Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Ach, overall I think we are 'ok' thus far. But no better and nothing reaching special 

Defence: We are missing Johnstone and Furlong as full backs. SOD and Souare are a solid 6/10 but lacking compared to the two youngsters. But, the central 3 are solid enough. Casey even though he took a wee while to get going is so much more solid than Mugabi or Lamie.

Midfield is fine but not got a relationship yet really with the strikers so not really that productive.

Forward line. We are missing KVV, obviously. Again the strikers are doing...fine....but lacking compared to KVV. Need more from them overall really. Hopefully that will come with some more games.

All just ...very pre season. But it's not pre season obviously according to the manager (apart from playing different teams each game Stuart...we noticed that).

Game is choking for a Danzaki tbqh.

Edited by eliphas

That was a hard watch.

Wilkinson looked awful. Wasn't linking up the play, looked slow, and not really got the instincts to get chances either.  Obika missed some chances but at least he was in position. Severe lack of optiions up front.

Back 3 was a bit shaky. Casey looks like he preferred pints over pre-season. And O'Donnell and Souare aren't it. O'Donnell has the willingness to go up and down but lacks the quality needed. Souare was very disappointing. He was sitting too far back and not offering an option on the left and he wasn't exactly a rock at the back either. He got into the box once and got a header but it is is a clear downgrade from last season. I would prefer to see the boy Wilson get a sshot over Souare/McGinley duo.

Somehow Liam Kelly has found an even slower gear.

Slattery and Spittal were decent with what they had to work with and Miller had a good first half. Dropped out of it a bit before he got subbed. I didn't rate what Paton was doing in the middle. hopefully the new guy has a bit about him.

The best thing you can say about the game is that we got the win.

I thought we started really slowly and then came onto a game a bit towards the end of the first half. The second half was worse than a preseason friendly after Obika went off.

QP were better on the ball than us and seemed a bit sharper to win the ball but ultimately they didn’t create very much. 

I'm at the point where I don't even try and read anything into performances in these group stages anymore. In the same way as I've seen shite Motherwell teams give the Old Firm a decent game, and good Motherwell sides get pasted by them, I just don't think you can really get a feel for either team when there's a gap in quality like that.

I’m trying not to panic too much as I do feel this still isn’t the finished article but even by my standards of low expectations/fearing the worst I’m not expecting much this season.

A decent striker and a right back are a bare minimum. We’re going to miss Van Veen and Johnston so much and even more so if we’re going to have to go with what we have in those positions. 

We did win. Unlike Dundee and St Mirren and St Johnstone and Livingston so far this league cup season. Even Ross County got out of jail today as they were comfortably poorer than Morton going by the stats.

On the new boys. I thought Souare was actually quite decent. It is early days and I recall watching Furlong in his 1st league game thinking he was out of his depth. Not convinced by Wilkinson. A heck of a climb down from KVV. That said I still get the impression we are looking for a No1 striker so either Wilkinson or Obika would be back up. Again too early to judge. I think all new players need a Good month and then some to gel and fit in. 

We are in pole position to top the group and with a bit of luck may still end up being seeded. 

Well that was, something. Think we need at least one or more likely two strikers, maybe a right back too. Not impressed with Wilkinson at all, Obika at least got into good positions and got the goal, but wouldn’t want to rely on him for a whole season, he does have a great song though.
Had a great view from my seat in the East stand, not a safety barrier to block my view 😂

Do we know what was wrong with mcginley? The interview today was weird in singling him out, and it was mentioned the players rallied around him when he came back. Sounds like it was a pretty serious injury.

The way it's been mentioned without actually mentioning it makes it seem like a personal/private issue. Based on absolutely nothing factual I've always felt it was more "serious illness" rather than an injury.

As far as I can tell, only Cove, Ross County, Airdrie, Killie, and Forfar can still reach 12 points. 

You'd probably hope the lower league three will drop points somewhere then it's just a case of beating East Fife and hoping the goal difference works out in our favour. 

2 hours ago, Al B said:

The way it's been mentioned without actually mentioning it makes it seem like a personal/private issue. Based on absolutely nothing factual I've always felt it was more "serious illness" rather than an injury.

Yes, that's the impression I had. More medical issue than injury. Good luck to him but I've got the feeling he's already the boo boys favourite. 

10 hours ago, eliphas said:

Ach, overall I think we are 'ok' thus far. But no better and nothing reaching special 

Defence: We are missing Johnstone and Furlong as full backs. SOD and Souare are a solid 6/10 but lacking compared to the two youngsters. But, the central 3 are solid enough. Casey even though he took a wee while to get going is so much more solid than Mugabi or Lamie.

Casey was the main reason QP had any threat at all.  Thank god for McGinn at the back.  Also not sure what you want from SOD as if our strikers and midfielders could do their job he's have had a hatrick of assists... and probably a goal himself not to mention one of the most important challenges in the game.  

Edited by Antiochas III

Casey - that may be true but he was still an upgrade on Mugabi or Lamie and that's without any more season or game time.

SOD - He was a touch more than fine aye in my opinion. Got up and down and a few crosses in. My main point being him vs Johnstone and the way we need the fullbacks to operate. Johnstone and Furlong were so key to the Kettlewell system when it worked really well and we miss their pace more than anything to stretch the game.  I'm not a SOD hater by any stretch but it's a different game with SOD and Souare vs Furlong and Johnstone. Unfortunately it looks like Kettlewell is still trying to play the same game without some key attributes in the team - pace on the wings to beat a man, quality in the middle to finish for goals.

Edited by eliphas

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Casey was the main reason QP had any threat at all.  Thank god for McGinn at the back.  Also not sure what you want from SOD as if our strikers and midfielders could do their job he's have had a hatrick of assists... and probably a goal himself not to mention one of the most important challenges in the game.  

If Mugabi or Lamie played like Casey yesterday they'd have been absolutely slaughtered.

SOD is a strange one - he certainly has some nice moments but there are equally as many wtf incidents as well.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If Mugabi or Lamie played like Casey yesterday they'd have been absolutely slaughtered.

SOD is a strange one - he certainly has some nice moments but there are equally as many wtf incidents as well.

I would suggest it’s because Lamie & Mugabi do it all the time, Casey hasn’t in his time and it’s his first game back since an injury and after a limited pre season… so aye he gets more leeway…