Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

Aye, seems odd

A69319D0-B9AD-40ED-AFA2-D7BA8D576DB8.png

Just lazy journalism again. In the same article he talks about us getting a payday. Why if he is out of contract in the summer would anyone need to pay us anything. In fact he would already have signed a PCA with Hearts or Aberdeen most probably !!!

On 21/04/2023 at 22:43, Busta Nut said:

Now, I've issues here. 

Is Sean Goss a defensive mid? He hadn't made a tackle until about March. On the back of that, have they only did this on games since March?

This is essentially my doing, I think. Since March has been, by a distance, his best time with us, and I think he's been class. The first goal at Livi the perfect example of this, and while he doesn't make many blood and thunder tackles, the way he shifts around cutting out angles, then shifting it on, is very very good, IMO, and I made that argument that he should be treated as a #6.

On the point about Lamie at the top of the page, (mildly) interesting that Blaney got the nod on the left of the 3 to replace Casey on Saturday while the Bathgate Maldini was used off the bench to replace Butcher in the centre of the 3 against Livi.

Is that our order then? Bev backs up McGinn, Lamie backs up Butcher and Blaney is back up to Casey?

It's probably worth mentioning that we're often on here looking at other sides picking up points against Rangers and Celtic and talking about how they need to have an off day and we'd need everyone 100% at it - in terms of our defensive shape I thought we were pretty much spot on and for once there were few (if any?) self inflicted mistakes on our part.

We actually have a positive goal difference over the period Kettlewell's been in charge which is something that should probably be commented on given the months of Hammell having seemingly not knowing where to even start in terms of fixing our defence.

Here's the table since Ketts took charge - 3rd best GF and GA columns lads...

Screenshot2023-04-24at11_30_32.thumb.png.dc4c63ec221f1170af1afc88f07388d3.png

Anyway, vaguely related to the McMullan chat here's the semi-regular reminder of who's contracted next season (this time by position):

GK: Kelly, Oxborough
DF: Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley, Blaney, Butcher
MF: Spittal, Slattery, Maguire, Tierney, Miller
FW: Van Veen, Danzaki, Morris, Shields

and OOC:

GK: N/A
DF: O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Furlong (loan expiring), Casey
MF: Cornelius, Goss, Paton
FW: Efford, Aitchison, McKinstry (loan expiring), Mandron, Obika (loan expiring)

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On the point about Lamie at the top of the page, (mildly) interesting that Blaney got the nod on the left of the 3 to replace Casey on Saturday while the Bathgate Maldini was used off the bench to replace Butcher in the centre of the 3 against Livi.

Is that our order then? Bev backs up McGinn, Lamie backs up Butcher and Blaney is back up to Casey?

It's probably worth mentioning that we're often on here looking at other sides picking up points against Rangers and Celtic and talking about how they need to have an off day and we'd need everyone 100% at it - in terms of our defensive shape I thought we were pretty much spot on and for once there were few (if any?) self inflicted mistakes on our part.

We actually have a positive goal difference over the period Kettlewell's been in charge which is something that should probably be commented on given the months of Hammell having seemingly not knowing where to even start in terms of fixing our defence.

Here's the table since Ketts took charge - 3rd best GF and GA columns lads...

Screenshot2023-04-24at11_30_32.thumb.png.dc4c63ec221f1170af1afc88f07388d3.png

Anyway, vaguely related to the McMullan chat here's the semi-regular reminder of who's contracted next season (this time by position):

GK: Kelly, Oxborough
DF: Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley, Blaney, Butcher
MF: Spittal, Slattery, Maguire, Tierney, Miller
FW: Van Veen, Danzaki, Morris, Shields

and OOC:

GK: N/A
DF: O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Furlong (loan expiring), Casey
MF: Cornelius, Goss, Paton
FW: Efford, Aitchison, McKinstry (loan expiring), Mandron, Obika (loan expiring)

My own view is we try to move on McGinley, Morris, Shields, Maguire.

We offer contracts to Johnston, Casey, Goss and Efford. On the fence for Dean and McGinn. Suspect we will have offered contracts to all the aforementioned. Ketts has confirmed Cornelius, Johnston and Casey iirc. 

Edited by welldaft

Are we not obliged to offer DC something so we get compo if he goes?

I'd definitely keep McGinn, he's the definition of "he'll do" for me.

Goss...not convinced, despite his improvement. I'm not dead against mind but it all depends on what we're paying him, what the alternatives are, what system we'll use next season. 

We should definitely be freeing Efford and edit to add Casey is a no-brainer want to keep. I'd be offering KVV an extension too but only if we're definitely going 3-5-2 next season.

As for those under contract we're looking to move on, it's clearly possible but from the outside we've no idea of circumstances, personalities, interest etc. I trust the club will put the feelers out and we'll see what happens.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I get that he sits deep, I can pass on that probably.

@crazylegsjoe_mfc :D

There are probably folk that are smarter than me that can argue it one way or another, but I also think it's quite telling that he's been the deepest, while it's Slattery that's been the one that's dropped out of the three, if that makes sense. Slattery tackles, sure, but he also isn't as good in that role as Goss.

I'd also highlight that of all players in the league, he's made the highest number of interceptions as a midfielder (The 7 players ahead of him who have made more are all centre-halfs). 

I guess it depends how you want to define the role; if it's a snarling tough tackling midfielder; it isn't him, probably, but on the same principle as a good centre-half shouldn't have to make slide tackles, I think Goss is great in that role.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Well...

I've seen some eye-bleeding shite in Blackpool in my time, Alexanderball is next level though. They might be best installing some extra fencing around the top of the tower before they inflict it on the locals.

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

Did he walk away or did we pay him off or did we just keep paying him in which case this would get him off the payroll.

The official line was "mutual consent". What that actually looked like though IDK.

"We have today parted company with manager Graham Alexander by mutual consent.

Graham will leave the club along with his assistant Chris Lucketti."

Link

17 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I've seen some eye-bleeding shite in Blackpool in my time, Alexanderball is next level though. They might be best installing some extra fencing around the top of the tower before they inflict it on the locals.

Tbf, seeing as it looks like they're heading for relegation from the Championship I'd say that he'd be fine in League 1 it's not exactly a sophisticated league in terms of the fitba' and it's absolutely his wheelhouse.

He's managed 150 games at that level and finished 10th with Fleetwood. 3rd with Scunthorpe and they were 5th when he left.

Edited by capt_oats