Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Now that it probably won't be us playing them in a playoff I feel safe to say that United not winning the league would be very very funny. 

Apart from the hilarity of a NEW FIRM playoff, or Utd losing to Morton in the semi final - Raith, as a team with similar/less money than us would be a welcome replacement for Livi - Utd would be outspending us as soon as they were back. 

Also - watched/enjoyed the game last night and Moult still looks like he can't really run any more just as he did when he was last with us. Not sure he would have been the answer at the top level. Also big gun to the heid was absolutely shite, which was nice.

Edited by Swello

Just now, Allroy for Prez said:

Shocker of a result today.

Typical of Motherwell to win at Ibrox only to lose at home to a team who hadn’t won in the league for 5(?) games.

Play offs very much still a possibility now. 

I appreciate emotions are high on a Saturday night but come on...we were never going to reach the top six just because we had a couple of wins, we're highly unlikely to collapse into the playoffs because a 50-50 today went against us rather than for us.

It's frustrating to drop needless points and obviously the sooner we can get the win to confirm matters the better but there's no need to go ott.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I appreciate emotions are high on a Saturday night but come on...we were never going to reach the top six just because we had a couple of wins, we're highly unlikely to collapse into the playoffs because a 50-50 today went against us rather than for us.

It's frustrating to drop needless points and obviously the sooner we can get the win to confirm matters the better but there's no need to go ott.

I’m not even remotely bothered about top 6 and I think it was completely unrealistic to think that would happen this season. 

More it’s “2 steps forward, 1 step back” by losing a very winnable game at home and unless Davor and Gent were injured, absolutely ludicrous to not start them. 

3 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

More it’s “2 steps forward, 1 step back” by losing a very winnable game at home and unless Davor and Gent were injured, absolutely ludicrous to not start them. 

The win at Ibrox effectively left us needing five or six points from nine games to tick off an awkward season and start afresh. The notion we were going to smoothly cruise to five or six wins was as unrealistic as the top six for me.

Nicholson and Spittal were great in front of Miller at Livingston. I'd have kept Davor as well but I can understand taking a risk on that one.

McGinn at lwb was mental from start to finish though, I can't even imagine the thinking behind it. Assuming fitness not an issue etc.

Didn't have a great feeling about today, before kick off, not really sure why. We've struggled against Aberdeen for whatever reason in 23/34. 

Think we'll be fine, folk need to keep the heed. 

I'm done yoyo-ing on Kettlewell. He's a fucking mug and the instant you think he knows what he's doing he starts to f**k about. Fucking c**t. 

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

McGinn at lwb was mental from start to finish though, I can't even imagine the thinking behind it. Assuming fitness not an issue etc.

Agreed. One of the things that really annoys me in football is this notion that you can't change a winning team. I know that Davor dropped out, but a back five to play Rangers at Ibrox, isn't always going to be your most appropriate back five to play a struggling Aberdeen at home. Especially when all your width comes from full backs, I'd say today's wing backs are more centre backs at this stage of their careers too.

I’ve been looking at Davor as being our lucky charm, was disappointed to see him drop out.  
I assumed the handball happened after Lennon’s strike and therefore the goal was scored via a hand, but apparently not.

Didnt see the handball at the end so I will be keen to compare the two on the telly.

It was good for the young boys to get a decent run but it didn’t look like that was the move that would turn the game.

We didn’t deserve a win, a draw would have been a more likely result.

I said before that a defeat to Rangers and a win against Aberdeen would serve us better, however a win at Ibrox was overdue and can be celebrated. 

1 minute ago, ropy said:

I’ve been looking at Davor as being our lucky charm, was disappointed to see him drop out.  
I assumed the handball happened after Lennon’s strike and therefore the goal was scored via a hand, but apparently not.

Didnt see the handball at the end so I will be keen to compare the two on the telly.

It was good for the young boys to get a decent run but it didn’t look like that was the move that would turn the game.

We didn’t deserve a win, a draw would have been a more likely result.

I said before that a defeat to Rangers and a win against Aberdeen would serve us better, however a win at Ibrox was overdue and can be celebrated. 

I didn't even see Shinnie's alleged handball so I don't feel especially hard done by - but if it was it certainly contributes to the random nature of it all.

Kettlewell's question as to why the County goal at FP was deemed ok but this one wasn't sums it up related.

I didn't watch the cup game last week, I can only assume (and hope) the formation and personnel was there to counter Aberdeen taking Killie to the cleaners. Ketts favouring playing through the centre of the pitch and wise heads at wing backs must have been a "thing". 

That was a performance and result from peak shitty run, mid November. Flat and insipid coming out the traps, dopey goal within half an hour ... sound familiar? I feel Bireth may have got something from that but not a below par Bair and Spittal. This flat first half bullshit has handicapped up all season long. Saying that, can you imagine the scenes if we're 2-0 down to the B team and score 5 in the second half? .....

Even more annoying we are responsible for almost a quarter of Aberdeen's points.

While not mathematical, we have zero momentum to gain top 6 and we really shouldn't even be in the mix if we're really honest with ourselves.

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We're in danger of getting sucked back into the playoffs IMO. 

It still needs a near complete collapse for that. We have eight winnable games to come, even a modest one win and two draws will probably be enough (if closer than we'd like). 

Easy to say if but Halliday bundles in late on everyone says today was a fair if uninspiring point and there's zero panic. 

If we lose the next three I'll reconsider my position.

10 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Any videos flying about of the two handballs ?

It brushes of Bairs upper arm, which took 5 minutes for the var people to figure out, and as such it is a blatant handball and he really should have been booked.

Shinnie moved his arm towards the ball and hit it with his arm, slightly, but a bit more than Bair. Because he hit it harder it took var 30 seconds to decide it was not a handball, mainly because I think that means we have to pay the var guy overtime.

f**k knows really.

As far as the game goes, as poor as we were, we still had the chances to give VAR at least two more goals to chop off. I thought Miller had a poor game, probably because we told him he was the midfield and hung him out to dry.

Was good to see us trust Ferrie and Wells and give them decent minutes. Hope we get to see them more.

Not bringing Moses on against Aberdeen showed a distinct lack of Cinch.

Edited by rowsdower

6 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

It brushes of Bairs upper arm, which took 5 minutes for the var people to figure out, and as such it is a blatant handball and he really should have been booked.

Shinnie moved his arm towards the ball and hit it with his arm, slightly, but a bit more than Bair. Because he hit it harder it took var 30 seconds to decide it was not a handball, mainly because I think that means we have to pay the var guy overtime.

f**k knows really.

As far as the game goes, as poor as we were, we still had the chances to give VAR at least two more goals to chop off.  I thought Miller had a poor game, probably because we told him he was the midfield and hung him out to dry.

Was good to see us trust Ferrie and Wells and give them decent minutes. Hope we get to see them more.

Not bringing Moses on against Aberdeen showed a distinct lack of Cinch.

Funny how people see things differently. I thought Miller was our best player. Class above everyone else. His first time ball that Bair made a mess of was particularly sublime. 

Just now, Londonwell said:

Funny how people see things differently. I thought Miller was our best player. Class above everyone else. His first time ball that Bair made a mess of was particularly sublime. 

Thought it was somewhere in between...he showed flashes but as brilliant as he might turn out to be, having a 17-year-old alone behind two more attacking midfielders is bold. I would have Miller along with either Davor or Halliday and Spittal ahead of them with Nicholson coming off the bench for now.