Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

23 minutes ago, David1979 said:

Not at all. I've mentioned this to a few people. However, not every young player who comes through the ranks and performs well needs to be or will be sold for seven figures.

Personally, I believe he’s a very good player, but his specific attributes aren't particularly rare down south. Players of his calibre are quite common in the Championship and League One, I think.

That said, him signing a new contract and establishing himself as a solid first-team player for Motherwell is definitely a positive development, and he could become one of the key players we build our team around each summer.

Plus we've removed the reality of getting countless loans to fill our wingback slots going back years (aware Kaleta is biding his time on the other wing). Staying injury free while developing offers so much to our defensive continuity, it really can't be understated. Glad we've removed wingbacks being recalled in January and diminished developing other teams players as things we have to deal with.

McGinn getting injured isn't anything as panic inducing or despairing as some would have angled for if it happened in early August. We've got strength in depth now which has been demonstrated. We're also going to need to find a new vice captain as SOD will be promoted to the full role due to McGinn's absence. Anyone going to argue that it shouldn't be Gordon?

Fully expect Balmer to go to his preferred position and if we lose Gordon or Balmer for any reason, SOD will slip in to the RCB and up for Kaleta and Koutroumbis to vie for the wingback. Casey has a deputy in Blaney, lovely guy but not convinced he's always switched on.

Would be nice to see some more midfielders return to contention as while we're not threadbare, there's not the same number of options with Sparrow unless we perhaps get Tony to sit deeper. At Hampden in August, Seddon was used at LWB and Wilson ahead of him in midfield so that's a thing too.

Dundee are all over the place defensively so it's important to try and blitz them early on rather than our less frequent (but still a thing) sluggish starts. Hope jetlag isn't a factor for a few guys in particular.

Edited by Vietnam91

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

I’m not soo sure tbh. The Edinburgh City game that he played his passing from the back was crisp, sharp and accurate. He looked more than capable on the ball. So don’t think that will be an issue. 

Yeah, I hope so too, though that was basically a training match so I dunno how representative it is...my first reaction to be concerned based on ER was overly harsh.

27 minutes ago, David1979 said:

Personally, I believe he’s a very good player, but his specific attributes aren't particularly rare down south. Players of his calibre are quite common in the Championship and League One, I think.

That said, him signing a new contract and establishing himself as a solid first-team player for Motherwell is definitely a positive development, and he could become one of the key players we build our team around each summer.

We've comment before that England is currently a wing-back production factory...with that being the case, for someone to actually pay substantial money for him he'll need to be some player.

But as you say, even if he's not (and I certainly wouldn't write off the possibility after a dozen games, he's certainly had moments of quality) it's far from the end of the world to have that position locked down by 'one of our own' for years and then pocket whatever compensation if he leaves when ooc.

I think the Casey, Gordon, Balmer back three is the shout for the foreseeable. The back up to that is bringing in Blaney or moving SODs in one. Both of which aren't bad options.

My concern is last season our form hit that dip when McGinn was injured (iirc) and it may be the case we miss him more than you'd think.

On Ewan Wilson, great but if business by the club. If he ends up being another Stevie Hammell then that's fantastic. Just don't let him manage...

34 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Would be nice to see some more midfielders return to contention as while we're not threadbare, there's not the same number of options with Sparrow unless we perhaps get Tony to sit deeper. At Hampden in August, Seddon was used at LWB and Wilson ahead of him in midfield so that's a thing too.

Yeah, our lack of midfielders on the bench limits our options for changing things but it's easy to forget (and I regularly do with at least one of them) that we've still got Callachan, Nicholson, Paton and Slattery to come back.

14 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Yeah, our lack of midfielders on the bench limits our options for changing things but it's easy to forget (and I regularly do with at least one of them) that we've still got Callachan, Nicholson, Paton and Slattery to come back.

Given Callachan is now broadcasting his planned career post fitba (barbering with Ali Crawford it would appear), I'm not that convinced we'll ever see him play for us again.

I think Koutroumbis can play as a DM as well, although obviously he's been signed as a wing back.

