TV that it's lost any relevancy outside of their own support.

I know it's hard to be optimistic, or muster much enthusiasm after last night but I'm past giving a f**k if we get relegated. We've played the same teams four times a season since what feels like the beginning of time. Goss, Slattery, Van Veen and any of the other pea hearted big time c***s can f**k off and find their level in the middle of the Conference North. 

Lennon would not be my choice but we are now at desperation stakes. 

We need to go to an Experienced Manager and offer them a gig till the end of the season. 3.5 months. Give him £100k plus a bonus if he keeps us up. £100k may not seem like much but annualised would be akin to circa £400k. 

But jeezy peeps we need to do something or championship here we come. 

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Jake Devenport fits the bill for me. Similar level, won't break the bank, free, can play DM and CB. Only know of him as I am currently playing as Lincoln in a FM network game and hes been decent for me. Not a lot of info to go on I grant you but seems like more than what our current scouts are doing. 

The most annoying thing with this is that we're clearly just going to be screaming into the void. Hammell isn't walking or else he would have gone last night or this morning, like Robbo did, like Alexander did after the result when they realised the game was up and they couldn't do it anymore or didn't want to do it. 

We have a CEO who, for all the good he has done, is now essentially at the wheel but very much not driving as he is on the way out, would the club board even allow him to make the call in firing / hiring a new manager and, given his reluctance to do it in the past, would he even do the firing?

We're reliant on a guy who just over a week ago assured us he was experienced enough, had the tools and the skills for the job, to walk away from it - I just don't see it happening. 

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

The most annoying thing with this is that we're clearly just going to be screaming into the void. Hammell isn't walking or else he would have gone last night or this morning, like Robbo did, like Alexander did after the result when they realised the game was up and they couldn't do it anymore or didn't want to do it. 

We have a CEO who, for all the good he has done, is now essentially at the wheel but very much not driving as he is on the way out, would the club board even allow him to make the call in firing / hiring a new manager and, given his reluctance to do it in the past, would he even do the firing?

We're reliant on a guy who just over a week ago assured us he was experienced enough, had the tools and the skills for the job, to walk away from it - I just don't see it happening. 

That thought has crossed my mind. Flow is leaving, is it a case of he just canny be arsed going through the hassle of looking for a new manager when he is leaving anyway?

18 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

That thought has crossed my mind. Flow is leaving, is it a case of he just canny be arsed going through the hassle of looking for a new manager when he is leaving anyway?

He's leaving because of a health scare and other personal reasons. Supporting Motherwell is a hazard to health for most of us. Don't blame him for wanting to move on.

I realise that doesn't actually answer the question, but I'd hope he'd like to leave us in a more secure position. Doubt that will happen without a new manager in charge. My preference would be Goodwin, hopefully before Saturday!

Edited by SIWY86

Have we ever been good at firing a manager?

Alexander - Walked/mutual consent but should have been gone a lot sooner.

Robinson - Walked when he ran out of steam, board seemed happy to keep him, in-fact did we not encourage him to stay at one point a few weeks earlier?

McGhee - Fan protest and 5-1 at home to Dundee gave the board no choice? (Won 2 of last 13 games btw Hammell currently has won 2 in his last 16)

I feel that 'our wee nice' club is too nice. Since we became fan owned I can't see any of the managers who have been sacked when they potentially should have. Too harsh? I don't think so, and I expect the routine to continue under Hammell. Won't be a fan protest due to apathy now, but I don't think the board have it in them to sack him.