Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

St J must look at Bair and ask how the f**k we got no indication of this.

Not really, tbh.

A mix of things falling for him to give him confidence + an extended run of games is likely the key. Add in the fact youre probably playing to his strengths more while we were punting balls 5ft above him on the wing.

Hes probably the most extreme example of shite to sugar i can remember seeing, but hes also not the first (or the last) to do it.

I still think it was best for everyone for him to leave us this Summer, even with the knowledge of how it's turned out. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not really, tbh.

A mix of things falling for him to give him confidence + an extended run of games is likely the key. Add in the fact youre probably playing to his strengths more while we were punting balls 5ft above him on the wing.

Hes probably the most extreme example of shite to sugar i can remember seeing, but hes also not the first (or the last) to do it.

I still think it was best for everyone for him to leave us this Summer, even with the knowledge of how it's turned out. 

Agree re the run of games being key. I watched him early in the season- against East Fife I think - and he was awful. You can almost see him growing into it over the season to where he is now - fucking fantastic. 

Edited by 18May1991

Interesting but boring fact. Inbereen our last league win at ibrox (May 1997) and our last league win at Fir Park (December 2002) I can think of at least another 3 wins at Fir Park. May 98, 2-1 with a last minute Wllie Falconer header, September 98,1-0 with John Spencer on his debut and May 2000, 2-0 with Twaddle and Dpencer scoring.

6 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Interesting but boring fact. Inbereen our last league win at ibrox (May 1997) and our last league win at Fir Park (December 2002) I can think of at least another 3 wins at Fir Park. May 98, 2-1 with a last minute Wllie Falconer header, September 98,1-0 with John Spencer on his debut and May 2000, 2-0 with Twaddle and Dpencer scoring.

Was one of those the ‘Gie Spenny a job’ T-shirt game? 

remember it like it was yesterday. Except the opposition obviously. And score. 

1 minute ago, 18May1991 said:

That not Hearts in the cup?

12 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

That as Hearts in the cup. An absolute classic game by the way.

His T-shirt said something else when he scored v Rangers. 

That 2000 game is one of the best atmospheres I’ve seen in Fir Park. Chasing Europe and 2-0 up against Rangers, with the (unfounded) rumour that Hibs were winning the derby, to put us 4th. 

Twaddle was excellent that day at stretching the game and keeping us up the park. 

Wonder if things would have turned out a bit differently with administration and the likes if we had made it to the UEFA cup that year. 

I'm really glad to see Bair doing well for you guys.  Obviously it didn't work out for him at Saints, but hey ho.  He's a young guy who came to a different country and had a lot to cope with.  Really nice lad though, good luck to him.

I think Bair's attitude and application has been terrific since he joined. A much maligned figure in Scottish football, even during a tough first half of the season, he never hid and kept plugging away.

He has surprised many with not only the goals he has scored, but also the chances he has created for others and his ability to lead the line - yesterday being a prime example.

9 hours ago, dezz said:

I found out the result after emerging from an ice cave in the middle of Iceland this afternoon and assumed I had entered some alternate dimension. Class. 

To be fair it feels like the last time we won there was the last ice age

54 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Yeah his shirt underneath had the 'The Fridge' handwritten. Don't think he ever explained what the was about. 

I would have been 13 the last time we won a league game at Ibrox, I remember the short notice Sky change to the Monday, the Rangers fans queuing over night to secure their tickets to the 9 in a row party only for us to blow them away. I seem to remember Gazza missing a sitter tho. 

The following season I have fond memories of the win at Fir Park where Coyle and Falconer scored while wearing that florescent kit, I think that result derailed them in the persuit of 10.

Social media has been a joy to read through, they feel hard done by. It was the same ref who done the game at Ibrox earlier in the campaign and messed up the two Spencer decisions. 

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

That as Hearts in the cup. An absolute classic game by the way.

Was that not THE FRIDGE or something 

Just now, Cloontang said:

the Rangers fans queuing over night to secure their tickets to the 9 in a row party only for us to blow them away.

They had planned a Conga all the way from Ibrox to George Square for afterwards - so the world was saved from that sight at least.

I started going to games in February '97 and we then beat them four seasons in a row. The Willie Falconer one was the day before my 8th birthday which I remember fondly. I didn't think then that would be beat them in the league two years later, then not again until yesterday 😆

Sunday thoughts: until that late one 25 yards out (normally a penalty at Castle Greykull) did we give away a free-kick anywhere near the box all game? Given our recent record of defending set-pieces it must be kudos all round.

If I have one niggle about Bair yesterday it is he went on his own too often in the second-half instead of passing. Spittal (I think) was in acres of space 12 yards out on one occasion.

Through the 90's, beating Rangers was always brilliant fun (I'm pretty sure I was at every game we did it) but it was a regular thing for us and the idea it would just end would have seemed bizarre. 

The weirdest thing is that no Rangers supporter I know views us as an easy opponent (and I suppose we've got playoffs, LC Semi and taking a good few draws over recent years) where we've tended to think of it as the most hopeless fixture on the calendar. 

51 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

Yeah his shirt underneath had the 'The Fridge' handwritten. Don't think he ever explained what the was about.

Unsure if I am making this up or not, but I'm sure it was a nickname given to Faddy by a coach for keepig his cool under presure or something.

Remember exiting Castle Grayskull 83-84 season (when most of you were still twinkles in daddy's left testicle) after Andy Ritchie (pen) and Junior Burns scored after the obligatory McCoist penalty. Two knuckledraggers with orange scarves wrapped around their faces walking behnd us saying "Ye cannae beat us - we're the Derry".

The game that cost John Greig his job. image.thumb.jpeg.c310bd67c9c04a98e96f67e1ef7a83b3.jpeg