Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Outside looking in here and probably have missed out on lots of it but one of the main 'selling' points (re: investment/takeover) appears to be the fear of the ability to absorb losses in the event of relegation in the current model? Given that they are struggling to front the cash up front and want to do it over a period of time it would suggest they aren't exactly cash rich themselves so I'm really struggling to see any benefits of these guys ruling the roost?

In fairness, the staging of the "investment" was covered as being a choice in the *lengthy* clarification Jim McMahon posted up on the official site.

Again, massive pinch of salt given that the whole thing is heavily pass-agg. If you read the full thing (which was subsequently subject to amendments 2 days later) he's clearly fucking furious:

The investment proposal requires the Well Society to invest further sums to the club and as equity rather than an increase in its loan.

This is also why the investment is being done in instalments over 6 years.

If Erik Barmack invested all of his near £2m investment at the very beginning, then to avoid him becoming the majority shareholder the Well Society would need to almost match his investment at the same time.

The Well Society does not have the cash reserves to do this hence the agreement to stage the investment over six years.

So really, the way they're trying to spin it is that they're *actually* doing the WS a favour here.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, StAndrew7 said:

Oh yes.

Erudite, totes profesh and covers off all of the main points made on The Thread and concerns which a lot of us have. Well done!

Cheers - I will have to take your word for it. Firstly, because I cannot stand hearing recordings of my own voice. And secondly, because this whole thing has so entirely consumed the lives of those of us on the Society Board these last few months (almost entirely negatively), I quite simply have no interest in listening to a podcast about it - even if I'm on it. 😂

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness, the staging of the "investment" was covered as being a choice in the *lengthy* clarification Jim McMahon posted up on the official site.

Again, massive pinch of salt given that the whole thing is heavily pass-agg. If you read the full thing (which was subsequently subject to amendments 2 days later) he's clearly fucking furious:

So really, the way they're trying to spin it is that they're *actually* doing the WS a favour here.

Cheers, I'm probably blinded by the belief that 'Club' ownership should really be that in terms of fans so would probably vote against an external investment offer if I ever had the opportunity to however this offer seems so pissy it's not worth really debating. Fair play to those on here who have seen through it and pulled the offer/claims to pieces. 

4 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Oh yes.

Erudite, totes profesh and covers off all of the main points made on The Thread and concerns which a lot of us have. Well done!

Good coffee break listen - hit the major points without getting into the level of detail that we're accustomed to on here (which is a very good thing).

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Also, the whole £2million investment at one time thing is absolute bollocks. I'm sure Erik said on here that he and Courtney weren't able to afford that anyway?!

2 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Also, the whole £2million investment at one time thing is absolute bollocks. I'm sure Erik said on here that he and Courtney weren't able to afford that anyway?!

Not when you need the £1.65m balance earning interest for you to help pay for future repayments. @Jim McLean's Ghost spotted that particular kicker.

20 minutes ago, JayMFC said:

Cheers - I will have to take your word for it. Firstly, because I cannot stand hearing recordings of my own voice. And secondly, because this whole thing has so entirely consumed the lives of those of us on the Society Board these last few months (almost entirely negatively), I quite simply have no interest in listening to a podcast about it - even if I'm on it. 😂

@thisGRAEME

Aye good listen lads.

Took me back a fair bit where Jay was sensible and eloquent while I shouted obscenities (at my speaker). 

More of this is needed.

16 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I’ve got an interesting (and non-loaded) question for the Motherwell fans.

Do you think social media/the ability to access information online makes it easier or harder for someone to invest in or try to take over a club than it did 25 years ago.

Or, to ask the question another way, if The Well Society and social media etc are all as they are now do you think John Boyle would’ve been able to take the club over in the early SPL days.

Id say harder.

In years gone by fans would have had zero information and our current board would have been able to sell the club already before we had even noticed there was a problem.

Although, looking at it from Wild Sheeps point of view, they probably wouldnt have even know of our existence, so works both ways I guess....

Edit: just realised I passed over the John Boyle question, but others have answered that and the thread has moved on.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

30 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Oh yes.

A huge hat-tip to Jay from myself as well, not only concise and eloquent but considerably more level-headed and even-handed than I would have been in his position!

28 minutes ago, JayMFC said:

Can only echo the other posts about the pod.

It's a really good listen and as @Swello says above, hitting the key points and not getting dragged down into the granular detail is a good thing.

Hat tip to the levels of diplomacy on display as well.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

A huge hat-tip to Jay from myself as well, not only concise and eloquent but considerably more level-headed and even-handed than I would have been in his position!

I have to meet and work with politicians of all persuasions on a regular basis...

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

@thisGRAEME

Aye good listen lads.

Took me back a fair bit where Jay was sensible and eloquent while I shouted obscenities (at my speaker). 

More of this is needed.

It's odd hearing Jay speak on a podcast and not have you dip in with your thoughts on the footballing ability of Craig Samson.

23 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye - being as snarky as people are on here would have been a really bad look.

Also thought it was good to hear @JayMFC being pretty bullish about the upcoming WS strategy stuff - it's what's needed to counter some of the stuff that is thrown at the WS on a regular basis by Facebook da's.