Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

28 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Between Rooney and Ozbolt the new target group seems to be 'scores winners in cup finals', a significant improvement from 'always injured'.

This will do us well for this seasons Scottish cup final.

I don't believe we have scored in a final since the league cup in 2005 (I think it was? The 5-1 against rangers).

5 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

This will do us well for this seasons Scottish cup final.

I don't believe we have scored in a final since the league cup in 2005 (I think it was? The 5-1 against rangers).

So our last cup final scorer was Partridge?

IMG_3190.png

Would be very happy if we managed to sign Shaun Rooney. Don't know the catch though as he has been playing for them recently.

He was excellent for St J in the cup winning year. Out of contract in the summer so that may be that. 

Believe it when it is over the line.  Fully expect St Mirren or Dundee to double our offer of two bubblies and a bottle of Irn Bru. 

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Would be very happy if we managed to sign Shaun Rooney. Don't know the catch though as he has been playing for them recently.

He was excellent for St J in the cup winning year. Out of contract in the summer so that may be that. 

Believe it when it is over the line.  Fully expect St Mirren or Dundee to double our offer of two bubblies and a bottle of Irn Bru. 

He’s from Bellshill so he might just want up the road.

But as you say the batphone has probably already started ringing in Robinsons office .

3 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Depends what you mean by silly money. So if  If we offer a striker £1750 per week and say St Mirren offer him £2k per week we just give up ?  Even though we are IMO still in a relegation dogfight? At this point in time our league safety trumps this wage structure pish  - we need strikers otherwise we are fucked. 

The manager needs to be backed properly otherwise what was the point in keeping him on? 

I agree with the last part.

But if we were seriously offering £150k for Ozbolt, then I think its safe to say that the board are happy to back the manager in the right circumstances.

I wouldnt want to lose a player we really wanted over £250 a week. But if St Mirren or Dundee come back in with their own counter offers, there has to ve a point where we say thanks, but no thanks?

3 hours ago, santheman said:

Suppose its inevitable when you're looking at an ever decreasing player pool then you're going to try and get players that have played for you at some time and know if they'll fit into your system.

I'm sure at some point in the future there'll be a player that can boast to have played for every SPL team outwith the Old Firm.

Doesn't say much about the talent coming up through the lower leagues though.

I

This is true.

I know Motherwell fans do think of it as ridiculous and in some ways it is but Robinson also does have a history of going back to the well (scuse the pun) elsewhere. He's a guy who simply trust folk he works with.

I've no doubt in my mind that if or when he gets another gig down south at a level higher than he's at now, folk like Strain, Baccus, Ethan Erhahon, Richard Taylor, Zach Hemming etc will be high on his wanted list.

40 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Rooney is a player we had on trial years ago in the championship when he left Queens Park. I thought he showed up well in his one friendly he turned out in for us but Ian Murray didn't and he ended up signing for Dunfermline. A player I've always liked and one I'd have been happy to see at us.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Rooney is a player we had on trial years ago in the championship when he left Queens Park. I thought he showed up well in his one friendly he turned out in for us but Ian Murray didn't and he ended up signing for Dunfermline. A player I've always liked and one I'd have been happy to see at us.

Must admit I didn't have Rooney on my radar at all until the obvious season and he clearly had a spell where everything clicked and he was virtually unplayable (for our level). Ok he he tailed off a bit the next season but I thought his move to England would have been better than Fleetwood... though they're obviously a basket case so maybe they offered a ridiculous contract.

Given he's been playing regularly there it seems a surprise he'd wander back up the road to the same level he was before.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I've no doubt in my mind that if or when he gets another gig down south at a level higher than he's at now, folk like Strain, Baccus, Ethan Erhahon, Richard Taylor, Zach Hemming etc will be high on his wanted list.

If Aberdeen had any sense they'd take him after punting Robson shortly.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

If Aberdeen had any sense they'd take him after punting Robson shortly.

They won't. Too close to taking Goodwin off us, their fans would be up in arms lowering themselves to another St. Mirren manager.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

They won't. Too close to taking Goodwin off us, their fans would be up in arms lowering themselves to another St. Mirren manager.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I wonder if Burrows would tip the balance. He clearly felt forced into taking Robson, I could see him making it clear this time he wants his choice, and having it wrapped up inside days.