36 minutes ago, Feet in the Wishing Well said:

My concern is last season our form hit that dip when McGinn was injured (iirc) and it may be the case we miss him more than you'd think.

If we still had the same defence as last year and hadn't signed Gordon and Balmer, I'd probably agree with you. However, we've already played a fair number of games without McGinn and defended well. Gordon definitely marshals things in his absence. I agree that we'll miss him but I think we can cope far better than we would have last year.

Edited by StAndrew7

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Aye but Lennon Miller will be in the squad by then!

££££££££££££££££££££££££££

I would wait until clarke gets the bullet before Miller is involved with Scotland.

Edited by well again
Grammar

We'll miss McGinn's influence no doubt and losing your captain to injury in the run up to a semi final is far from ideal, but between Gordon's organisation and marshaling, Casey coming back in and what we've seen from Balmer so far, I think we'll be fine at the back.

Can only agree with everyone else re. Wilson. Great business to get him tied down. He's looking more assured and confident with each passing week and thoroughly deserving of his continued run in the side, and having the stability of an extended deal behind him will do him the world of good too to kick on further.

That’s a big blow losing McGinn, he’s one of our best players. Defensively, as others have mentioned, we’ll be broadly fine, we’ve good options to come in there.

I think McGinn’s quite influential in transition and going forward though so will be curious to see how that goes going forward. He’s a deceptively skilful player and reads the play so well.

Shame for him on a personal note as well. Don’t know how many more chances he’ll have to lead a team out at Hampden at his age.

2 hours ago, well again said:

I would wait until clarke gets the bullet before Miller is involved with Scotland.

Clarke won't get the bullet so It'd be daft to hang about if the opportunity came about.

This spate of extensions definitely gives the squad a bit of a different complexion especially with our new thing of tagging a +1 option on deals.

• Steve Seddon (+1)
  • Dan Casey
  • Paul McGinn (+1)
  • Shane Blaney
  • Davor Zdravkovski
  • Callum Slattery (+1)
  • Andy Halliday
  • Harry Paton
  • Ross Callachan (+1)
  • Moses Ebiye
  • Mark Ferrie
  • Luca Ross

• Stephen O'Donnell
  • Liam Gordon
  • Kofi Balmer (+1)
  • Johnny Koutroumbis
  • Tom Sparrow (+1)
  • Lennon Miller
  • Dylan Wells
  • Zach Robinson
  • Sam Nicholson
  • Tawanda Maswanhise (+1)
  • Filip Stuparević (+1)

• Aston Oxborough (+1)
  • Ewan Wilson (+1)
  • Apostolos Stamatelopolous (+1)

Loans

• Krisztián Hegyi (West Ham United - expires 2027)
  • Marvin Kaleta (Wolverhampton Wanderers - expires ?)
  • Tony Watt (Dundee United - expires 2025)
  • Jack Vale (Blackburn Rovers - expires 2025)
  • Jair Tavares (Hibernian - expires 2026)

image.thumb.png.c3d9fa99471779d6f66f01e2b330027a.png

Updated squad. Koutroumbis and Blaney are off the physio table, as discussed at length today, McGinn now takes up station.

The forward line has seven players (plus two long term injuries) who could be used in any combination. Unlikely to see Vale again unless his loan is extended in January.

Surprising if a decent list of midfielders weren't being scouted for January.

I think SOD's second season only kicks in after a certain number of appearances @capt_oatsrather than being set in stone just now. That said, if he's started every game so far I'd imagine he'll reach it.

I'm pleased that we are in the position where bringing in Balmer and Gordon this summer has made McGinn being out easier to navigate, but due to his ability to carry the ball forward, I think he gives us something different to the rest of the back three, like @Handsome_Deviland others have said. Not seen enough of Balmer yet to judge but it seems like now we will be playing with three bruisers. Hopefully it won't have any negative effects.

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

The forward line has seven players (plus two long term injuries) who could be used in any combination. Unlikely to see Vale again unless his loan is extended in January.

Vale was announced as a season-long loan so I'd guess we'll have him again when fit.