Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Didnt think there was much in the first half football wise, but we had 2 very good chances to their zero.

Second half we were the better team and County dug in for their point.

Thought we were pretty solid defensively and we resteicted County to one Jordan White header and a free kick which Oxborough saved well.

Its clear our biggest problems are in midfield and the disconnect between them and the forwards was very apparent.

Think we will have to remain patient until we get some players back fit or more in the door.

That said we created more than enough chances to win the game and really should have done so.

Thought SOD and Wilson both had decent games, despite neither having the real pace needed to perform the role effectively.

Really impressed with Liam Gordon. He appears to be the centre half we have been looking for.

3 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Really impressed with Liam Gordon. He appears to be the centre half we have been looking for.

maxresdefault(4).thumb.jpg.d3fa679c9c60985e2195d43f20872c6d.jpg

Was in the main stand today, hospitality (Thank you WS) Those wooden chairs are not fit for a person of my somewhat, heavy stature. I’ll be feeling that worse tomorrow than the hangover I’m inevitably going to have. Also County fans letting off a flare in a wooden stand, not wise

I thought that today was more absorbing than last week.  As harem scarum the defence was at times, like last week I never felt we were going to concede.

Devastated that Wilson’s effort will not be the goal of the season it deserved to be.

If balls were passed in front of our full backs then they could start their momentum forward.  Having to turn back for the pass inspires another backward pass.

Free kicks outside the box should be rolled back to Blaney to try a 25 yard thunderblaster, like Van der Gaag.

Work on these for next week.

Realised today that through a mixture of Covid / getting married / changing jobs / moving / having a child, this was the first game I've physically been to since a 2-1 defeat to Hamilton Accies on 29th December 2019!

Anyway, this clip seems very apt... 

Gordon was MOTM for me. Very assured. 
Wilson grew into the game and played fairly well. 
I thought Robinson gave the County centre half a hard time. Won the ball off him and pestered him into mistakes throughout. Our goal threat (or at least general forward play) dropped off when he went off. Just looks destined not to score. 

As I, and plenty others have said, we desperately need a creative midfielder to pick out runs from wingbacks. And probably a change of wingbacks, although that would be a bit harsh on Wilson today. 

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Didnt think there was much in the first half football wise, but we had 2 very good chances to their zero.

Second half we were the better team and County dug in for their point.

Thought we were pretty solid defensively and we resteicted County to one Jordan White header and a free kick which Oxborough saved well.

Its clear our biggest problems are in midfield and the disconnect between them and the forwards was very apparent.

Think we will have to remain patient until we get some players back fit or more in the door.

That said we created more than enough chances to win the game and really should have done so.

Thought SOD and Wilson both had decent games, despite neither having the real pace needed to perform the role effectively.

All of that for me. 

Thankfully, I've not sat through any league cup group game live, but I did see most of them so I kind of knew what to expect. 

Thought we were up a level energy and pace of the game wise compared to them. Not enough quality middle to front but didn't expect it really. But hopefully that will come. 

Bit annoying we find ourselves that way on Day 1 of the league season is all I'll say for now.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

If balls were passed in front of our full backs then they could start their momentum forward.  Having to turn back for the pass inspires another backward pass.

It was a problem in the league cup games as well. Basics.

When I saw the line up was largely the same as v Partick I really was worried. I mean sign a million players and play 3 of them. It is genuinely baffling. Some have injuries, some are behind fitness wise but this sign them up early and it will benefit us is proving to be a false dawn.

All that said I was actually OK with how we played and how the game panned out. I thought the defence was largely solid and Ox again made me wonder how he never got any real game time last season. 1 million times more assured with cross balls than midget Kelly. I saw the comments above about Wilson. Found that baffling because I thought he had a decent game.

We will probably end up with McGinn, Balmer and Seddon in the team but the defence looked so much better already. 

Our problems seemed to have shifted to midfield and up front. Miller has not started that well and as 17 year old not that surprising but if he is to yield us a record transfer fee he will need to get sorted sooner rather than later. Davor and Halliday were OK but something is missing.

Up front Moses was a busy body and Robinson looks like he will struggle to convert. Apostolos came on and did not have the Biereth impact sadly but far too early to tell how it will turn out. I still think he will prove to be a fantastic signing. 

A 0-0 draw at home is hardly inspiring. But I am more upbeat than I was before 3pm. If nothing else County don’t look up to much and that is as important as the scoreline today. 

Fair play to Kettlewell I went from thinking last season that we weren't too bad up front, or in midfield but absolutely shite defensively and goalkeeper wise, to the exact opposite this season... bravo 👏🏼 👏🏼 

I was seduced by the away strip today.  Due to my broad shoulders (?) I wear an L when going about my business,, I have tended to favour the XL in the sporting top, mainly for fives.  With trepidation I approached the counter clutching the XXL I had selected and even then the woman asked if I had tried it on as she doubted the fit.

Do we have 3-5XLs amongst us and is there a club I can join?

I am warming to Gordon, never stops talking and seemingly demands high standards. Hoping he doesn't have a Butcher fall off in form.

The free kick we got in the 4th minute of injury time amplified that and how many of the rest of the team need a kick up their arse. He got the ball and turned to Ox and hairdriered him to get him to advance and take it, turned round and waved everyone up the park. To many appear to be complacent in that group.

Lennon didn't have his best first half but did step up it in the second. I'd say the same for Wilson too.

What is concerning is the amount of awful crosses, their keeper repeatedly just cherry picked them in the six yard box. The only memorable and tasty one was SOD putting the daisy cutter to just behind the penalty spot.

The amount of floaty, hit and hopes amplified there was no look up before crossing. Many were culpable but Halliday stands out as a repeat offender.

Edited by Vietnam91

Is it just me or have sections of the fanbase become really negative in recent years? (Not directed towards this forum on the whole by the way.) 

Level of booing, folk shouting insults at their own players seems to have increased and just general atmosphere seems a bit negative at the moment. 

Said after the Thistle game that folk were entitled to feel annoyed by it, that there has to be a balance between "happy clappy" and "boo boy" at times, just doesn't feel like there is much balance. 

Booing a weakened team off after an okay performance, having kept a clean sheet, after one game of 38 seems a bit OTT and not at all helpful to me. 

While we're absolutely far from perfect, I think we're only a couple of players away from being decent. Folk need to chill out a bit. 

Edited by MurrayWell

15 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Halliday stands out as a repeat offender.

Absolute imposter of a footballer waste of a jersey, hid at every opportunity, lazy and disinterested.

Hoped a decent preseason would mean we would see what he was all about. If that is as good as it gets he can GTF