Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Thought we looked decent enough. Spittal & Slattery will be huge players for us this season. 

Mugabi is just utterly bollocks. We'll obviously soldier through until Butcher is fit again but if Kettlewell is going with him over Blaney, Blaney's tea must be oot. Bevis will cost us a goal a game.

Think Wilkinson will come good. He needs to realise the game is faster up here than the pish served up in L1/L2 down south, but once he gets that, think he'll do well for us. I can see being him +1 this season, so hopefully Mika, Bair, Efford & Obika can chip in with a few as well. 

Finally, Lennon Miller is a class act. For a 16 year old to step in and just belong at this level is different gravy. 

Thought Bair was really decent today, took his goal well and some of his flick ons and layoffs were terrific. Wilkinson's link up play was good too. 

Always a bit frustrating when a soft goal costs you points, but overall a draw was probably a fair result. Still think we'll see some transfer movement in and out before the window closes, as there are still areas where we're lacking.

Herecy I know but apart from scoring I did not think Bair performed that well. Was more impressed with Wilkinson who showed some nice touches and controlled the ball better in poor conditions.  I still expect our loan signing from Arsenal to start when he gets up to speed.

Take a draw as if anything we were lucky to get it. We had more possession but gave away too many clear chances. Another team would have most likely punished us. 

Couple of observations. We need a RB and quickly. SODs was imho poor. Poor in defence and in attack. A point in the 2nd half when we were on the attack a great move and the ball comes out to him not far from Dundee box and under no pressure. Result  - Row Z 😡.

Overall I like Kelly as a goalie. But by Christ is he weak when it comes to crosses into the box. He flapped at two in the 1st half that could have led to something. A deep cross in the 2nd half which he should have collected and did not that led to a scramble in our box. All the while the Dundee keeper plucks balls from crosses or punches it away for miles. I missed the goal so not sure if he could have done better but overall it was not an impressive performance from him. 

Still undefeated away under Ketts is a positive. Also we did not lose after they came back into it. So there are positives. Appreciate it is the 1st League game of the season, but so much room for improvement. So much….

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Mugabi (so far) has been excellent.  The defence needs more protection from the midfield though.  

Yes apologies to Bevis to a certain degree, who I thought was good, out with the goal. But that’s his issue isn’t it in a nutshell. Was hard to tell from the other end of the ground what went wrong but looked like he lost his man. Was either him or O’Donnell anyway. 

Edited by Londonwell

22 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Herecy I know but apart from scoring I did not think Bair performed that well. Was more impressed with Wilkinson who showed some nice touches and controlled the ball better in poor conditions.  I still expect our loan signing from Arsenal to start when he gets up to speed.

Take a draw as if anything we were lucky to get it. We had more possession but gave away too many clear chances. Another team would have most likely punished us. 

Couple of observations. We need a RB and quickly. SODs was imho poor. Poor in defence and in attack. A point in the 2nd half when we were on the attack a great move and the ball comes out to him not far from Dundee box and under no pressure. Result  - Row Z 😡.

Overall I like Kelly as a goalie. But by Christ is he weak when it comes to crosses into the box. He flapped at two in the 1st half that could have led to something. A deep cross in the 2nd half which he should have collected and did not that led to a scramble in our box. All the while the Dundee keeper plucks balls from crosses or punches it away for miles. I missed the goal so not sure if he could have done better but overall it was not an impressive performance from him. 

Sorry, can't say I agree with any of that assessment of today. 

Bair finished his goal brilliantly and linked the play really well, nice flicks and layoffs, and worked hard when out of possession. 

The conditions were ridiculous, and there was a spell where we fell away but we certainly weren't "lucky" to get a draw. 

Kelly dealt with every cross that came his way, both punching and catching, and he could have done nothing about the goal. Their goal aside, Dundee had one shot on target, which was dealt with. 

Ridiculously harsh assessment of SOD too imo, he was absolutely fine. The mis-hit cross I'll give you but once again our best attacking play came from him linking with Slattery, McGinn and Spittal down the right. Oh, and he got an assist. 

As I said above, I expect more movement and I'd also imagine Mika will be starting as soon as he can. 

Finally, Miller was great again.

Had Bair not scored his overall performance would be judged much more harshly. But he did, with a fine finish no less, so he can certainly feel he's taken a first step on his redemption arc season.

