Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Frustrating and disappointing, ultimately. 

We continue to miss Butcher's presence and Johnson's pace. We know fine well that Robinson's 3-5-2 needs quick switches to counter (because teams did it continually to us) and the handful of times we did it were the rare occasions we actually threatened. 

Some pace from wingback and butcher's return and I think we'll be fine, but in the meantime that was shite.

That said, a team that's 'supposed' to be much better than us and we were well in the game. 

Thought Dunne was lucky not to see red.

We play 3-4-3 nowadays.

1 minute ago, rowsdower said:

We can't sell ourselves as a club that develops players if we then run our youngsters into the ground.

We have a squad for a reason. If we have full time players that we can't trust to start, then they shouldn't be here.

I completely agree about carefully nurturing our young talent, however, a one off cup game that offers us progression towards one of only 2 shots at glory each season should see us fielding the strongest and most confident 11 players we have at our disposal. Lennon Miller is among that number. I think we will be perfectly fine over the course of the season, there's plenty of time ahead for him to rest while our shot at the cup is gone.

We absolutely have a few players we can't trust on the books, hopefully Kettlewell's ruthless streak can see another couple moved on before the window closes. 

34 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

Collum had a stinker for both teams no doubt about that. Thought Mugabi would have walked for pulling the lad down when he was through on goal. Never seen the handball shout from the away end so can’t comment on that. Dunne was a red card all day long. 
i’ve seen Collum send off Mugabi against Hibs for less than Dunne’s challenge. 

Dunne was probably a red card I agree, but let's not gloss over the utterly mental and really uncharacteristically poor challenge from Paul McGinn on Ryan Strain seconds afterwards.

If Dunne walks, McGinn walks in that scenario. It probably was two red card challenges to be fair and Collum was in a situation where he gives one to both players or neither so gave neither. 

Mugabi could easily have walked on two separate occasions as well. Olusanya in his 12 minutes on the park absolutely terrorised him into making a challenge that prevents him going in on goal and then despite being on a booking, hauls him down on halfway at touchline a couple of minutes later.

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I do get that completely. My issue is resting him for a must win cup match . There’s only two cups we can go for .

Start with your best team ( that includes Miller and Biereth ) and if things go well you can take them off.

I would have rested Miller against Killie next weekend.

As would I.

We have two chances to roll the dice in the cups of getting good draws, performances etc and another 36 games to cement staying above St J and Livi, for example.

Biereth clearly isn't fit yet so I've nothing against leaving him on the bench.

But Miller this week rather than next and moving McGinn out the back three to solve the LWB issue were simply bad decisions - the first in terms of priority, second in terms of judgement.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Dunne was probably a red card I agree, but let's not gloss over the utterly mental and really uncharacteristically poor challenge from Paul McGinn on Ryan Strain seconds afterwards.

If Dunne walks, McGinn walks in that scenario. It probably was two red card challenges to be fair and Collum was in a situation where he gives one or neither so gave neither. 

Mugabi could easily have walked on two separate occasions as well. Olusanya in his 12 minutes on the park absolutely terrorised him into making a challenge that prevents him going in on goal and then despite being on a booking, hauls him down on halfway at touchline a couple of minutes later.

I genuinely never seen the McGinn one if I’m honest i must have been using the facilities at that point but if it was the same as Dunne’s challenge then aye it should have been a red because Dunne’s was really poor. As i said in ma previous post the most bizarre decision today was Gogic stumbling on to the park with the ball still in his hand ?! Collum and the lino were clueless as tae what should have happened 

3 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

I genuinely never seen the McGinn one if I’m honest i must have been using the facilities at that point but if it was the same as Dunne’s challenge then aye it should have been a red because Dunne’s was really poor. As i said in ma previous post the most bizarre decision today was Gogic stumbling on to the park with the ball still in his hand ?! Collum and the lino were clueless as tae what should have happened 

It was in the same incident. McGinn flew in on Strain about two seconds after Collum had blown up for the foul on Biereth. Maybe you were going too apeshit to see the challenge.

