Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

In his first 6 months with us, albeit at a lower level, he was absolutely fantastic for us. Movement, speed, energy, strength - he had it all. He came back on loan after initially being recalled and didn't look as good, but formed a fantastic partnership with Jakubiak and he was one of the main reasons we got promoted.

He then just seemed to not be the same player under Docherty. He wasn't really given a chance in his natural role, but looked pretty uninterested at RW and just slipped down the pecking order and when he did get a chance it was usually in a position he wasn't familiar with and he looked completely bereft of confidence.

Wanted us to keep him as there's definitely a quality player in there, but maybe starting to not live up to his promise which would be disappointing as I thought there was a fantastic prospect.

Others have touched on it but while you can see why we've picked him up - he's got good feet, the ball sticks with him and there's a lot to like it's been a bit of a tough run for him. We've not been creating that much (for a number of reasons) and the recent starting line-up has had Robinson playing as a #9 with Ewan Wilson (a LWB) and Lennon Miller (naturally a #6 or an #8) as the two #10s off him.

In a way he probably hasn't been helped by what has been an absolutely chaotic start to the season for us. We've seen injuries or fitness issues to Stuparević, Nicholson, Paton, Stamatelopolous, Callachan and Slattery all of whom would reasonably be expected to be either playing alongside Robinson or as the two #10s when we go 3421.

That's Tony Watt and Tawanda Maswanhise just been thrown into the mix now as well.

It's meant that he's not really had an opportunity to build up any relationships or partnerships on the park. Even more so when our shape relies so much on wing backs and we've had Seddon out injured and Kaleta being eased into the XI.

Respectfully though, in terms of Robinson's potential he's stepping into a lineage that includes; Bair, Biereth, Van Veen, Cole, Moult, Sutton, Higdon, Porter et al which is a pretty high bar so I think it's fair enough that powder is being kept dry in terms of what he is or what he could be.

At the moment there's every chance he could just as easily end up being Alex Fisher as he could Theo Bair.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Once we brought on Tony Watt and Maswanhise we looked so much better. The latter was great fun to watch and had me entertained by a player for the first time in a long time. 

I've said before that every 25 man squad should have one (and only one) player that can cause a bit of chaos. Watching the wee man (nickname TBC) yesterday was giving me strong Gboly vibes, which is excellent. He won't work in every situation and he won't work at all some weeks like all these type of players but I'm really glad we've signed someone like that as there will be normal league games where teams will be sitting in against us and we need something...

I thought Watt was in his shell a wee bit - I didn't see a single piece of shithousery - but he showed a couple of flashes that give me a bit of hope...

1 hour ago, witchfindergeneral said:

In an ideal world where everyone miraculously recovers from their injuries and everyone is match fit, how does Kettlewell pick his line up? 

Oxborough

SOD, McGinn, Gordon, Casey, Seddon

Miller,  Zdravkovski, Slattery

Stamatelopoulos, Watt

Bench: Hegyi, Kaleta, Balmer, Wilson, Paton, Halliday, Stuparevic, Moses, Robinson?

This would leave out: Blaney, Koutroumbis, Callachan, Sparrow, Nicholson & Maswanhise.

You'd like to think the likes of Ferrie, Ross etc will get loans but at this rate we may need to loan out some senior guys as well

Heygi may yet challenge Ox for No1 but as it stands Ox has done reasonably well.

I think Ketts did state that Koutroumbis was signed as a starter. Now given we have seen nowt of him that may not happen, but I suspect he will take SODs place in time.  Actually quite impressed with Kaleta each time he has come on.  What a UNIT ! So maybe a twist in the tale at RB.

I still see Balmer forming part of our strongest line up.  Why it has not happened yet ? We did pay money for him and unless he is worse than Blaney / Casey then he will probably work his way into the 1st team.

Then we would be absolutely spoiled in midfield. Unless he is sold Miller will most probably start. Also would have Slattery in their based on past form.  Still not convinced Davor is a starter when everyone is fit.

Would expect Watt and Stama to start when fit and available.  We would go from having few options to too many.  Then again it is unlikely we wont have at least 3 or 4 out continuously through the season.

I thought yesterday was encouraging on a number of fronts.

Defensively we look so much more solid. Gordon is a great organiser and an absolute unit. Normally Vassell would just bully our defence, but by the end it was him crying to the referee which was great to see. Another clean sheet, and I dont see us losing anywhere near as many goals this season.

