Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

If we're going back to a 5-3-2 

We won't. SK is 100% stuck in his ways. We'll have one of the guys playing Centre Forward. Nicholson playing the Spittal role and one of the other forwards playing the other AM/WF role. Holding the 5-2-3.

3 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I'd like to see us bring another bit of attacking midfield quality in, hoping that's one of the three transfers Kettlewell is still looking at.

Think we've got decent depth across the midfield, but bar the exceptional talent of Miller, the quality Slattery has (when fit) and of course Nicholson (who I think has looked class since getting up to speed) they are all much of a muchness or projects. I don't mean that as a criticism, a lot of good pros, with experience, just would like us to bring in another player who can spark something. 

Aye, we're definitely missing the number 10/creative type that we've just about always had over the last 10+ years: Spittal, Polworth, Turnbull, Law etc.

That's what I think is difficult with this formation. It's like the role of the two behind the striker isn't quite a 10 and isn't quite a winger. 

We seem to have a lot of players who are almost a fit for it, but not many are ideal. 

I like what I've seen from Nicholson - but he doesn't feel like a 35 games a season player and with Slatts unlikely to be making an impact this side of Xmas - we definitely need another option.

Still not convinced that Moses isn’t a donkey, his first touch can travel 10 yards but he scored two excellent goals the second he made himself by winning the ball, twisting the defender and curling it into the corner of the net.

We finished with Moses and Robinson up front together.  Robinson coolly took the ball round the keeper and stroked the ball past the empty goal.

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We won't. SK is 100% stuck in his ways. We'll have one of the guys playing Centre Forward. Nicholson playing the Spittal role and one of the other forwards playing the other AM/WF role. Holding the 5-2-3.

the 5-2-3 came about because of all the injuries up front in August. Hence Oli Shaw. He persevered with it because Mika andWilkinson both were out for periods and the only stalwart was Theo who didn't see a goalscoring return till late December.

From when he took over till May 2023 he played a formation that was led by the 11 best footballers in the building which was 2 up front. I don't know why he wouldn't try to recreate that, especially off that run last season.

Miller was head and shoulders above everyone but SODs was the most influential on the park.  Each keeper played a half, no hands were used in the first half, there was a dive in the second half as a ball went past the post and Ox had to pick the ball out the net twice when he had little chance of a save (penalty and free strike at goals).

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

the 5-2-3 came about because of all the injuries up front in August. Hence Oli Shaw. He persevered with it because Mika andWilkinson both were out for periods and the only stalwart was Theo who didn't see a goalscoring return till late December.

From when he took over till May 2023 he played a formation that was led by the 11 best footballers in the building which was 2 up front. I don't know why he wouldn't try to recreate that, especially off that run last season.

He had ample opportunity last season when we had 4 strikers to go back to a 5-3-2 but he didn’t. He has spoken recently about this formation because Scotland used it and how it’s designed. 

Essentially a 5-2-3 that can change to a 3-4-3 and 5-4-1 in different ‘transitions’ or some pish like that. 

He should go back to a 2 up with a 10 behind but he won’t. I’m with Busta he is too stubborn. 

Edited by wellboy1991

Moses looks to me like a penalty box striker, the type of player we were crying out for to tap in Georgie Gent's many balls across the 6-yard box.

I'm not be overly fond of the 1 up top but if we are sticking with it a creative midfielder and a quick wingback would be nice. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

He had ample opportunity last season when we had 4 strikers to go back to a 5-3-2 but he didn’t. He has spoken recently about this formation because Scotland used it and how it’s designed. 

Essentially a 5-2-3 that can change to a 3-4-3 and 5-4-1 in different ‘transitions’ or some pish like that. 

He should go back to a 2 up with a 10 behind but he won’t. I’m with Busta he is too stubborn. 

I hope he watched the Euro's then. He's got the LC to get that our his system or make it click. Upsetting our only clean sheet in 4 was against the pub team.

If his mindset is all we had to do is tighten up the defence then it's gonna be another long season.

Edited by Vietnam91

1 minute ago, rowsdower said:

Did McDermott make any squads last season? I haven't seen his name before.

3 times, Killie at home in August, St Johnstone at home in December and Hibs away in January.

Yet to play a minute.

It's bizarre given the off-field situation but it's hard to remember a better build-up in a while. Obviously there's no guarantee that translates into a strong start but we've certainly ticked almost every box you'd want with the exception of being a little slack with injuries - perhaps not a massive red flag already but given our issues last season, perhaps light pink.

Genuinely looking forward to the competitive stuff starting.

Sorry to ruin the football chat but some more clarifications for the club, since some were wondering:

Most interesting on a potential default, and I'll quote the whole bit so I'm not leaving anything out or falsely interpreting, but bold for emphasis:

"If either party fail to make their investment payment when due then essentially the deal would collapse and require to be discontinued or the terms re-negotiated and a re-vote would be required in that circumstance. Many have questioned would a financial penalty be imposed on either party but that is not the case. It is believed that the terms are very affordable for both parties and this would therefore hopefully be very unlikely."

Meanwhile...

Barmack has provided initial proof of funds, should the deal be approved this will be required again before closing.

The club stress it has not endorsed his business plan and believes, while some is positive, some aspects of it are unworkable - essentially the same view they hold of the Society plans - but it's not fair to start engaging in a public critique of either, such as in the funding gap.

The factual error was the responsibility of Barmack alone and as such it is not for the club to correct (for the record it was pointed out that the relevant PA reporter who flagged this has made his feelings clear, though given this an objective rather than subjective point, I don't think that's particularly relevant).

Essentially their position is the best way forward is both parties to work together. Which is, my comment here, the view most people would have held initially before some began to get so pissed off with EB they want nothing to do with him. Presumably the board also feels it negotiated the best deal it could to get him agreed and his skills/contacts are worth the price we'll pay.

Interestingly the club and EB's position is they will not be fighting a public war on this. Now that's open to interpretation ofc but would certainly imply there will be no campaign as such beyond the recommendation. You can argue that's noble but when the WS obviously are going to war - given they believe the consequences are existential - it seems strange to me to just let the other side say and do what they like with no response... it gives the impression EB isn't overly bothered and the EB - given they will also know the consequences - are going out with a shrug.

Credit to David on the board for his timely and detailed answers btw, even if I don't agree with his overall position.