Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Swami said:

It’s absolutely mental to me that Lennon Miller is just an automatic first choice in our midfield now, and doesn’t look even slightly out of place, at 16 years old. 

Aye, it's bonkers. I said similar after the Dundee game. He's just a naturally superb footballer. Have to give credit to Slattery & Spittal alongside him who do a fair amount of graft. 

Miller, should he steer clear of injury, will go on to have a very good career at a very high level. 

Also, as others have pointed out, it's very good to see all the new strikers off the mark for the season by mid-August. Takes a fair bit of pressure away. Don't want to pile too much pressure on Mika after only 40 minutes or so but I'd say he's odds-on to win a Ballon D'Or by the end of the decade.

Missed the game today, but having just seen the Sportscene highlights Biereth looks quality, Stevenson didn’t know what to do with him at the run up to the first goal. For the first season in years it looks like work commitments will keep me away from 75% of games and it looks like I’m going to be missing a season where there’s a wee buzz about players (Miller for one). 

Pretty dire first half, much more enjoyable 2nd half. 

Mika was indeed dynamite when he came on and brought the game to life. Looked 2nd favourite for both balls in behind and yet somehow created 2 goals from nothing. Fair play to Wilkinson as well, timed his run to the near post and it was a lovely finish into the far corner with his weaker foot. 

Defence was solid again and Kelly was largely untroubled. Souare looked a bit sharper again this week and despite the pre-match fears, kept Boyle quiet. Speaking of fitter, Slattery looks like a different player from last season and 6 games without a booking must be a record for him. And as others have said, incredible that Miller is strolling about at this level at only 16- another ball over the top leading to a goal again this week. 

It’s early days and there’s lots we could obviously improve on, however we lost a lot of key players from last season so are clearly still a bit of a work in progress. So it’s encouraging to see us still being competitive and picking up points a long the way as Kettlewell shapes his new side. 

Edited by Casagolda

Slattery literally looks like a new man, both physically and in his application, great showing today. Midfield looks to have a nice balance and excited to see what Zdravkovski has to offer once he's up to speed. 

Biereth already looks like being a coup, and our front men off the mark early doors for a wee confidence boost. Butcher back fit along with one or two departures and a couple of shrewd additions before the window closes and I can see it being a decent season  ahead.

Edited by 'WellDel

I was hoping Biereth was going to be an upgrade on our attacking options because, let's face it, we desperately need something. I wasn't expecting that sort of performance though. On the strength of that showing we could really have something special on our hands. 

Now, do Arsenal have any other talented youngsters they want to pass our way?

17 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

do Arsenal have any other talented youngsters they want to pass our way?

In complete FM fantasy stuff, get a "partnership" in place.

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Biereth sounds almost as good as Mandron

I don't know whether it was an outer league experience or you just got bored but I'm catching glimpses of the old Yassin returning. Like R9 at Old Trafford.

Pass the anti histamines 'cos I'm itching for more.

9 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I don't know whether it was an outer league experience or you just got bored but I'm catching glimpses of the old Yassin returning. Like R9 at Old Trafford.

Pass the anti histamines 'cos I'm itching for more.

It all ends with us losing to St Mirren next week so enjoy it while it lasts

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Don’t say this often. But I think the referee was excellent today. Don’t know who he is. But I did not think he got much wrong today. 

He blew for every challenge in the first 20 minutes then just let most things go.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I was hoping Biereth was going to be an upgrade on our attacking options because, let's face it, we desperately need something. I wasn't expecting that sort of performance though. On the strength of that showing we could really have something special on our hands. 

Now, do Arsenal have any other talented youngsters they want to pass our way?

Never mind that. Everyone knows we should be offering them Lennon Miller on loan with a view to signing him next summer for, say, £5 million. 

That's my first game this season as I've been away. I'd just be echoing what others have said so far, but no-one has mentioned Souare who I thought was really good today? I wasn't sure what to expect given some fairly lukewarm comments from previous games but I thought he was composed and passed it about well. 

4 minutes ago, CoF said:

That's my first game this season as I've been away. I'd just be echoing what others have said so far, but no-one has mentioned Souare who I thought was really good today? I wasn't sure what to expect given some fairly lukewarm comments from previous games but I thought he was composed and passed it about well. 

I've always maintained that players who have never played up here before need at least 3/4 games to get used to the difference in style.

Fans giving Wilkinson and Souare pelters in the cup games can now surely see that although they'll never be world beaters they're getting better the more games they get under their belts.

Don’t want to tempt fate. But I did discuss the impact that Kettlewell has had since he joined with friends today.

I mean 2 losses in 20+ games is fanciful stuff for anyone outside the Old Firm and even including them.

The wheels will most likely come off at some point but if they don’t then how long before another club come sniffing 🤷‍♂️