Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

That’s how I feel. I think with another pre season and how he progressing he could do even better next year. Especially if we play him with a partner up top. 

Get him a new 2 or 3 year deal on better wages, then sell him next January for 1.5m to some L1 outfit down south. 

Even if we gave him Kelly's reported wage, do you think we could keep him when his head (and that of his agent) will be turned by wages down south which are going to be in excess of that?

The issue is both the fee being talked about and the bump in salary for him feels like its universally acceptable.

I think Bair will continue to improve, but if we get offered the kind of money being suggested for someone we didn't need to pay for he'll be off, and folk shouldn't give the club grief for that. It's a sound model and a huge selling point for players to actually come here over our rivals. 

Less than a year after being told he wasn't good enough, with Motherwell's help Bair has:

- had his best scoring season by far

- got back into his national squad

- has been linked with a decent move for good money 

That's what players will be looking at if we're one of their options and why I think he'll be sold if the bids come in. 

26 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

All I've ever wanted is for us to get someone in one of those cash + a player deals that never actually happen outside of Serie A/FM. £700K + Georgie Gent, please. 

Would love us to get Gent back. £750k though. We are talking about The Bair

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

Anyone who's old enough is currently experiencing PTSD over the Stevie Kirk + Paul McGrillen + 100k for Eddie May deal of the century.

FFS. All that counselling as well…..

I know that he will more than likely get the chop from the final group that actually go to Germany, but Kelly still being involved in the Scotland squad at all seems nuts to me.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Even if we gave him Kelly's reported wage, do you think we could keep him when his head (and that of his agent) will be turned by wages down south which are going to be in excess of that?

The issue is both the fee being talked about and the bump in salary for him feels like its universally acceptable.

He seems a pretty level headed guy who might want to spend some time at a club he feels loved at rather than moving down south and getting no game time. 

Think he might like another season to build himself back after the St Johnstone nightmare. 

Edit - absolutely nothing to go on with the above just conjecture. But agree money talks. 

Edited by wellboy1991

5 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

The issue is both the fee being talked about and the bump in salary for him feels like it’s universally acceptable.

He’s on peanuts, even if we up his wages to anywhere near what Kelly is on, his agent has told him he’ll quadruple that to a mid table championship or top of League 1 team. So no matter what we offer him he’s offski. Let’s just hope we get the best deal we can !!!! 

Last summer, this forum was full of WTF when it was announced we'd signed St Johnstone dud forward Theo Bair. I think if we get a decent wedge for him, we have a ready-made replacement available for free in Nouble. Forget the Nouble of last season. Two years ago pundits were raving about him and Martindale was valuing him at £1m+. He's a better ball player than Bair; just been badly managed last year. If SK can turnaround Bair's career, then maybe he can do it with Nouble too.

Well that's what I think anyway.

I got hooked on the KVV transfer saga and have been dragged back in to the Motherwell thread with Big Theo.  I have enjoyed watching the lad and it is always great to see a player enjoying his game again.

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

He seems a pretty level headed guy who might want to spend some time at a club he feels loved at rather than moving down south and getting no game time. 

Think he might like another season to build himself back after the St Johnstone nightmare. 

Edit - absolutely nothing to go on with the above just conjecture. But agree money talks. 

It's why I mentioned a threshold earlier. There was a goals and assists tally from him that would have made an extension a possibility however he exceeded that which took it off the table for us as a realistic possibility.

4 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

So I’m assuming that the club’s latest content with O’Donnell means he’s staying?

Whatever RWB we get on loan will need someone to cover the last 20 minutes.

Writing was on the wall when he didn't get a runout on Sunday.