Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Thoroughly dull post so apologies in advance but with the chat about replacing KVV I took a look at SK's transfer business at County.

Obvious caveats are that his first season he was recruiting for the Championship,  the latter part was the behind closed doors Pandemic season and that there are clear geographic differences between Dingwall and ML1 which will limit the market. Ketts has also spoken about how he didn't have the same sort of support and infrastructure at County as he does at Fir Park.

Anyway, deep breath (I've spoilered it because it's a long list):

Hide contents

18/19

• Iain Vigurs (ICT)
  • Josh Mullin (Livingston)
  • Jamie Lindsay (Celtic) - undisclosed
  • Declan McManus (Dunfermline)
  • Harry Paton (Hearts)
  • Callum Morris (Dunfermline)
  • Keith Watson (St Johnstone)
  • Stelios Demitriou (St Mirren)
  • Brian Graham (Cheltenham Town)
  • Ross Stewart (St Mirren) - undisclosed
  • Don Cowie (Hearts)
  • Lewis Spence (Dundee)
  • Kenny van der Weg (Roeselane)
  • Callum Semple (Sheffield United)
  • Daniel Armstron (Raith Rovers)

Total = 15

19/20

• Joe Chalmers (ICT)
  • Ross Laidlaw (Hibs)
  • Blair Spittal (Partick Thistle)
  • Nathan Baxter (Chelsea) - loan
  • Simon Power (Norwich) - loan
  • Jack Ruddy (Wolves)
  • Lee Erwin (Tractor)
  • Ewan Henderson (Celtic) - loan
  • Richard Foster (St Johnstone)
  • Jordan Tillson (Exeter City)
  • Coll Donaldson (ICT) - undisclosed
  • Oli Shaw (Hibs) - undisclosed

Total = 12

20/21

• Stephen Kelly (Rangers) - loan
  • Connor Randall (Arda Kardzhali)
  • Alex Iacovitti (Oldham)
  • Regan Charles-Cook (Gillingham)
  • Carl Tremarco (ICT)
  • Ross Doohan (Celtic) - loan
  • Michael O'Connor (Waterford) - undisclosed
  • Jermaine Hylton (Motherwell)
  • Charlie Lakin (Birmingham City) - loan
  • Jason Naismith (Peterborough United)

Total = 10

37 players in all across 2 1/2 seasons (3 summer windows).

I'm not suggesting that he'll revisit any of these (although Harry Paton seems a given) but the main takeaways are that the majority seem to have come from other Scottish teams although there are the occasional dips into the English market.

For comparison here are Robinson's signings around the same period:

Hide contents

17/18
Alex Fisher, Gael Bigirimana, Craig Tanner, Trevor Carson, Andy Rose, Russell Griffiths, Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, George Newell, Ellis Plummer, Rohan Ferguson, Deimantas Petravičius, Liam Grimshaw, Gennadios Xenodochof, Curtis Main, Peter Hartley (loan)/(permanent), Nadir Ciftci (loan), Tom Aldred (loan) x 2, Stephen Hendrie (loan)

Total = 19

18/19
Mark Gillespie, Liam Donnelly, Danny Johnson, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin, Christian Mbulu, Conor Sammon (loan), Ross McCormack (loan), Gboly Ariyibi (loan)

Total = 9

19/20
Declan Gallagher, Liam Polworth, Jake Carroll, Casper Sloth, Jermaine Hylton, Christopher Long, Sherwin Seedorf, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, Ross MacIver, Bevis Mugabi, Tony Watt, Harry Robinson, Devante Cole (loan)/permanent, Mark O'Hara (loan/permanent), Mikael Ndjoli (loan), Rolando Aarons (loan)

Total = 17

20/21
Ricki Lamie, Jordan White, Nathan McGinley, Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Aaron Chapman, Jordan Archer, Jake Hastie (loan), Callum Lang (loan), Robbie Crawford (loan)

Total = 10

I suppose one big difference ( that Kettlewell himself mentioned) is that he has a head of recruitment here, where at County there was none of that structure in place - so I would guess that he is operating in a slightly different market now (even if the budget won't be much different).

40 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Both those lists give me the fear at points.

See to be fair right, there's quite a few players on the Ketts lists that I'd have taken then, and I'd still take now. Guys like Jamie Lindsay were class. He's exactly the type of player I'd expect us to be going after.

27 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

See to be fair right, there's quite a few players on the Ketts lists that I'd have taken then, and I'd still take now. Guys like Jamie Lindsay were class. He's exactly the type of player I'd expect us to be going after.

The thing that stood out for me comparing the two lists is that as far as Ketts' list goes there seem to be far fewer signings that fall into the 'we'll coach you into being a better player' bracket that Robinson was very fond of and I've a feeling you may have spoken about on one of the Monday pods recently (an absolute treat to have you back on them btw).

Edited by capt_oats

59 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Armstrong at Killie could be an interesting one if they go down. Played 6 times for Kettlewell at County then got released so they're probably not best pals or anything but reckon they know each others' names.

Exactly what I took from that list as well, reckon if he was available he will pop up at Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs though. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Armstrong at Killie could be an interesting one if they go down. Played 6 times for Kettlewell at County then got released so they're probably not best pals or anything but reckon they know each others' names.

He's well liked by the East Staun already - so that's a positive.

image.jpeg.9940548bc20a929ec8e38d8115c7757e.jpeg

Yeah, we have certainly exhausted the use of the 91 Cup winners. So 32 years have passed since, and the gap between the 1952 Scottish Cup win and 1991 was 39 years, I wonder if we will go beyond that, we have managed the 2 League Cup Finals and 2 Scottish Cup Finals since then, just a shame it was against the arse cheeks, I know it wouldn't guarantee a victory but it would be nice to get a crack at a final against one of the other clubs.

