Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

32 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Have we ever been good at firing a manager?

Alexander - Walked/mutual consent but should have been gone a lot sooner.

Robinson - Walked when he ran out of steam, board seemed happy to keep him, in-fact did we not encourage him to stay at one point a few weeks earlier?

McGhee - Fan protest and 5-1 at home to Dundee gave the board no choice? (Won 2 of last 13 games btw Hammell currently has won 2 in his last 16)

I feel that 'our wee nice' club is too nice. Since we became fan owned I can't see any of the managers who have been sacked when they potentially should have. Too harsh? I don't think so, and I expect the routine to continue under Hammell. Won't be a fan protest due to apathy now, but I don't think the board have it in them to sack him. 

I get the general point but slightly disagree in so much as I'd say we've always given managers enough rope but historically pulled the trigger at a point that's still given us a chance. Although McGhee was still saying he'd have turned it around when he pitched up with Dundee last season.

The McGhee one came off the back of the 7-2 at Pittodrie as well as the 5-1 we'd an aggregate of 17-3 over 4 games in that run in February 17.

I don't think we've emptied a manager at a point that's felt like it's been unfair and we've the whole 38 consecutive seasons as a top flight side thing so it suggests that we've generally handled this stuff pretty well.

Edited by capt_oats

More I think about it some of the team choices are mental. The balance is way way off. 

Last night we had two left footed centre halves and no left footed players on the left hand side of the pitch. 

Playing Goss and Slattery alone against the workhorses of St Johnstone. KVV up against three centre half’s with Crankshaw sand dancing around on the side lines before going backwards. Poor Riku looking dumbfounded and Aitchison clearly not having a clue who anyone is or where they play… 

Whilst Max, Stuart and Dean all Motherwell boys with some heart in their game sit on the sidelines…. 

The club won’t sack him straight after allowing him to bring in lots of new players.
Remember how they backed Alexander last season? I still can’t believe he survived that defeat to St Johnstone. 

An out of form Aberdeen giving us a hiding on Saturday will be covered by Dundee United losing to Hearts. 

Our next 5 games: 
St Mirren (H) 
Hearts (H) 
Kilmarnock (A)   
Ross County (A) 
Rangers (H)

Dundee United’s next 5 games: 
St Johnstone (H) 
Ross County (A) 
Aberdeen (H) 
Livingston (A) 
St Mirren (H)

I don’t see us being cut adrift at the bottom just yet but I also don’t see us winning any of those games. 

2 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Whilst Max, Stuart and Dean all Motherwell boys with some heart in their game sit on the sidelines…. 

Only one of 3 of them done something when they came on in Max beat his man constantly putting balls into good areas but even he couldn’t be arsed getting back into position at times and shat out the tackle for the 2nd.

Dean time and time again he works hard but he’s always a yard off anyone else, panicked on the ball last night and went out of play with nobody on him, never effects a game.

Mckinstry got some talent on the ball but loses it more often than not and his attitude stinks, walking about throwing his hands in the air and giving up isn’t someone that bleeds Motherwell to me. 

4 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

The club won’t sack him straight after allowing him to bring in lots of new players.
Remember how they backed Alexander last season? I still can’t believe he survived that defeat to St Johnstone. 

An out of form Aberdeen giving us a hiding on Saturday will be covered by Dundee United losing to Hearts. 

Our next 5 games: 
St Mirren (H) 
Hearts (H) 
Kilmarnock (A)   
Ross County (A) 

Rangers (H)

Our season absolutely hinges on those games and given they are both away we maybe have a chance? Anything less than 6/6 and we're away IMO as it will just further turn it into a race between us and united to see who gets a crack at the playoff. 

If we lose on Saturday and then go out the cup, it should not be Hammell taking those two games (and yes, he shouldn't even be getting saturday or raith)

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Given Goodwin was emptied just last weekend and was probably on a very healthy wage I'd imagine he'll be quite happy sat counting his money.

Equally, it wouldn't be a surprise if part of his severance meant he couldn't take another job any time soon.

You cant imagine he'd want to follow up the Aberdeen disaster with a relegation either. His next job is potentially vital to decided what way the rest of his career goes so id guess he'll take his time and try and pick the right one.

6 minutes ago, Al B said:

Im sure even Blaney said words to the effect of "that's a bit weird" when talking about playing with two left-footed centre-backs in his presser.

Thought last night it was weird to see two left footed CBs and two right footed full backs. Theres a big thing about "passing angles" at the moment, yours were all weird where the CBs all want to go left and the LB wants to go right.

15 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Our next 5 games: 
St Mirren (H) 
Hearts (H) 
Kilmarnock (A)   
Ross County (A) 
Rangers (H)

Dundee United’s next 5 games: 
St Johnstone (H) 
Ross County (A) 
Aberdeen (H) 
Livingston (A) 
St Mirren (H)

I don’t see us being cut adrift at the bottom just yet but I also don’t see us winning any of those games. 

I don't disagree but I suppose the difference between Hammell and Alexander at this point is that Grezza at least had the 2021 calendar year to point to in terms of results.

So far the only credit Hammell is trading on is the fact he's our record post-war appearance holder and he's not Graham Alexander.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Yoshi-91 said:

Jake Devenport fits the bill for me. Similar level, won't break the bank, free, can play DM and CB. Only know of him as I am currently playing as Lincoln in a FM network game and hes been decent for me. Not a lot of info to go on I grant you but seems like more than what our current scouts are doing. 

Decent pedigree and by all accounts a decent player, had a move in the summer to hearts lined up but fell through im sure. Get him on a deal until the end of the season can’t be worse than Goss.

2 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Our season absolutely hinges on those games and given they are both away we maybe have a chance? Anything less than 6/6 and we're away IMO as it will just further turn it into a race between us and united to see who gets a crack at the playoff. 

If we lose on Saturday and then go out the cup, it should not be Hammell taking those two games (and yes, he shouldn't even be getting saturday or raith)

Tbf I don’t think he’d survive a defeat to Raith Rovers in the cup but I’m just assuming (based on nothing) we’re going to win. 
As long as we don’t get beat by Killie or County then I think we’ll still be fine points wise that (+ a cup win) will keep him his job. The board showed last year that they’re not willing to sack a manger unless it’s 100% necessary. There was no way back after Sligo for Alexander. Raith Rovers will be the same for Hammell. 

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I don't disagree but I suppose the difference between Hammell and Alexander at this point is that Grezza at least had the 2021 calendar year to point to in terms of results.

So the only credit Hammell is trading on is the fact he's our record post-war appearance holder and he's not Graham Alexander.

In many ways it’s the same, Alexander was given faith by the board, got another transfer window and then got shown the door when things clearly hadn’t improved. The toxicity from the support following Sligo definitely played it’s part too.

The board has given the same faith to Hammell, and last night is far too quick for them to say “well it isn’t working”. He’ll get the next 2 games at least but defeat in both and the board will have no choice imo.

Just now, ZX1886 said:

In many ways it’s the same, Alexander was given faith by the board, got another transfer window and then got shown the door when things clearly hadn’t improved. The toxicity from the support following Sligo definitely played it’s part too.

The board has given the same faith to Hammell, and last night is far too quick for them to say “well it isn’t working”. He’ll get the next 2 games at least but defeat in both and the board will have no choice imo.

Why is it too quick the writing has been on the wall since we came back from the World Cup break. Also in a much worse position than Alexander was in at least he had us at 3rd at his downfall stage. Alexander gets a lot of stick but his first year for us he was brilliant but since 2022 he killed us and hammell has worse records than the likes of even McGhee. Great guy club legend but it has to happen now.