The Gogic one was funny, he slipped, thats all...and I thought it would be quite obvious that it couldn't be given as a foul throw given he didn't commit a foul throw as he didn't throw it? That's same logic as someone ready to take a shy, other player comes over and gets the ball chucked to him to take it.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It was in the same incident. McGinn flew in on Strain about two seconds after Collum had blown up for the foul on Biereth. Maybe you were going too apeshit to see the challenge.

The Gogic one was funny, he slipped, thats all...and I thought it would be quite obvious that it couldn't be given as a foul throw given he didn't commit a foul throw as he didn't throw it? That's same logic as someone ready to take a shy, other player comes over and gets the ball chucked to him to take it.

You have a point because i was perma ragin all game today but defo didn’t notice the McGinn challenge. That wee Strain b*****d  slowly walking off behind the goal to waste time as well. Brilliant banter tae see when yer team is winning as the buddies were singing his name but I could have strangled him the wee p***k 😆. End of the day no complaints from me St Mirren more than deserved the win. 
I need tae finish on a moan so i’ll say the after match traffic in Paisley is a b*****d 😡

Our cup exits and the manner of them stretching back as far as I can remember are genuinely shameful.

Albion Rovers, Ayr Utd, Ross County, Inverness x 2, Dundee in 2008, the 3 at home to Aberdeen under McCall, umpteen v St Mirren, twice v Hibs recently, Raith Rovers, the list goes on. 

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't speak for anyone else but this was definitely me.

Biereth starting was simply not an option, from the looks of things. He said last week he's only got a half in his legs.

41 minutes ago, Kempes said:

I assume SK thought that having a right footed left back was worth a try to stop him. It worked, to some extent, but you don’t save them Liam!

You're over thinking that we simply don't have another left back here, tbh.

3 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

You have a point because i was perma ragin all game today but defo didn’t notice the McGinn challenge. That wee Strain b*****d  slowly walking off behind the goal to waste time as well. Brilliant banter tae see when yer team is winning as the buddies were singing his name but I could have strangled him the wee p***k 😆. End of the day no complaints from me St Mirren more than deserved the win. 
I need tae finish on a moan so i’ll say the after match traffic in Paisley is a b*****d 😡

Strain was brilliant. The fat baldy Motherwell da who followed him half the length of the stand going purple in the face was tremendous entertainment. 

And Paisley is a fucking horror show to drive in at best of times. Post match traffic is so much worse.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Can't speak for anyone else but this was definitely me.

Biereth starting was simply not an option, from the looks of things. He said last week he's only got a half in his legs.

You're over thinking that we simply don't have another left back here, tbh.

We have Nathan McGinley of course and if SK can’t trust him in a game like this then there is no point him being here . Get him off the wage bill and get in someone he trusts and is more dynamic. 

I would be bringing in some competition for SOD as well on the other side. Looks like we might need another forward to cover for permacrock Obika as well. 

We will be fine this year in terms of avoiding the relegation scrap (i hope) but a major flaw we have is pace. We have no quick players at all tae hit teams on the counter.
How many times today did we have the chance tae break away then end up with the defence passing it along the back or even going all the way back tae Kelly ?
Only time we worried St Mirren was when Mika and Efford came on and even then it wasn’t exactly great. 
Kettlewell has a lot of credit in the bank but he can’t start Wilkinson and Bair next Saturday it doesn’t work.

9 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

We have Nathan McGinley of course and if SK can’t trust him in a game like this then there is no point him being here . Get him off the wage bill and get in someone he trusts and is more dynamic. 

I would be bringing in some competition for SOD as well on the other side. Looks like we might need another forward to cover for permacrock Obika as well. 

We're definitely a couple of bodies light and hopefully that can be addressed before the end of the window.

Agree completely on McGinley. He's a mile out the picture, yet limbering up throughout the game again without ever being a serious prospect to come on and play any significant part. I know he's had personal issues which appear to be non-football related and I sympathise with that. However, we're a business and not a charity. I think we seem to have done more than our bit in seeing him back to health. Time for an amicable parting and freeing up of a likely decent wage.