This was my first season attending games, cup glory, pumping both Rangers and Celtic followed by some European footie the next campaign then the false expectations that we would do this all the time. 

42 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

image.jpeg.9940548bc20a929ec8e38d8115c7757e.jpeg

Yeah, we have certainly exhausted the use of the 91 Cup winners. So 32 years have passed since, and the gap between the 1952 Scottish Cup win and 1991 was 39 years, I wonder if we will go beyond that, we have managed the 2 League Cup Finals and 2 Scottish Cup Finals since then, just a shame it was against the arse cheeks, I know it wouldn't guarantee a victory but it would be nice to get a crack at a final against one of the other clubs.

This was my first season attending games, cup glory, pumping both Rangers and Celtic followed by some European footie the next campaign then the false expectations that we would do this all the time. 

Given the nerves I had before finals we would 99% lose, I dunno how i'd cope with one against a peer.

And the thought of the absolute terror I'd have if we were somehow favourites almost makes me prefer yet another pumping off Celtic!

Interesting comments from Ketts on the Max Johnston situation in his pre match interview. The rumours of Max visiting the Norwich Training centre came up. He said he is not aware that such a visit happened and if it did he would have expected a heads up from the player / agent etc. 

Lets face it the 1% chance of him being here next season just became 0%…

Edit to add that I still hope he gets a move to a top league side so we get maximum compensation. The flip side is that he is likely to choose a combination of best wage package and potential to play 1st team football at earliest opportunity. 

Edited by welldaft

4 hours ago, Swello said:

I suppose one big difference ( that Kettlewell himself mentioned) is that he has a head of recruitment here, where at County there was none of that structure in place - so I would guess that he is operating in a slightly different market now (even if the budget won't be much different).

Don’t know about that, the 20% premium attached to attracting players to the highlands means he has that in theory to play with us. But yeah it seems he’ll be fishing in the same pond.

Given he had to source a number of those players with only his co-manager I’m encouraged what he can manage with Forster, Clarky, Frail and our Alexander appointed recruitment honcho all contributing and him having the final say.

I wonder if our form since he took over has made us more attractive to any Scottish based players who will be aware of the momentum and want to get on board?

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The thing that stood out for me comparing the two lists is that as far as Ketts' list goes there seem to be far fewer signings that fall into the 'we'll coach you into being a better player' bracket that Robinson was very fond of and I've a feeling you may have spoken about on one of the Monday pods recently (an absolute treat to have you back on them btw).

Yeah, definitely. I'd say there's a bunch in there that improved under him, but that's different, really.

Appreciate that man, thank you. The last few years have ultimately been some real fuckin hard yards, between having a wean, lockdown, and what became a real toil at work which I hadn't really appreciated until I left, so podcasting fell miles down the priority list. Fuckin buzzing at being back at it but so glad that comes across.

34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yeah, definitely. I'd say there's a bunch in there that improved under him, but that's different, really.

Appreciate that man, thank you. The last few years have ultimately been some real fuckin hard yards, between having a wean, lockdown, and what became a real toil at work which I hadn't really appreciated until I left, so podcasting fell miles down the priority list. Fuckin buzzing at being back at it but so glad that comes across.

Not sure how much input you have on this, but when the top 12 strikers list thing goes up on Twitter I'd really like Kevin Van Veen to be #1, and Curtis Main and Tony Watt nowhere near the top 12.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

The fact we have went to 4 finals since the 91 up win and they have all been against Rangers or Celtic Is the really annoying part.

Our good runs conside with one of the ugly twins being a few gears above the rest of the league. Even when we beat one of them, we just end up with the other in the final. Ah well, maybe next season will be our chance.

Aye. It's shit. 

I posted on this last year - 

Of the 46 finals since 2000, 12 have involved neither Rangers or Celtic and on 6 of those occasions the winner didn't face Rangers or Celtic at any stage. In the 29 cup finals since 2000 with Rangers or Celtic not playing each other, they've been beaten twice (Hibs and Kilmarnock). So they get beaten about 7% of the time in cup finals. A shit stat if you meet them in a final and we've met them in all 4 of ours. We'd need to play them another 10 times in a final to beat them once....

We've been unlucky with the draw. 

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If that's the case his little hamstring issue might extend for the next three games...

I think that's a given. 

Fair play to the boy. He's got the attributes and potential to do really well in the game and will have a multitude of suitors. Risking injury in a few end of season dead rubbers does nothing for him, or the club for that matter if we want the biggest sides bidding for maximum compo. Also gives Kettlewell a few games to give SOD a run and decide if he fits into his plans for next season, or if his time to move on has come too.

Aye, and the Hibs one was when Rangers were a championship side iirc.

We've been unlucky at times. McCall's sides lost to Hibs on penalties after McHugh's winner was wrongly chalked off, the usually reliable higdon missed a pen v Aberdeen.

But we also lost twice to third division sides and 10 man Aberdeen...you fair cut your chances of getting lucky if you do things like that...

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not sure how much input you have on this, but when the top 12 strikers list thing goes up on Twitter I'd really like Kevin Van Veen to be #1, and Curtis Main and Tony Watt nowhere near the top 12.

Thank you.

I'm putting Watt #1. His contribution to relegating United has been absolutely unparalleled. Took all their money so they couldn't sign anyone else, got their manager sacked, left and lost 2-0 to Killie giving them momentum to survive.

Top man.