Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Was it a 5-4-1 right enough? Against 2nd division jobbers, at home, tell me it ain't so.

I suppose it depends if the object of the exercise was to defeat Edinburgh City or work on shape for the season, he ended up doing both.

14 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Was it a 5-4-1 right enough? Against 2nd division jobbers, at home, tell me it ain't so.

Pretty much. Wells and Paton were pushed on to support Moses

Wells struggled to get involved in the first half and the wing backs did not provide a lot of width

9 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Pretty much. Wells and Paton were pushed on to support Moses

Wells struggled to get involved in the first half and the wing backs did not provide a lot of width

Aye, I was quite disappointed by Wilson's lack of willingness to get beyond his man at times. Always seemed to get the ball wide and look to play it back in. Still has time to show more of that though.

Harry Paton isn't good enough and that's a hill I'm willing to die on. He's been tried in the 6,8 and 10 and not been impressive in any of them . For whatever reason Kettlewell still loves to shoehorn him in every week.

36 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, I was quite disappointed by Wilson's lack of willingness to get beyond his man at times. Always seemed to get the ball wide and look to play it back in. Still has time to show more of that though.

I put some of that down to his teammates not passing the ball out wide quick enough. A few times first half Paton would pass back inside. I don't think Wilson got a pass in front of him .

Georgie Gent would have had a field day 

I was impressed with their number 5

Edited by Jastons6

32 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

I put some of that down to his teammates not passing the ball out wide quick enough. A few times first half Paton would pass back inside. I don't think Wilson got a pass in front of him .

Georgie Gent would have had a field day 

I was impressed with their number 5

Aye, I think that definitely played a part but he was one on one a few times and just immediately turned back, didn't try to out-pace anyone etc.

Just now, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, I think that definitely played a part but he was one on one a few times and just immediately turned back, didn't try to out-pace anyone etc.

Hopefully it comes after a few games. I want him to get the ball out wide and high up the pitch , whip it into the box. Especially after scoring those two headers from a corner today. 

2 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Thing is as well with that is team and specific player instructions too. He may have been told to not do anything too tasty.

This will be the weakest team in the group so fair enough trying stuff, Miller who's a cert to start was on the bench after all. When the real tests start, many will not have patience if we are playing limited players in midfield if we have better individuals in the squad all to adhere to a system/formation. Not that it's going to happen, just if it does.

It's one thing having a baller in Spittal playing beside Slattery or Nicholson as a pair behind a sole striker. Very different having Harry Paton, and this isn't a pile on I have a lot more time for him than many, he's just not a player for that pocket for me.

10 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Hopefully it comes after a few games. I want him to get the ball out wide and high up the pitch , whip it into the box. Especially after scoring those two headers from a corner today. 

Aye. Worth remembering that will be a totally different situation; two centre backs aren't going to be on the end of those balls. Granted I'm quite confident Robinson/Moses/Stuparevic will get on the end of them, but perhaps not to the same levels of success!

After luxuriating in the comfy well spaced seats and executive toilets of the Hunter Stand for the friendly last week it was back to the decrepid Phil O'Donnell stand for todays game. The POD is a disgrace and shames the club with toilets whose taps leak on the floor and hand dryers that barely blow cold air. Coupled with stand steps that subside when stood on - I had to help a guy who almost fell because of this, ripped padding on seats, seats with no backs and little room between rows of seats a BIG decision needs to be made on its future. 

Decent workout today against poor opposition.

Struggled first half to break them down but looked a deliberately weakened starting 11 ro get minutes into legs.

Much stronger off the bench as a result.

Like the look of Moses, Robinson, Stuperavic. Young Wells looks to have something about him and McDermott didnt look out of place off the bench either. Big Balmer looks like he could be a decent aquisition.

Sterner tests lie ahead. But we didnt screw it up today which was the main thing.

Onwards to Montrose. A ground Ive never been to before. Looking forward to it.

8 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

After luxuriating in the comfy well spaced seats and executive toilets of the Hunter Stand for the friendly last week it was back to the decrepid Phil O'Donnell stand for todays game. The POD is a disgrace and shames the club with toilets whose taps leak on the floor and hand dryers that barely blow cold air. Coupled with stand steps that subside when stood on - I had to help a guy who almost fell because of this, ripped padding on seats, seats with no backs and little room between rows of seats a BIG decision needs to be made on its future. 

Everything ok?

13 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

Aye fine. Shouldn't have went to the Hunter stand and seen how much money has been spent there. Made me jealous

Having only ever sat in the John Hunter I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or not 

17 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Having only ever sat in the John Hunter I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or not 

Sadly I am not. I sat in the East Stand for years but on reaching 60 found I could move to the Main Stand for approx the same price as a concession

3 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I'm not sold on Strupevic at all.

Perhaps accurate. But then how many of us were sold on Bair this time last year ? 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Wellwatcher said:

You're going to have to remind me as one of the old guys (who sits in the Cooper), is the Hunter Stand the East and the O'Donnell the Main. Surely the Main isn't in worse condition than the East?