SOD seems to be flourishing in his leadership role and is now fulfilling the potential we thought we were getting when he first signed. Still not the quickest for a RWB but he takes up some very good advanced positions in space if his team mates would get their heads up and pick him out.

Seddon and Kaleta look useful additions.

Wilson did well in an unatural position. He is a decent footballer for a defender, and I would be disappointed if we farmed him out on loan. He looks perfectly serviceable as a back up LWB /utility player.

Davor and Halliday together dont really work. We were much better when Miller dropped back in there. The boy is class and can slow the game down or speed it up at the drop of a hat.

The introduction of Watt And Maswanhise fairly livened up our attacking options. Watt showed he still has the nous to get us up the park and bring others into play, albeit he still looked a bit short of fitness.

Tawanda was a breath of fresh air. Have we seen a player go past opponents at Fir Park so easily since Chris Humphrey was a thing?

Killie are a tough nut to crack and until the final period of extra time we limited them to virtually no chances. Regardless of their starting 11 or the sending off thats not bad going.

Once we get some of our injured players back, we have the makings of a more than decent squad.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

4 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I thought yesterday was encouraging on a number of fronts.

Defensively we look so much more solid. Gordon is a great organiser and an absolute unit. Normally Vassell would just bully our defence, but by the end it was him crying to the referee which was great to see. Another clean sheet, and I dont see us losing anywhere near as many goals this season.

Gordon and someone - can't remember if it was McGinn or Casey - fairly roughed Vassell up yesterday and he did not like it, at one point he was basically ragdolled by both them one after the other and it resulted in him going down and needing some treatment. 

Was refreshing to see us standing up to a player like that after so many years of just being bullied.

Balmer not starting is bizarre but you've no idea what's going on behind the scenes ... Davor and Gent lasy year took a long time to work their way in.

I'd keep Wilson as back-up lwb rather than spending more money and once the midfield injury situation begins to ease, it might mean loaning Wells out for games - along with Ferrie and Ross - is a better solution than him sitting in the stand.

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

So, did Killie sneak on an extra one?

"Only up to five nominated substitutes for any one Club/club may Play in a Match, except in the event that Extra Time is played in any Match, where in such case a Club shall be permitted to use an additional substitute, a sixth in total, during such period of Extra Time."

Allowed one extra sub for a concussion injury.

FWIW I'd be absolutely fine with Wilson as an option too, I suppose the argument for loaning him out is he continues to get full 90 minutes and comes back a better player for us, rather than being around in case we need him and getting some minutes here and there once others are fit again. 

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Balmer not starting is bizarre but you've no idea what's going on behind the scenes ... Davor and Gent lasy year took a long time to work their way in.

I'd keep Wilson as back-up lwb rather than spending more money and once the midfield injury situation begins to ease, it might mean loaning Wells out for games - along with Ferrie and Ross - is a better solution than him sitting in the stand.

Re Balmer, my only guess is that he has fallen foul of our defensive record so far?

1 minute ago, Neil86 said:

Re Balmer, my only guess is that he has fallen foul of our defensive record so far?

Certainly not impossible... the back three is all about the unit and if you stumble into something that works, you need to be very careful about breaking it up even if you think you'll get an individual upgrade.

If that's the case, it still seems harsh he got a chance v Edinburgh and then basically left out though.

11 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I think its probably just a matter of managing the sqaud appropriately.

We paid a fee for him, so youd think he is gonna figure eventually.

Blaney getting injured allowed McGinn to step straight back in without ruffling any feathers and Casey for me would be the one under threat now, but he was very good yesterday.

Would imagine it will be cameo appearances from the bench until the opportunity arises.

Amazing to have that level of cover though if something were to happen to Gordon.

Night and day from last season.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

35 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Certainly not impossible... the back three is all about the unit and if you stumble into something that works, you need to be very careful about breaking it up even if you think you'll get an individual upgrade.

If that's the case, it still seems harsh he got a chance v Edinburgh and then basically left out though.

I'm not saying that this would be a reason but I noticed on his IG that he was away at a wedding (presumably his brother's and from the comments he was best man) during the LC group. It's pinned on his profile 19th July 2024 - so the day before the Clyde game.

I'm not suggesting anything inappropriate but I wonder if he got a bit of time off and dropped to the bench because of it (he was on the bench as a sub for the game on the 20th) and the unit has broadly been fine since?

Edited by capt_oats