Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Worth noting as well that Kelly is a very popular member of the group. Not that Gordon isn't, but either way, I think it's fair to say it isn't cut and dried.

Also, for any and all society members, please have a look at the below;

Whatever your view of the society and how it operates, it can only operate effectively if it can actually reach you, so have a look and update.

Ta, for someone who's opted out of social media by in large now this is a good shout. Updated my details.

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I agree it's unlikely a third choice keeper would play but it's not too outlandish to imagine a scenario where you are a man down due to an injury in training and a keeper gets sent off. Or are you allowed to call up a replacement from the beach for the injured player?

Take it back to the old days when you had 2 outfield subs and no replacement goalie. Gunn plus 22 outfielders.

13 man matchday squad and if the keeper gets injured an outfield player takes his jersey and goes in instead. Stevie Kirk done it at Tynecastle and even saved a penalty. It all adds to the drama and excitement. Scrub this 5 subs pish and make football great again.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Clarke was brutal for years barring 1 or 2 seasons

You've got that the wrong way around tbh.

He was very, very good for us. Alan Mannus is one of the best keepers we've ever had yet Clark deservedly took his place. No idea what happened for a few years but he was truly abysmal, but our cup win at Ibrox was a turning point and he was very good again.

Hes an average top flight keeper whos above that when hes good and below it when hes bad, but its unfair and wrong to claim hes been awful for the majority of his career. Him and Kelly arent too much different when you weight up number of strengths v number of weaknesses. Id pick Clark but im biased.

Always felt Clark was too easily beaten tbh. I remember once under no pressure he sliced a clearance right onto the bonce of Scott McDonald who headed home. 

Unfortunately for Kelly he had a wee blip last season right as Gordon got injured and Clarke clearly didn't fancy any of the deputies. Shame he has lost some form this season as he has produced some tremendous saves over his time with us. Hopefully he can build on that performance at Ibrox and have a strong end to the season, would be nice to have a well player in Germany plus the dosh would be most welcome. 

23 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

Always felt Clark was too easily beaten tbh. I remember once under no pressure he sliced a clearance right onto the bonce of Scott McDonald who headed home. 

This will never be beaten.

giphy.gif

Tbf, I think @crazylegsjoe_mfc absolutely called it right about Kelly here:

On 13/02/2024 at 17:20, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I might be miles out and others might disagree, but my perception of Kelly is that his performances often reflect the mood in the camp.

When we are doing well (his loan spell, the run-in last season, when Alexander was shitfesting wins), you tend either to not notice him, or only hear good things about him. 

As soon as the chips are down and we are playing badly, he seems more likely then to make things worse than better and that's when all of his mistakes come out.

Goalkeeper and captain are two roles who you need to step-up during a crisis. Unfortunately, ours is the same guy and he doesn't.

Stick him in a team that's confident and playing on the front foot and he's...fine. Good, even.

He just seems to go to pieces when things aren't necessarily going our way.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hadn't really realised Dundee and Hibs both had games in hand tonight. Hibs beating County would probably go a long way towards ending our season by making Top Six and 11th both fairly unlikely.

My main wish later is County don't win...draws in both probably ideal but we can definitely take the positive out of whatever happens at Dens.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

My main wish later is County don't win...draws in both probably ideal but we can definitely take the positive out of whatever happens at Dens.

Aye tbh I think it's unlikely we overhaul both whatever happens. Nice to dream though. 

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This will never be beaten.

giphy.gif

Ive still absolutely no idea how he managed that.

14 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hadn't really realised Dundee and Hibs both had games in hand tonight. Hibs beating County would probably go a long way towards ending our season by making Top Six and 11th both fairly unlikely.

Yes and no, Dundee and Hibs both have to face the Sevco so if you mark them down as 0 points (like we used to) then, the 2 points separating us pretty much will remain regardless of tonights results (in theory). We face both of them in the run in so it really is in our own hands and we know how often we deliver when those are the stakes ..... :whistle

Taking 10 from 12 may be enough but we can only drop points against St Mirren or Aberdeen. But since we've not really had a run anything like this season it is a big ask. I suppose since Livi at Xmas we've mostly been decent minus two howlers and switching off vs Celtic.

Edited by Vietnam91

Only HT in tonight’s games but would take these scores at FT.

Watching Dundee v Aberdeen and I know I will regret this but Aberdeen have been mince. Hardly any threat at all. 1 shot off target in 45 minutes. Sadly they 100% won’t be as bad come the weekend. They may yet get 3 points but given the squad they have underperforming does not even come close to describing their current form and plight. 

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Yes and no, Dundee and Hibs both have to face the Sevco so if you mark them down as 0 points (like we used to) then, the 2 points separating us pretty much will remain regardless of tonights results (in theory). We face both of them in the run in so it really is in our own hands and we know how often we deliver when those are the stakes ..... :whistle

Taking 10 from 12 may be enough but we can only drop points against St Mirren or Aberdeen. But since we've not really had a run anything like this season it is a big ask. I suppose since Livi at Xmas we've mostly been decent minus two howlers and switching off vs Celtic.

Aye only H/T but I'm taking it all back. Europe is still on.

38 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye only H/T but I'm taking it all back. Europe is still on.

I'm currently a big fan of the Trump strategy of calling the results at half time. From rosy to a rather murky brown.