Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, D-Fens Foster said:

Van der Gaag ? Did he not get the heavy knock back for Baraclough ? Big Mitch n Mickey Weir management duo ? 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I love there's an alternative universe where Big Mitch is coaching semi-pro back home rather than being Billy Big Baws at Man Utd because we sacked him one year for being 10th with 23 points from 26 games. 

Fitba is just such a mental world. One day big Mitch is just another journeyman jobber who scores a once in a lifetime worldie to keep wee Motherwell in the Scottish top flight, the next he is firing about in supercars as assistant at Man Utd. There's no way, when he was cutting about Hamilton Palace, that the big yin saw this on his horizon. 

More power to him, but fvck me, what a trajectory. 

Edited by 'WellDel

18 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If the decision has been made to give Kettlewell the window come hell or high water, fine, but communicate it and get everyone back on board.

You've hit the nail on the head perfectly with that post and I agree, especially with that bit. Come out and let us know where we all stand, I may be wrong but I don't think it's too much to ask especially given all the uncertainty around the club. If they plan on giving him the January window then say so so we know where we all stand. Hell, if things are that tight financially and we really can't afford to sack him and hire someone new as well as bring in the players required to try and keep us up so we're sticking with him for the rest of the season as his contract will be up at the end of it then tell us, whether some like it or not, so we can all get on with backing the team and trying to stay in the league.

As you and many others have said it's the uncertainty and lack of communication which is the most frustrating thing right now.

I've been critical of the board and the overall comms the last few days.

But, to be fair to them, them coming out and saying as a one off comms 'The manager has our backing and will be given til the window at least' means as much as the virtual paper it would be written on. It's kind of club management 101 and usually means the manager is sacked the next week.

Valuable comms are a hard balance to strike. Especially if it's not your thing normally. 

If I had a suggestion, for any board or well society board member looking in, keep it simple and start with this...it doesn't need to be a big all singing and all dancing marketing production. A few paragraphs with a real info, not bumph...

- A monthly short update from the CEO or Chairman. 

- Posted on the website/socials and emailed from the club itself, not the society. It can probably come from the society too via Dickie/Feely. But feels like for me at this point it needs to seen to be coming from the CEO/Chairman and not lost with Society nice-ness.

- Wee update on things that can be updated on. I do actually think knowing we are working on extending Braidwood relationships is useful, for example.

- Addressing of general fan sentiment at the time.  McMahon, Weir and others are in the ground most weeks. They know the vibe. Slot some Kettlewell has our backing sentences in here if they want.

- Pat yourself on the back for good stuff that's happened.

- Foster some engagement with fans, ask for comment

Edited by eliphas

6 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This playoff vs Raith will be some laugh. We'll get about 6 last minute equalisers than they'll score another immediately after each time.

Louis Moult relegating us is going to be a bad yin.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

I've been critical of the board and the overall comms the last few days.

But, to be fair to them, them coming out and saying as a one off comms 'The manager has our backing and will be given til the window at least' means as much as the virtual paper it would be written on. It's kind of club management 101 and usually means the manager is sacked the next week.

Valuable comms are a hard balance to strike. Especially if it's not your thing normally. 

Actually agree with this and I was thinking that yesterday.

The whole vote of confidence approach more often than not just leaves the club looking flaky. It's a fluid situation, we could've released a statement with the best of intentions backing the manager on Monday and genuinely meant it then get battered by St Mirren on Saturday and feel we have to act. I agree strongly with @crazylegsjoe_mfc's point in their post yesterday that if you don't trust a manager you have to get rid of them but equally everything has a tipping point and I don't think publicly backing yourself into a corner really helps anyone.

That said there has to be a middle ground between Dave Cormack pitching up on Radio Scotland with his Data defence of Stephen Glass and the stoic silent situation we seem to have at the moment where we say nothing and wait for that final straw.

I guess we had that balance with Burrows who even if he wasn't talking directly about the big stuff directly was both visible and present so you had an idea of our general direction rather than the current empty space.

That doesn't mean they have to take Burrows' lead and engage with every reply guy on Twitter regardless of whether they're a Motherwell fan or not. Even briefing friendly journalists and giving them a steer as to what's going on would be a good start.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Like he's swallowed a thesaurus.

Not a dig, btw. Fair play to him. 

He does seem a bit more interesting than your standard footballer - always comes over like a good lad as well..

24 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Oxborough has only played for the Steelmen twice this season and both of those outings came in the League Cup group stages in July, when Motherwell kept clean sheets in wins over Queen of the South and East Fife.

Quality journalism from the Daily Record as always...