Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I'm on board with Scott returning as an option but, as others have said, we're now in a situation where we need 2 or 3 forwards in. Oli Shaw going is ideal, Obika will be here until the summer imo, after the physio thanks him for his efforts. 

KvV as the KvV replacement? Count me in. If we have Bair, Scott (or someone like that), Gent, Spittal, Elliot doing his running he doesn't need to be 100 per cent fit. He only needs to be here to chew bubble gum and score goals... 

I know anyone that we're dragging in kicking and screaming at this point is going to be a risk, but really feel like Scott is quite a big one, in that he's barely played, and even more rarely played well since leaving us. In reality, I guess it's a case of weighing up all the risky options we have and taking the least risky one.

Kev would be class, absolutely no qualms about getting him in, it just all feels a bit fanciful to do it.

ETA: Whatever we do, we need to do it... now. Our next four games could be absolutely crucial. Saints and County are both six pointers, Killie are pish on the road, and Morton away is just a good chance to keep a bit of positivity around the place with a cup run. With the talk of project players and building squads and whatever, irrelevant if we continue to be shit for the next month.

Edited by thisGRAEME

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I know anyone that we're dragging in kicking and screaming at this point is going to be a risk, but really feel like Scott is quite a big one, in that he's barely played, and even more rarely played well since leaving us. In reality, I guess it's a case of weighing up all the risky options we have and taking the least risky one.

TBH I started writing a post a couple of times about Scott yesterday and how I didn't think it would be the best idea, but I think we're in a position where if we're bringing in a couple of forward options, we at least know he can do a bit of a job. Absolutely with you on the risk factor, if it's the Scott we sold for £1.25m(ish) happy days, if it's the Hibs or English lower league version then... well that's not ideal. 

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Whatever we do, we need to do it... now. Our next four games could be absolutely crucial.

I said this on Saturday but I would hope if they have emptied the entire forward line that they are confident of having *someone* in by the weekend as having Spittal and Bair as your only forward options is more than risky. 

If KVV is really a thing - that would be an 11pm on the 31st kind of deal when it's clear no one else wants him - but we have a six pointer before that.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

If KVV is really a thing - that would be an 11pm on the 31st kind of deal when it's clear no one else wants him - but we have a six pointer before that.

Yeah this is also my concern. Like Hammell hanging about begging Snodgrass to come play for us then... didn't, leaving us with a hole to fill and no time or ability to fill it. 

Kev is an add on, surely, rather than the whole show?

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yeah this is also my concern. Like Hammell hanging about begging Snodgrass to come play for us then... didn't, leaving us with a hole to fill and no time or ability to fill it. 

He has to be because much like Groningen's negotiating position has collapsed, our strength lies in the fact we have options. If it's Jan 31 and we clearly desperately need a forward and he's it, suddenly they know we're forced to dig a bit deeper - to a level I imagine we'd be very nervous about, given the risk.

We should go about our business like he's not an option and if they call us late on we can happily talk. The pitch will then be we're doing them a favour - they'll no doubt be glad to save a couple of k on wages each week till May but the big money (reduction of loss at least) for them is getting him to f**k in summer and that's much more likely with some goals for us first.

4 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Aye, a striker by the weekend, is a must, as is a CB. 

putting the question to Rangers over Leon King wouldn't be the worst shout.

I'll eat my metaphorical hat if we sign a CB given our numbers there...the plan will be to take pressure off them further up the park, stumble into something which kind of works and try to fix it in summer.

9 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Think we're at our limit of loans from Premiership teams. I'm sure @capt_oats mentioned previously that you can only have two from the league (Halliday and Montgomery). 

Tbf, I'm not anywhere near certain on that but I was sure there was a cap on the number of loans you could have from teams in the same division.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, I'm not anywhere near certain on that but I was sure there was a cap on the number of loans you could have from teams in the same division.

Ah cool, no worries mate. I think you're right btw. Last thing I could see on it was it moving from one player from the same league to two, that was 2020/21. 

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'll eat my metaphorical hat if we sign a CB given our numbers there...the plan will be to take pressure off them further up the park, stumble into something which kind of works and try to fix it in summer.

That is a good point as well. Do we have time scales on Casey and Blaney? Big Bevis getting hooked about 8 minutes into the second half was rather telling (I think)

If you have Elliot on the right and Montgomery on the left, Mcginn and Butcher plus one other SHOULD hopefully be a marked improvement.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Valid, also unsure on the rule but it would make sense, don't imagine it being more than 2 or 3.

50 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Get KVV on The Terrace, say this to his face and sell it for £15 PPV imo.

He's the cherry on the top.

Either you have cake: good, or cake with the cherry on top: better.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

if it's the Scott we sold for £1.25m(ish) happy days

I’m convinced that to get that James Scott, you also need Stephen Robinson on the sidelines giving himself an aneurysm.

To be fair, it’s a role I could see Kettlewell stepping into. 

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Getting Obika out the door will require a miracle. There's always someone willing to take a chance on crap players, far fewer on guys who are basically ornaments in the treatment room.

Us?

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Defintley. 

The challenge really is that the money we'd need to likely contribute to a wage for him, even a small % to them, will be a big % to us. 

So we kind of need to either know he's coming now, as in right now, or rule the whole thing out I reckon.t

If the latter, settle for the fact if he ends up arriving it's either financed by Jim McMahon/someone or we are getting him for nothing/very minimal contribitions because Groningen can't put him anywhere else and really really want him gone for a bit.