Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Got to ask if you need a pure ball winner when playing with 3 centre backs and defensive minded wingbacks

Got to ask Kettlewell that one. Maybe do that tonight if you're there or know someone who is?

The system isn't Davor's fault, nor is the role he's being asked to play, or the options he has to pass to around him.

33 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

BBC Scotland website reporting it now too. As others say though, shite state of affairs for Thistle that the officials won't be held to account in the same way that a team would for such an error, but a replay will not happen. Token apology and move on, it's the SFA way.

More lazy journalism. I think STV has similar click-bait. 

I just hope the SFA sortout their procedures and train their officials to prevent any further incidents.

I'll not hold my breath though.

I understand Doolan being angry as he was prevented from making his desired change but you cannot prove that change would have made any difference whatsoever to the result.

I have not been Davor's biggest fan but I actually thought he was the best midfielder by some distance yesterday.  Not hard maybe.

I think the issue is that when we lack any creativity in midfield it is easy to be critical.  He has bundles of energy and is quite a good disruptor.  That is perfectly fine when others can step up like Miller and say Sam Nicholson.  

A big issue this League cup campaign is linking midfield and the forwards.  It is slow and pedestrian and only when it has been worked down the wings has it yielded results bar maybe the Paton set up and Moses goal v Clyde.

I wonder if anyone on here was at the Kettlewell "Meet the Manager" evening tonight ? I would love to know how he addressed the team selection / performance yesterday and squad status ahead of the weekend. Are we still looking to add one or two more or is that it etc etc

I'm a bit 'meh' on Davor, do I think we could do better? Yes. Do I think he's the worst we could do? Absolutely not.

I take both points that he wins the ball back a lot, in fact he's probably the best at it out of our current midfield (that's hardly difficult) but I'd be lying if I didn't say that his lack of technical ability didn't drive me up mad at times and I do think that in possession he holds us back.

53 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Good event at Fir Park. Save for a few awkward moments from some usual suspects but well handled by @thisGRAEME

Any talking points or info from tonight. Was it confirmed if there would be anyway for those that missed it to catch up on it. 

I remember going to one with McCall in Jack Daniels a few years ago and really enjoyed the insight into his ideas. 

Just now, Busta Nut said:

What's this mean?

Just some folk asking daft questions that had been pretty much already covered but were raking over it and over it with no real point. A roundabout discussion about why we don’t play wingers, why we don’t score goals and why the club was valued at what it was to a guy who had little to no involvement in said valuation. 

Re Davor. I quite like him. He has lots of energy and does a lot of the dirty work that goes un-noticed or is under valued / appreciated.

I think if we played a back 4 and his job was to just sit and shield the centre backs and break up play, he would look a lot better as we would have room for an extra midfielder or forward that would give him more options and allow us to be more creative.

There is still room for him in this system, but without the dynamic wing backs we really are toothless.

Hopefully once Kaleta / Seddon are up to speed and we get Stama into the team we will look like a more effective unit. Not to mention any of our injured midfielders.

13 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Just some folk asking daft questions that had been pretty much already covered but were raking over it and over it with no real point. A roundabout discussion about why we don’t play wingers, why we don’t score goals and why the club was valued at what it was to a guy who had little to no involvement in said valuation. 

Considering we scored the third most goals last season that's some take. Wow.

16 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

He backs himself over his record and his tactics and system

16 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

tactics and system.

fantastic.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

fantastic.

Cmon James, what would you suggest to make us, better.???

Just now, Yabba is a Turd said:

Cmon James, what would you suggest to make us, better.???

Not my job to suggest anything. I go along to support

13 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

@thisGRAEME and Speedie trying to move things along to claims that yesterday was the worst performance witnessed in 85 years was fun.

There was a moment where I honestly thought he was going to have to get huckled.

Him trying to get an "am I right?" reaction from the audience was probably the point that my cringe peaked.

the-office-steve-carell.gif

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

There was a moment where I honestly thought he was going to have to get huckled.

Him trying to get an "am I right?" reaction from the audience was probably the point that my cringe peaked.

In fairness to the auld yin, he had tanned at least one large whisky before it kicked off. He had helped himself to the jug of water on the stage to dilute it to his liking….

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Guy behind me "McGhee, Pittodrie, 7-2"

Edited by Vietnam91