Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm even more annoyed now that I've read the job posting. That's at the very least a part time paid position. Really shifty that we can take in hundreds of thousands for players, pay guys thousands to sit on our bench, but refuse to pay someone the going rate to take shit from the fans on a daily basis.

Also shitty that we don't pay the mascot, tinpot.

Edited by rowsdower

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

We absolutely shouldn’t be hanging about waiting for either of them. 

It was bad enough when we use to do it for Scott McDonald back in the day. However at least then you knew you were getting someone of genuine quality with a proven track record. Not some boy in his mid 20’s who’s had a dozen or so good games at this level. 

Casey will be 26 shortly and before last season the highest level he’d ever played at was LOI or the 2nd tier in America- whichever one of those is considered ‘better’. I mean I liked him but letting him dictate terms and deciding when he wants to come back for pre-season? Absolutely f**k that. 

Both he and Goss were excellent under Kettlewell and they played a big part in our revival but it’s time to shake hands and move on. 

And that goes with my view that maybe Casey looked better than his previous playing history would suggest because he had Callum Butcher beside him.

Wouldn't mind seeing the same partnership again next season but if Casey is off then maybe Blaney might turn out to be just as good given time. 

1 hour ago, santheman said:

And that goes with my view that maybe Casey looked better than his previous playing history would suggest because he had Callum Butcher beside him.

Wouldn't mind seeing the same partnership again next season but if Casey is off then maybe Blaney might turn out to be just as good given time. 

Blaney looks imo a more than capable replacement for Casey. I think from what we saw last year he is a very good player. 

However I personally would love to see a back three of Casey - Butcher - Blaney.

I think that would be solid and provide a right good foundation of a side. 

Shame if he is going elsewhere but agree also we shouldn’t be held to ransom or hold off indefinitely for waiting. 

I do know however there was interest from our Northern sheepie pals but unsure if that has cooled following the signing of Williams from Liverpool.

I’d hope with Goss and Casey it’s much more of a “if we’re both still single when we’re 40” type situation rather than I’d just hanging off targeting other players while they make their minds up. While they’re good players, especially Casey, in my opinion once pre-season starts you owe them nothing if they’ve not made their mind up, and need to focus on bringing the squad together for the league cup. 

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

I'm even more annoyed now that I've read the job posting. That's at the very least a part time paid position. Really shifty that we can take in hundreds of thousands for players, pay guys thousands to sit on our bench, but refuse to pay someone the going rate to take shit from the fans on a daily basis.

Also shitty that we don't pay the mascot, tinpot.

Agree 100%.  This is typical sadly of short term thinking and the fact that others in the Well Society volunteer so believe others should !

To ask for it to be done free is bordering on the ridiculous.  I have said it before and will again I know of too many people (who over the years) that have given up season tickets, downgraded hospitality and stopped paying into the Well Society all because the club has somehow managed to piss them off once or on more than one occasion due to no or poor or often miscommunication. This has been a role that if done properly could probably save the club a lot of money !  All it takes is a basic customer / supporter charter where every fan enquiry is dealt with promptly and professionally, with a little empathy thrown in.   

If I lived locally I would consider doing it for free. But ONLY if I felt the rest of the club would back up and support fully. Unfortunately you would likely run into internal strife and disputes from paid employees at the club who know doubt would disagree on how to resolve certain situations. It would not take long for someone to say.  F**k this taking all sorts of grief for nada.

Edited by welldaft

4 hours ago, CoF said:

Seems to be a few assumptions that we aren't actively looking for Casey and Goss replacements while their contract offers are on the table. Can't say I'm in the know on how these things but that would be surprising if so. 

Exactly this, we'll have our feelers out and if Ketts secures a player he feels offers more then, as much as they can tell us to do one, we can rescind any offers made.

It's called the Richard Tait paradox.

Remind me of the timing of Casey’s arrival.  Blaney and Lamie got injured near the end of the window (or was Blaney earlier?) Was Casey brought in to cover that situation?  He obviously excelled but the intention was to go with Blaney.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

Remind me of the timing of Casey’s arrival.  Blaney and Lamie got injured near the end of the window (or was Blaney earlier?) Was Casey brought in to cover that situation?  He obviously excelled but the intention was to go with Blaney.

If we're having a conversation around this timeline and who was brought in to do what then it's probably worth mentioning that Butcher was supposed to be playing in midfield and Hammell was pretty fixed on playing with a back 4.

Given Casey is right footed while Blaney's left footed I'd have thought if he was brought in to cover any situation it'd have been to cover Sol having left just as the window *slammed* shut.

I wouldn't like to presume but I'd have thought (Hammell's Version) would have been:

RB: SOD/Johnston
RCB: Mugabi/Casey
LCB: Lamie/Blaney
LB: McGinn/Furlong

33 minutes ago, stu92 said:

Nothing to do with the football, but rips my knitting when people say Holland. Comparable to people interchanging England and Britain. 

See, that's what I'd assumed, but heard Max Verstappen referring to it as Holland and was then very confused. Who to believe?

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

See, that's what I'd assumed, but heard Max Verstappen referring to it as Holland and was then very confused. Who to believe?

Because Amsterdam and Den Haag are in Holland, it tends to be the place that's referred to a lot. When I was working over there, I made the terrible mistake of thinking Utrecht was in Holland and was put straight in a grumpy Dutch way. Where we are playing now (3-0 up apparently) is as far from Holland as it gets.

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

Because Amsterdam and Den Haag are in Holland, it tends to be the place that's referred to a lot. When I was working over there, I made the terrible mistake of thinking Utrecht was in Holland and was put straight in a grumpy Dutch way. Where we are playing now (3-0 up apparently) is as far from Holland as it gets.

Gotcha. Keep calling them cloggies, sound.