Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's my thinking too but it is a bit odd when we have a million bodies in that area.

I'm not sure we do tbh.

For me Paton isn't really stepping on Spittal, Danzaki or Tierney's toes.

I know @RandomGuy. will have better things to do of a weekend but it'd be interesting to know how Paton compares with Slattery, Goss and Cornelius as IMO they're the ones playing in similar roles (and 2 are out of contract come summer).

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's my thinking too but it is a bit odd when we have a million bodies in that area.

If you look at the squad the players are very much skewed to forwards and defenders (certainly after the Jan window).

Word was McGinley was retained in the aftermath of covid because he was so cheap. We’ve found a few times that a suspension and an injury coming together means we can be in a bind (centre half and left back spring to mind of late) where guys like McGinn has been drafted into centre half (not as a back three) and SOD moved across from the right to left.

Considering we’ve got so many players playing for be part of Kettleball, not sure if 9 games is rough to give them all a shot …..

Is Danzaki injured? Not in the squad today.  

I’m not sure why and have nothing to base it on, but I’m quite keen to see him get a shot.  Not sure who he’d replace though.  I know he may well have been a Hammell signing but after giving him a 2-year deal you’d hope he has at least something to offer.

3 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Is Danzaki injured? Not in the squad today.  

I’m not sure why and have nothing to base it on, but I’m quite keen to see him get a shot.  Not sure who he’d replace though.  I know he may well have been a Hammell signing but after giving him a 2-year deal you’d hope he has at least something to offer.

He's been injured apparently. Ketts mentioned in his pre-match that he's started back in football sessions during the week there.

Edited by capt_oats

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm not sure we do tbh.

For me Paton isn't really stepping on Spittal, Danzaki or Tierney's toes.

I know @RandomGuy. will have better things to do of a weekend but it'd be interesting to know how Paton compares with Slattery, Goss and Cornelius as IMO they're the ones playing in similar roles (and 2 are out of contract come summer).

Aye, I know he's not identical but it just seemed an odd one for now when no matter the type you've only got X midfield spots in the XI. And if we somehow confirm safety early (ha!) I'd have liked to see SK figure out a way to get at least something out of our contracted guys for next season than play a trialist who we already know - in all probability - has a ceiling of squad player anyway.

Saw that wee Al had scored again.

Luton are nailed on for the play offs with an outside chance still of automatic promotion.

One wonders if we are due any extra money if Luton get promoted to the Premiership ??

That was brilliant today. Not a failure anywhere and multiple standouts. Special mention for Mr VV though for joining a very, very special group - hats off to him.

And I know that everyone has their own hierarchy of wins but going to Edinburgh and dishing out an absolute pumping is right up there with my favourites.

Just now, JamesP_81 said:

How did Paton do when he came on? Looking at updates on sky sports app have to say I was quite surprised when a guy who hasn't played all season and has just walked in the door gets subbed on fairly early doors. 

He looked a very positive addition (especially given my doubts about him!).

24 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

How did Paton do when he came on? Looking at updates on sky sports app have to say I was quite surprised when a guy who hasn't played all season and has just walked in the door gets subbed on fairly early doors. 

Won the free kick for the third goal, he’ll do.

15 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

That's KVV overtaken Moult's best return of 18 in his two full seasons and Faddy's 19 of 2002/03.

I make him only the third player in my lifetime to score 20 goals in a season. The other twice we finished second.

That makes for very good reading.

Aye, there are obviously reasons/excuses why others didn't make it (Coyne, without his injury, would obviously have shattered it in 94/95 etc) but these things are part of football and the fact remains 20 goals as a Motherwell top-flight striker makes you elite regardless of any subjective faults.

I'd need to double check the stats but I'm reasonably sure KVV is the fourth in that group during the 'modern era' of Scottish football which given that is damn near 50 years now says it all...and he's done it in a team which, compared to the other three guys, has been, eh, footballingly challenged at times, let's say...

So anyone enjoying a refreshment this evening should certainly be raising a glass to the Budget Bergkamp - a remarkable achievement.