Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

Getting Spittal and Slattery tied down, if it is even possible should be priority number one.

I suspect both is probably slightly optimistic but we can wish.

Spittal hopefully if he’s settled, Slattery though I’m certain will be a go. 

It’s unfortunate we’re going to lose him for nothing but I don’t think you can really blame the club for this one. They paid a fee and gave him a 3 year deal on good money obviously with the hope of punting him on.

That first 6 months or so, it looked like a good bit of business. However last season he was miles off the levels required. Obviously issues in his personal life took their toll but physically and mentally, he just wasn’t right. Apart from the odd flash of ability, he was more of a liability than anything else and getting 17 yellow cards(and a red) was just ridiculous. 

This season though he looks fit and focused, back to the player he was when he joined. You can tell he’s absolutely brimming with a confidence at the minute too- like nearly scoring from his own half. He’s only been booked once in 9 games as well, due to his much improved fitness and work rate. Playing like this, I imagine he’ll have his sights set on a move to a higher level. 

The two of them playing off a main striker is working a treat and honestly I’d be reluctant to change it at the minute. Some of the one touch stuff and interplay for Slattery’s goal and Spittal’s chance at the start of the 2nd half was outrageously good. 

That game yesterday was ideal for Bevis yesterday.  Particularly the last half hour when Hearts were throwing everything at us.  That's his strengths, heading the ball away and getting in the way of things.  Still good value in him making a c**t of things against St. Mirren and costing us a goal. 

There was even a bit in the first half yesterday where he took Casey out and almost put a Hearts boy through on goal.  If he can get us through until November time, when Butcher is due back, as pain free as possible, it'll be job done.

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

Apart from the odd flash of ability, he was more of a liability than anything else and getting 17 yellow cards(and a red) was just ridiculous. 

This actually didn't bother me in the slightest, the sheer number of passes he lashed straight out of play, however, was going to send me to an early grave.

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

That game yesterday was ideal for Bevis yesterday.  Particularly the last half hour when Hearts were throwing everything at us.  That's his strengths, heading the ball away and getting in the way of things.  Still good value in him making a c**t of things against St. Mirren and costing us a goal. 

There was even a bit in the first half yesterday where he took Casey out and almost put a Hearts boy through on goal.  If he can get us through until November time, when Butcher is due back, as pain free as possible, it'll be job done.

And for the free header straight after Spittal's miss, Spencer would probably have been culprit #1 for selling himself chasing out but Bevis would have been a strong #2 for having the ball sail over his head from the cross.

3 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Away from the match, Still find it very odd that Mckinstry and Goss are without clubs.

I noticed as well that Kian Spiers, who made his debut under Hammell and we done a full segment on off the back of it is still without a club. 

And Steven Fletcher too. Wonder if he now regrets not joining the Lanarkshire galacticos. 

I would still expect all of them to get a gig somewhere. But maybe most clubs have decided budgets spent during the transfer window. 

Great result yesterday. Incredible and almost unbelievable run the team and Manager are on. Should be a decent crowd and game v St Mirren in a couple of weeks. Always good to go into an International break on the back of a win. May look at the league table a few times over this short period 👏

Only just saw the goal from yesterday and it really was a cracking bit of football. 

Tiki Taka is already associated with Barcelona so I don't know what you'd call our wee bit of play yesterday. Tikka Taka in honour of The Thread© and our love of curries? 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

After everything I saw yesterday, I'm wondering if we're entering the mythical Bevis Time where he's now played enough games to be good (as @thisGRAEME would have us believe happens) 

I think this is definitely a thing, he has had many spells out the team and a fewer amount of periods where we thought he was ‘good’ which have coincided with a solid run in the team.

Equally with Bazooka Joe, we all slated him for his recent cameos but he was six (?) months into his time with us before we saw anything from him, it could be the same after a long lay off.  Will he get that time? Probably not.

3 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Away from the match, Still find it very odd that Mckinstry and Goss are without clubs.

I noticed as well that Kian Spiers, who made his debut under Hammell and we done a full segment on off the back of it is still without a club. 

Goss has massively fucked it I think. He was decent under Kettlewell but no more than that and it feels like he has fallen for his own hype.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

The two of them playing off a main striker is working a treat and honestly I’d be reluctant to change it at the minute. Some of the one touch stuff and interplay for Slattery’s goal and Spittal’s chance at the start of the 2nd half was outrageously good. 

We spent all summer saying that we had no strikers, now we have hunners and we only need one.  I guess we call it having options?

35 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Depends on when the videos were taken but I noticed that from the look of the IG stories McKinstry posted over the weekend that he seems to be having a nice time on holiday.

20 minutes ago, ropy said:

What does the Indian season look like, does it start later on?  Might there be deals in place that haven’t been announced yet?

AFAIK the Indian season starts in September. At least Wiki has it starting on Sept 22nd running through to March - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_Indian_Super_League

Tbh, that's kind of what I thought may have been the case with Goss however as @Swello says it looks like there's a fair chance he may have fucked it.

31 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Tikka Taka in honour of The Thread© and our love of curries? 

@Ron Aldo Thank you.  

I don't know if any of the lads who run/work on the pie stalls ever lurk on here, but if there's not Tikka Taka Pies on sale in the East Stand by October, I'll be thoroughly disappointed.   

I was thinking about the managerial merry go round given that guys like Kettlewell and Robinson are ‘hot’ at the moment.  Where is their head at? An opportunity to build a dynasty over a period of time at a club, or jump at a ‘bigger’ club for more cash in the short term.  Do they think I am a good fit for where I am or I might win something with a city club.  This applies to Martindale as well - he is a good fit for Livingston, why risk something else.

The problem with loyalty is that neither we the fans, nor the club board return it if there is a fallow period.

I often think back to Wee Tommy, he got time to build his squad then we won a cup, the most frequent shout from the terrace was ‘resign McLean’.

Anyway, it’s Monday morning, top of the league……