Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 hours ago, ropy said:

Points total now below par, need a win in the next 2 or 3 games.

Being a bit of a stat geek, I looked this up last week when you were mentioning it.

Since the split came about in the 2000/01 season, we've finished on 1 PPG or less on four occasions and I don't particularly fancy repeating any of those seasons.

2002/03 - 0.74 points per game - finished bottom (Butcher)
2006/07 - 1 point per game - finished 10th - marked safe from relegation on the penultimate game (Malpas)
2014/15 - 0.95 points per game - finished 11th and had to survive via playoffs (McCall / Baraclough)
2016/17 - 1 point per game - finished 9th - again marked safe from relegation on the penultimate game (McGhee / Robinson).

Over those seasons, we've averaged 13.3 points from the first and third round of fixtures. We're traditionally slightly higher (14.2 points) from the second round of fixtures, but 0 from 6 isn't a great start there, so we're below par on all fronts.

As @YassinMoutaouakilmentioned yesterday, in the last three seasons we've got 11, 11 and 12 games without winning at one point. Remarkably in those three seasons, the lowest we finished was 8th in 2020/21 (when we actually had the same points as 5th place).

Looking at the all sugar and all shite aspect of it, our current run of 10 games has brought us 5 points. Since 2016/17, we've had a 10 game like this run 6 out of the 8 seasons (it's even been 4 twice). Prior to 2016/17, you'd have got go back to the season we finished bottom for a run that bad, but it seems almost normal in recent years to have a slump like this.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

This is around the same kind of logic as the midfield needing Barry Maguire, or the attack needing Ross Tierney; no.

I like Ross.

I mean needing him is heavy, but I'd defo be looking at giving him a chance amongst this shite.

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

not really had much to contribute so haven't bothered -

Glad you're all good Capt 👍 

I know you've been taking a break from posting but, ironically, that part of your post sums up our team perfectly at the moment.

Edited by MurrayWell

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I like Ross.

I mean needing him is heavy, but I'd defo be looking at giving him a chance amongst this shite.

He isn't good enough.

I would like us to stop signing, appointing, or indulging "short kings" at all levels at the club.

51 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

As close to the same team as the start of the season but with Gent and Spencer on their correct sides, Butcher or Davor in for Miller and Biereth and Obika upfront. 

I'm not a million miles away from your line of thinking, but for me I'd go back to as close as the end of last season as possible.

Spencer and Gent on their correct sides where Johnston and Furlong were.

The back three from last season - Blaney until McGinn is fit. Cutting Butcher some slack as this is essentially his pre season.

Happy enough with Paton and Slattery, but equally their form has dipped enough that I wouldn't be against wee Davor getting a go. Spittal just ahead.

Obika (until his next injury) as foil for our one striker in Biereth with a bit about them.

Say, Kettlewell did get the sack (which I'm not an advocate of for the record), it would suprise me if a new manager didn't come in and do something like that. I think managers on bad runs sometimes tie themselves in so many knots that they wouldn't entertain the fact that something simple could solve it.

28 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I like Ross.

100% with you - I'd love to have him as an option at the moment. He's a central attacking midfielder and our prevous 5-4-1, and current set up at times, needs them once we burn out Spittal and Slattery every game by about the hour mark.

Edited by eliphas

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Although I hope to see more of Davor in the coming weeks I have to point out that he is toaty.

Wee Davor started in the cup game away to St Mirren and the drop off in quality between him and Millers performances up to that point was pretty stark. Heavy Robbie Crawford vibes.

We obviously need to give the guy a chance but it looks to me that SK doesn’t trust him and will only use him as a last resort.

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

100% with you - I'd love to have him as an option at the moment. He's a central attacking midfielder and our prevous 5-4-1, and current set up at times, needs them once we burn out Spittal and Slattery every game by about the hour mark.

I'd agree with this. Tierney is probably never going to fit into a 5-3-2, so you could maybe say it's a bit unfortunate that the 5-4-1 Kettlewell stumbled onto would actually- on paper- suit him pretty well but that's an expected consequence of spending the summer building a squad based around one fairly rigid formation.

I'm not sure what happened with Efford, whether he was working his ticket or if Kettlewell froze him out- it's not like he was a worldbeater anyway- but I'm not sure he'd be any less effective out wide than Wilkinson or Bair.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd agree with this. Tierney is probably never going to fit into a 5-3-2, so you could maybe say it's a bit unfortunately that the 5-4-1 Kettlewell stumbled onto would actually- on paper- suit him pretty well but that's an expected consequence of spending the summer building a squad based around one fairly rigid formation.

I'm not sure what happened with Efford, whether he was working his ticket or if Kettlewell froze him out- it's not like he was a worldbeater anyway- but I'm not sure he'd be any less effective out wide than Wilkinson or Bair.

For all the hard time he got from a section of our support I think Efford would have worked well where Wilkinson was playing on Saturday ie up the line from SOD. 

10 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

For all the hard time he got from a section of our support I think Efford would have worked well where Wilkinson was playing on Saturday ie up the line from SOD. 

It is ironic how he got rid of players like Efford, Tierney and McKinstry who would fit into that 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 formation whatever it is and signed players who don’t and now is playing that…. 

His signings in the summer where only conducive to a 5-3-2 however the injuries to all strikers resulted in him having to change, playing well but not scoring or winning, sticking to it when we should have changed ie Livi away and now being it a total shit rut.

He really hasn’t helped himself.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Hello.

giphy.gif

As @Busta Nut mentioned I'm all good. Nice of you to check in though.

Tbh, I've been busy with my actual job but as a couple of you noticed I've still been lurking around and have reacted to a few things here and there but in terms of posting I've not really had much to contribute so haven't bothered - there have been a couple of times I've been away to post something but after reading them back just ended up deleting them as they were pretty fucking dull.

Anyway, as you were, crack on lads...

Cheers, glad you are ok. Was wondering if I should have posted the message the other night but then I thought if something had been wrong and I hadn't asked I'd have felt worse.

Cheers @Busta Nut never had a chance to reply to your message either.

Hopefully the team will give us something worth talking about after the international break

I'm obviously scunnered like everyone else with the current state of play but I've not given up hope with Kettlewell and the majority of the players. I think it's partly because of the league table and the goodwill in the bank from the run at the end of last season. Had the league table been a bit less tight I probably wouldn't be as patient. I think the fact I know the team and players have shown they are capable of more gives me some hope too.

Every team goes on bad runs but the way this year and last year has gone I do get the feeling that we have quite a number of 'confidence' type players who are maybe a bit fragile. I think we will (and should) give Kettlewell until the winter break to turn things around but the first three fixtures in December are massive. We need to get some wins on the board against Dundee, Ross County and St Mirren.

To me, the recent run seems to be a combination of awful defending, players form dipping and maybe getting found out a wee bit in terms of our tactical system.

My main frustration from the last few games has been our inability to make contact at set pieces, i don't know what has happened but we just don't seem to be winning headers. I'm not the biggest Bevis fan in the world but I would be bringing him back in to try to combat that. Between him and Casey there is no way other teams should be dominating in the air to the extent they are.

Up front, at the moment it looks like our recruitment is letting us down badly. Biereth aside, we probably have the worst striking options in the league.