Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Bowman is the type of player where my instinct to like players that give 100% crashes into my preference for players that are actually good footballers.

We slag our league a lot but Bowman probably ended up 1 level higher than he should have been - something that is inevitable when you bring non-league players in I guess - a kind of football version of the Peter Principle.

I genuinely wish the guy all the best though - hope he does well at his new club.

Most fans will always support players that give 100 % regardless of ability. I think Bowman falls into that category.

He may well kick on and find Exeter a good fit for him. My fear is if their fans expect him to replace Stockley who has scored 20+ goals already this season they will be sorely disappointed. 

All in all I wish him all the best but fully prepared to see who comes in as a replacement. Sadly I think Main also now falls into that bracket.  He started on fire and did look like a good replacement for Moult. But I would not be at all bothered if he also moved on as rumoured.  That leaves us with Johnson and Scott. So 2 strikers would be required. If Ross McCormack is one then great but he may well not be ready for when season starts up again. 

It's not really been mentioned much but post-Accies Robinson dropped in a comment about shape in response to a question about Elliot Frear: "If I can get players in, wide players and forward players that I'm trying to get then it gives me options to go 433 or 442 as we did today."

If we're looking at playing a back 4 more regularly it means the Maguire loan makes even more sense as we've got Aldred, Dunne, Hartley, Mbulu and McHugh as options for two centre half spots. The emphasis on width and pace also suggests that he's realised that we need a less one dimensional approach up front which probably means that we're open to the likes of Main, Sammon and presumably Newell leaving.

Also, I missed this completely but asked about ATS he said: "I thought Aaron  Taylor was very good today, I thought "I've got the left back that I wanted" and then he goes off injured again. So it's frustrating. We have to get boys robust enough to play football on a regular basis.". I take it that explains the left back we've been linked with and presumably means ATS' tea's oot.

Edited by capt_oats

I can't fault Bowman's effort at all. He always put himself about regardless of form and I'd rather see a player like that than someone who just isn't arsed or someone being raging so much so that they elbow someone in the puss twice in about 10 seconds while the referee is looking at him. We can all definitely agree that he's just not good enough to merit staying though. 

From the sounds of things this season is a bit of a learning curve for Robinson and he's going to change the way we attack which is good to hear. We're toothless right now aside from when Johnson turns up (or Tom Aldred). If we are going to play with wingers then perhaps Frear isn't going to be totally frozen out. I've been super critical of him quite often but he was by far the best player on the park at Accies. If he can play like that and we get a striker who is vaguely competent then we'll be ok I reckon.

On ATS as @capt_oats says it does sound like he is about to get his totties. He's a perfectly competent left back but we can't really carry a guy who has legs made out of wet cardboard and sellotape.

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

I’m sure Lyndon Dykes is out of contract in the summer which would mean it wouldn’t be a huge fee. Probably half the fee we got for Bowman or something.

Dykes is as you say out of contract in the summer. I rate him and he has hugely improved in his time with us. Doesn`t score nearly enough goals for an attacking player though.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not sure if this is new information, but according to Wikipedia he's their fucking captain :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

El Capitano himself JS69867967.jpg.72d9ef0c64ee5e36805e04a586324dea.jpg

For f**k sake man. :lol::lol:

Imagine having the bold Jake being the man you're following out the tunnel. I reckon you'd need to talk him out of the toilet cubicle first. 

Just re-reading Robinson's quote on the Bowman sale.

"With the options we have in attack, it's my view that we need to change it up for the second half of the season and that's what we intend to do."

He's basically saying "All our strikers are pish. We're bringing in new ones." eh?

Fair fucks tbh. He's not wrong.

He’s not wrong and I’m glad he’s not being shy in at least attempting to sort it. No guarantees of course.

I think people often forget Robinson is still a relatively young and inexperienced manager who until the summer had a couple of generally successful windows for us. Hopefully last summers activity is used as a learning experience and will benefit the club and Robinson in the long run.

I think the introduction of the transfer window has led to an "all or nothing" situation where a bad window can really f**k your season in a way that didn't happen before - and we are seeing that this season. There is now tremendous pressure for quite a few clubs in the league to get things right in January at a point where good players are at a premium.

Apart from agents (and some very top players) I'm not really sure who benefits from the Window and I remain to be convinced that it's a system that works well in middling leagues like ours were there isn't a lot of cash washing about - the whole thing feels arbitrary and contrived. I'd quite happily revert to a free system (with a transfer deadline near the end of the season as before)...

6 hours ago, Swello said:

I think the introduction of the transfer window has led to an "all or nothing" situation where a bad window can really f**k your season in a way that didn't happen before - and we are seeing that this season. There is now tremendous pressure for quite a few clubs in the league to get things right in January at a point where good players are at a premium.

Apart from agents (and some very top players) I'm not really sure who benefits from the Window and I remain to be convinced that it's a system that works well in middling leagues like ours were there isn't a lot of cash washing about - the whole thing feels arbitrary and contrived. I'd quite happily revert to a free system (with a transfer deadline near the end of the season as before)...

I do totally get your point and it’s a good arguement but it’s a good point for clubs and players to re-assess their situations and think how can we improve and where have we went wrong at the midpoint of the season. More often that not the January window can change fortunes for a lot of clubs. 

We've got Lionel Ainsworth on trial apparently, any ideas on what he's like? [emoji3] 

I really liked Ainsworth, but he just wasn’t consistent enough which is why he was playing at Motherwell and not a higher level.

Quick with the odds piece of brilliance. Don’t expect much from a defensive perspective.

Some of the goals he scored for us were crackers. Was well liked by the ‘Well fans. Could be a decent signing for you but won’t fit your direct style of play which might be why Holt is looking at him to give you an alternative.

Ainsworth was either completely invisible or unstoppable. More often than not he was completely invisible (which I suppose is why he was playing at our level) but when he turned up he was fantastic to watch.

Games that stick out for me are a New Year game against St Johnstone 4 or 5 years ago where he tore them to shreds. Everytime he got the ball it felt like something would happen. He also tore Accies apart and scored a screamer against them a few months later.

I loved the guy.

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Ainsworth was either completely invisible or unstoppable. More often than not he was completely invisible (which I suppose is why he was playing at our level) but when he turned up he was fantastic to watch.

Games that stick out for me are a New Year game against St Johnstone 4 or 5 years ago where he tore them to shreds. Everytime he got the ball it felt like something would happen. He also tore Accies apart and scored a screamer against them a few months later.

I loved the guy.

That St Johnstone game might be the best individual performance I've ever seen at Fir Park. Every time he touched the ball he was burning past 3-4 men and looking to create something. 

God I miss him.

20 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not sure if this is new information, but according to Wikipedia he's their fucking captain :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

El Capitano himself JS69867967.jpg.72d9ef0c64ee5e36805e04a586324dea.jpg

For some reason the kids' TV show "Captain Jake and the Neverland Pirates" comes to mind.