Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

You're going to have to remind me as one of the old guys (who sits in the Cooper), is the Hunter Stand the East and the O'Donnell the Main. Surely the Main isn't in worse condition than the East?

You are correct and the POD (Main) is in terrible condition. When I asked Dickie at the Well Society AGM about the POD he said they intended to do a lot of improvements during the close season - obviously they didn't.

The handful of away fans were sitting in the top tier of the Tommy McClean today. Is this likely to be the norm going forward? I was expecting to see them in the corner of the main stand.

17 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

The handful of away fans were sitting in the top tier of the Tommy McClean today. Is this likely to be the norm going forward? I was expecting to see them in the corner of the main stand.

As ridiculous as this sounds; the City "ultras" have been getting in bother so I assume they lashed them up there to remove any issue.

25 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Put there because of the trouble their little band of merry men(ultras) caused in a friendly against Linlithgow Rose causing the game to be abandoned.

Edited by santheman

I couldn't make the game today, but I saw the last hour on TV. Edinburgh City looked like they only wanted to keep the score down. There was one point they had a decent chance of a good counter attack and they actively chose not to take it.

When a lower league team comes and lines the park, as they're perfectly entitled to do so, to come away with 3-0 is a case of job done. No reason to get too high or too low about it and it's definitely not reason to be getting bent out of shape over how a substitute played for 16 minutes.

15 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

As ridiculous as this sounds; the City "ultras" have been getting in bother so I assume they lashed them up there to remove any issue.

9 minutes ago, santheman said:

Put there because of the trouble their little band of merry men(ultras) caused in a friendly against Linlithgow Rose causing the game to be abandoned.

Livi fans were put up there last week and we are selling tickets for the upper tier to Thistle fans next week. I hope we don't end up doing this all the time the way Killie do.

13 minutes ago, santheman said:

It was Broxburn the little fannies caused trouble at. 

The ones that turned up today are 10-12 years old. When I was 10-12 if I caused trouble I'd have got a boot up the khyber for my trouble. This lot had 7 of Midlothian's finest polis watching them at Dalkeith Thistle on Wednesday.. 

Somehow I suspect it might be past their bedtime when we play Clyde on Wednesday.. 

33 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Livi fans were put up there last week and we are selling tickets for the upper tier to Thistle fans next week. I hope we don't end up doing this all the time the way Killie do.

I thought it looked like some of the seats down the front were damaged, second block from the Sailor Hunter stand. Where they put their flags. Wonder if that's why as well?

2 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Livi fans had pyro at the last game of the season in the main so I think they shunted them there on the off chance of a repeat

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

You're going to have to remind me as one of the old guys (who sits in the Cooper), is the Hunter Stand the East and the O'Donnell the Main. Surely the Main isn't in worse condition than the East?

Conditions will alter over time and if we've just spent a wad on the East it'll no doubt be in better nick at the minute. The issue with the POD - I believe from various AGM comments over the years - is that it needs more than just a lick of paint and some new seats to fix. It's simply something from a different era with all the legacy problems that brings if you don't continually modernise or spend a tonne on periodic upgrades.

The point of a difficult decision is absolutely true. An interesting hypothetical is what could we replace it with... normally when you build a stand, the starting point for everything is capacity but we don't especially need tonnes of seats. So while there's certain facilities we absolutely must have and we obviously need some capacity, essentially we're only limited by our imagination in terms of what might supply revenue from that space.

All that, however, has to be weighed up against the seeming inevitability of a move to Ravenscraig at some point.

11 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The problem is Kettlewell is pushing him up the park and he doesn't have the ability or creativity to play in that role.

Aye, I don't think many people actually hate Paton, he's fine as a squad player as an 8, it's SK's near insistence on fitting him in somehow that winds people up (me at least). When he's then put into roles he's not suited for - more often towards a 10 but also when he's sitting deeper on occasion - he not surprisingly plays poorly and comments are made.

I thought we were fine yesterday, the second half was definitely better than the first. While I’m no massive Paton fan, I don’t think he was helped yesterday by the role he was playing in - being allowed to kind of roam around as if he’s Iniesta. Like he can do a job, but it seemed as if Kettlewell wanted him to control the game - which is more than a bit of an ask. 

Edited by Ceiling Granny

I was always the second last section in the East stand but have moved to the Main stand in recent years as the view is better and I can actually hear my pals rather than the drum. I’ve just gotten older I guess. 

Despite that, I like the idea of Ayr United’s new stand with standing down the bottom tier and a good seated view on the top tier. That would be the dream when the Main inevitably fails its safety certificate for the final time. 

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Despite that, I like the idea of Ayr United’s new stand with standing down the bottom tier and a good seated view on the top tier. That would be the dream when the Main inevitably fails its safety certificate for the final time. 

Bit like the old enclosure days.

The main stand was 34 years old when I started going to games (1996) and I remember thinking it seemed like the old, old stand. It's kinda mad to think the Cooper and Away stand are creeping towards the same age (31 / 29-ish) now.

How quickly they grow up.