We certainly weren't brilliant but nor were we awful. That defence though, jeez...if you think our season will be defined by the 25 or so 'could go either way' games against peers, you certainly worry we'll throw in more goals than we're likely to be given.

Away draws are rarely to be sniffed at so I suspect SK will be publicly happy while very aware work needs done.

45 minutes ago, Desp said:

Thought we looked decent enough. Spittal & Slattery will be huge players for us this season. 

Mugabi is just utterly bollocks. We'll obviously soldier through until Butcher is fit again but if Kettlewell is going with him over Blaney, Blaney's tea must be oot. Bevis will cost us a goal a game.

Think Wilkinson will come good. He needs to realise the game is faster up here than the pish served up in L1/L2 down south, but once he gets that, think he'll do well for us. I can see being him +1 this season, so hopefully Mika, Bair, Efford & Obika can chip in with a few as well. 

Finally, Lennon Miller is a class act. For a 16 year old to step in and just belong at this level is different gravy. 

Agree with most of that. I think midfield is our strongest part of the team and hopefully we make use of that. Spittal and Slattery as you say are very good players for this level and with them in the last year of their deals, they’ll be looking to impress. Young Lennon looks smashing as well - best we’ve produced in some time. 

I thought Casey had a poor first half but improved. 2023 O’Donnell isn’t going to do as first team pick throughout the season. Bair showed enough, particularly 2nd half, to suggest he’ll be a serviceable option off the bench when we’re at full strength. Wilkinson was good 2nd half - liked what I saw. 

All in all, we don’t look overly fantastic (yet) but with the conditions taken into account there’s enough to be optimistic about for a half decent season imo. 

Edited by Londonwell

4 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Sorry, can't say I agree with any of that assessment of today. 

Bair finished his goal brilliantly and linked the play really well, nice flicks and layoffs, and worked hard when out of possession. 

The conditions were ridiculous, and there was a spell where we fell away but we certainly weren't "lucky" to get a draw. 

Kelly dealt with every cross that came his way, both punching and catching, and he could have done nothing about the goal. Their goal aside, Dundee had one shot on target, which was dealt with. 

Ridiculously harsh assessment of SOD too imo, he was absolutely fine. The mis-hit cross I'll give you but once again our best attacking play came from him linking with Slattery, McGinn and Spittal down the right. Oh, and he got an assist. 

As I said above, I expect more movement and I'd also imagine Mika will be starting as soon as he can. 

Finally, Miller was great again.

I know Dundee had one shot on target but they did hit the post twice, one of which looked a goal all day long. We were the better team 2nd half, while Dundee had the better chances. Draw fair result. 

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

Theo Bair has now scored in 45 minutes the same amount of goals for Motherwell what Mandron did in ALL of his appearances.  🤷‍♂️

Not to white knight Mandron or anything but he actually scored 3 for us.

He only scored 1 league goal but got a double against Arbroath in the Scottish Cup.

A draw a fair result, good goal scored, poor goal to concede, probably both against the run of play at the time.

Conditions were poor and any good play was a blessing.

Bair was fine, looked like a guy coming in to a team and feeling his way, nothing to suggest he will be a car crash.

Fine for the first game of the season, a incomplete squad and untried front line playing together. Take the draw and move on thanks.

Goalie and defence - Thought the goalie and back 3 were ok in the most part. Solved most issues in tricky conditions. Casey loves sliding aboot in the wet, I loved watching it 

Wing backs - SOD got up and down quite well i thought personally. Does lack pace though which exposes him a bit. Need a lot more from Souare moving forward in this system. Dare I say it but McGinley got in better positions.

Midfield - Spittal and Slatts huffed and puffed, not their best games but not terrible.  Miller looked very composed and tidy. Good pass over to SOD for the goal.

Forwards - Both did well in patches. Good finish and positioning from Bair. Wilko looks tidy and I think will grow into it each game once he gets up to speed with the Scottish game.

As for the goal conceded, a bit of team f**k up really. Poor from Souare and lazy from Slatts for the cross. A good cross but McGinn left marking two men and didn't really even get near either. 

Edited by eliphas

We really just need to settle down and make the right decisions more. So many times we just passed the ball side to side despite better alternatives.

Also c9rners amd free kicks had absolutley no end result. Straight to the keeper or a Dundee player.