Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

The Balmer one is weird, up until yesterday I kind of assumed he was a shoe in, and the rest were playing for places. 

Yesterday should have been as close to the first 11 v Ross County as possible. 

Balmer has sat on the bench ever since his 90 minutes v Edinburgh city, which can't be good for sharpness going into next week.

I fear we will line up with largely the same defence as we did yesterday, Seddon for Wilson probably, but the rest will stay the same. 

The only rational explanation I can think of is that both him and McGinn are carrying knocks and we didn't want to risk either of them before the league starts. That or Casey's got the same scuddies as Paton.

On the latter, I nodded along when reading @crazylegsjoe's point about him. As infuriating as he is with decision making in the final third, we absolutely missed his energy yesterday going forward. Halliday just isn't the answer in there, other than for the last 15/20 mins to see out a game.

Shoe horning Miller into a position he's not natural in (yet, anyway) really demonstrated how much we missed his passing range beside Davor, who just doesn't have that in his locker. 

I've seen a few people critical of Davor over on SO/Twitter etc. He isn't a Pirlo esque anchor and never will be. He does, however, win the ball back well and then gives it to others to distribute. It's not his fault those around him are all fucking useless at passing or breaking out down the wings.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

At no point since he signed have I been convinced with Blaney (and he could easily have been red carded yesterday) - I have been assuming that this season when everyone is fit, he takes Mugabe's role in the squad. If he is a back up centre half, then I'm completely fine with it, if he's starting, a lot less so.

Err...

28 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I was in the claret and amber club till I was about 20! 😂 

Wait, there's no Claret and Amber club any more? What the hell have I been paying subs for all these years?

Oh right, Well Society...

51 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I've seen a few people critical of Davor over on SO/Twitter etc. He isn't a Pirlo esque anchor and never will be. He does, however, win the ball back well and then gives it to others to distribute. It's not his fault those around him are all fucking useless at passing or breaking out down the wings.

I've noticed this anaw in a few places. I think it's just he's that Dm role that goes unnoticed 90% of the time. I am sure folk are making things up about him too.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I've noticed this anaw in a few places. I think it's just he's that Dm role that goes unnoticed 90% of the time. I am sure folk are making things up about him too.

Aye there's definitely "narrative adjustments" being made to suit the fact some people don't like/rate him. That's totally fine, but at least attempt to understand the role he's being asked to play, rather than just calling him shite because he's not playing the role you want him to play.

He's not a solid/strong defensive midfielder in the form of an Andy Rose or anything, but he'll come in and double up on someone, win the ball and turn out into space with it. He's useful and I get why he plays. He's not an attacking/box to box type (and never will be) and I think there's unrealistic expectations being placed on him by some.

I argued that when he came into the team more regularly last October-ish, Spittal was freed up to go and play more creatively and give him the outlet he was looking for, albeit the defence behind him was a disaster most of the time which didn't help.

Edit: I wonder if @RandomGuy. has some stats/information on his defensive ability/ball winning etc? Would be interesting to see him compared with other, similar players.

Edited by StAndrew7

Just now, StAndrew7 said:

Aye there's definitely "narrative adjustments" being made to suit the fact some people don't like/rate him. That's totally fine, but at least attempt to understand the role he's being asked to play, rather than just calling him shite because he's not playing the role you want him to play.

100%. This tracks when it comes to a lot of takes from erm...certain sections of our fanbase.

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100%. This tracks when it comes to a lot of takes from erm...certain sections of our fanbase.

Speaking of which, the guy near us shouting for the team to "fucking press the ball" while we were in possession yesterday was a take and a half. 

Sections of the support are exhausting and we've no even started the league season yet. 

I did laugh yesterday in the Sailor Hunter when at one point, clearly absolutely exasperated with Andy Halliday, one guy bellowed out as he was about to take a shot “awwww f**k ME” 😂

Will be interested to see what the line up is on Saturday vs what it is end of August.

Kettlewell, in his Radio Scotland pre-match, made a general point about getting new players comfortable with their surroundings, used to Scottish football and the theory being it would suit them us and better in the long run to essentially bleed them in (paraphrasing).

He talks a lot (a lot) but Kettlewell usually does only mention things in interviews when he wants to get a point across rather than just to pay lip service. I very much get the feeling that Kettlewell has used the league cup group stages as much as pre-season as we've seen many managers do and just isn't saying as much publicly.

It kind of plays out that way when you look at what's happened....he's trusted the people he knows and who know the Scottish game I think vs not rating the new arrrivals. I would not be surprised if he absolutely doesn't see some of these players being in the first team as first picks every week (e.g. Wilson, Blaney, Halliday, SOD)

GK: Hegyi and Oxborough getting it game about seems like a decent plan to give him a choice to make for how we start the league campaign. 

DF: Balmer, Kaleta, Seddon (injury playing it's part) we've not seen much but Gordon in and playing 3 games on the trot. 

MF: Injuries obviously to play here so he didn't have much choice but to play who we already had. 

FW: Ebiye and Robinson preferred to begin with in front of The Serb or Ferrie

Edited by eliphas

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I think the worse we’re playing the more the middle of the road type players take pelters. Its like they don’t want to have a go at the “guid guys” and it’s no worth their while moaning at the “shite guys”, leaving the no bad players to focus on. 

Also, and I am guilty of this, if your pal/family member/annoying boy 3 seats along thinks someone is good and you think they’re rotten (or vice versa) there’s no meeting halfway - you need to double down 😂.  And there’s not the same polarisation with genuinely good or bad players. 

4 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

Edit: I wonder if @RandomGuy. has some stats/information on his defensive ability/ball winning etc? Would be interesting to see him compared with other, similar players.

Aye should do, just give me a few hours to spell his surname right.