Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not sure if anyone has seen Up In The Air where George Clooney cuts about America as a freelancer paid to sack folk but I can imagine Ketts being a fan.

This is the kind of micro-niche reference that keeps me coming back. 

Pleased we've brought in a RB. See how it goes.

And Give me 23/4 James Scott "restart project" over Joel Nouble resuscitation effort anytime

Just on Nouble, I think he is hard to get the ball off of but don’t remember anything more positive from him.  Was it him that had a good period at Ayr?  I would gamble with Scott but fear he will be added to the lengthening list of failed returners.

Just now, ropy said:

Just on Nouble, I think he is hard to get the ball off of but don’t remember anything more positive from him.  Was it him that had a good period at Ayr?  I would gamble with Scott but fear he will be added to the lengthening list of failed returners.

He had his good half season at abroath, then came back to livi and played well that season, and for me hasn't lived up to the hype since.

56 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

True, but his pal he brought with him was good value on social media.

It genuinely baffles me how he was ever signed, and for some unknown reason really bugs me when other Australian players get doubted because of his signing.

Spoiler

danzaki.thumb.png.848e0a09ba2adc94e1a62b581b6ca388.png

Its literally impossible for him not to look absolutely shite data wise, which surely somebody at some point looked at.

Whereas this is Elliot.

elliot.thumb.png.bfa03b8a5177ea96c798fca4ade274a1.png

Think hes more of a Chris Cadden than a Max Johnston, at first glance.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It genuinely baffles me how he was ever signed, and for some unknown reason really bugs me when other Australian players get doubted because of his signing.

Reveal hidden contents

Its literally impossible for him not to look absolutely shite data wise, which surely somebody at some point looked at.

Whereas this is Elliot.

All joking aside that whole debacle still makes zero sense. Months of effort to get the deal done and I swear I've never seen anyone look so far out their depth. I would love to hear exactly how this situation panned out but I fear it was solely down to Hammell thinking that Celtic have done well out of that market so why can't we.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your radar is missing a 'Tam Aldred and Scott McDonald told us he was good' metric. :)

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

All joking aside that whole debacle still makes zero sense. Months of effort to get the deal done and I swear I've never seen anyone look so far out their depth. I would love to hear exactly how this situation panned out but I fear it was solely down to Hammell thinking that Celtic have done well out of that market so why can't we.

I'm very sure we looked at Celtics success and decided thier players were good because they were Japanese, and that they signed good players that happened to be Japanese.

Mind the same happened on my cricket team where the captain would open the batting with you if you were Indian or Pakistani, sight unseen.

My favourite thing about it was Hammell saying that he'd been up at all hours of the night video chatting with Riku for weeks, and that he seemed like a great guy, and then he got here and it turned out he didn't speak a fucking word of English 😂

Just now, Al B said:

My favourite thing about it was Hammell saying that he'd been up at all hours of the night video chatting with Riku for weeks, and that he seemed like a great guy, and then he got here and it turned out he didn't speak a fucking word of English 😂

Tomo sitting there in the Zoom call like

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

An interesting comment from Scott Burns on twitter ' it will be interesting to see whether or not Gronigen will lower the wage demands before the end of the window' in relation to somebody asking about forwards coming into Fir Park.

probably looking to much into it but, Welcome Kev.

21 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

An interesting comment from Scott Burns on twitter ' it will be interesting to see whether or not Gronigen will lower the wage demands before the end of the window' in relation to somebody asking about forwards coming into Fir Park.

probably looking to much into it but, Welcome Kev.

@Handsome_Devil suggested that may be in play the other week.

Also, assuming that's Shaw away it leaves us literally with one fit striker.

We've really cleared the decks in that area of the park and in keeping with the Cutthroat Ketts line given the loan window for Championship sides up here runs a bit longer would anyone definitively rule out us trying to offload Obika at some point if we're not able to rely on his fitness (which we're not)?

Logically, even if Obika was to stick around with Wilko, Biereth and Shaw away (and us not having had to pay any of them off) that presumably frees up budget.

Begs the question of how many we actually need to add though. 3 out 2 in? Seeing as Shaw being here probably wasn't planned until Wilkinson and Mika picked up their injuries?

Edited by capt_oats

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Reveal hidden contents

Whereas this is Elliot.

On the scale of red being bad and green being good, that seems positive!

Getting Obika out the door will require a miracle. There's always someone willing to take a chance on crap players, far fewer on guys who are basically ornaments in the treatment room.

Assuming we still want to play two up from the start occasionally, we need four forwards. If Shaw does leave, I reckon we'll bring in two - you could argue that JO being such a write off means he doesn't really count and we need another on top but I just don't see that as realistic. Or even desirable given we've seen the market that'd be.

I'm on board with Scott returning as an option but, as others have said, we're now in a situation where we need 2 or 3 forwards in. Oli Shaw going is ideal, Obika will be here until the summer imo, after the physio thanks him for his efforts. 

KvV as the KvV replacement? Count me in. If we have Bair, Scott (or someone like that), Gent, Spittal, Elliot doing his running he doesn't need to be 100 per cent fit. He only needs to be here to chew bubble gum and score goals...