Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I can't fault Robinson's approach to January so far. It sounds like he's known for a while who he wants rid of and is just going through them now. I think from his post match at the weekend he's probably going to give Frear another shot so fair enough. Wouldn't be shocked if we then see Bigi, Sammon and Newell getting patched as well as if some lower league english jobbers offer us about £3 and a bag of Wotsits for Main. I've had a lot of time for Bigi but he's kind of sold the jerseys a few times when Robinson's given him a shot. 

Donnelly's a weird one because he seems to be absolutely competent but his legs come off when he's not playing for the Ireland U21s. I wouldn't expect we'll see much of him in the first team unless we're totally rooked. 

All in all if we get a fit McCormack + another first team striker as well as a centre midfielder I think we'll be fine. 

By all accounts we've got a left back sorted (I'm guessing the boy from Stoke that was mentioned the other day). Your man Nixon on Twitter dot com is usually quite reliable when he's naming names.

Apart from that, going purely on what Robinson's been saying publicly it's forwards (you'd imagine McCormack's 1 of 2) and wide players. Which is a brave new world from cramming as many centre mids in the squad as possible. Obviously Hastie's back but I'm curious to see if he's going for an out and out winger or if he's got a more multipurpose wide forward type.

Tied in with Robinson hinting at going 433 or 442 I'm curious to see just how many we bring in. As has been said, Robinson may have his faults but for the most part he seems to have a pretty decent handle on what's needed. Also, the whole 'quality over quantity' pivot is an interesting development in his approach.

Would 5 bodies in for definite seem excessive? Probably not tbh. 2 forwards, a 'wide player' or two and a left back. Beyond that it's a case of who else we move on I guess.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

With Frear back in, McCormack on his way (theoretically), and Bowman departing, is this the end of the thunderdome? 

Nothing gold can stay...though I would point you to Christian Mbulu's sending off in the Irn Bru Cup setting up an eagerly awaited rematch with Don Cowie on the 19th January. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It's actually 5 out permanently. Jordan Armstrong and Jason Krones were low-key released as a footnote of the Maguire loan news story.

I caught the end of a conversation on Saturday about a few lads being told they were being released, I didn't realise they'd confirmed names - not that I could tell you the first thing about the lads released mind you.

What I see is bringing may be right or totally wrong: 

2 strikers - presumably McCormack n Dykes who can also play wide 

Another 1 or 2 wingers depending on where Robinson sees Dykes playing 

A Left Back 

Possibly a Centre Half for cover on loan as Hartley and Donnelly seen injury prone and same with Mbulu 

And a Centre Mid who can link up the play, possibly on loan as Tanner will be back March / April. 

And Sammon Oot

3 minutes ago, supermarv said:

What I see is bringing may be right or totally wrong: 

2 strikers - presumably McCormack n Dykes who can also play wide 

Another 1 or 2 wingers depending on where Robinson sees Dykes playing 

A Left Back 

Possibly a Centre Half for cover on loan as Hartley and Donnelly seen injury prone and same with Mbulu 

And a Centre Mid who can link up the play, possibly on loan as Tanner will be back March / April. 

And Sammon Oot

Even if Tanner gets back playing in March/April I'd expect this season is a total write off as that's him not played a game of football in over a year by that point. 

48 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Even if Tanner gets back playing in March/April I'd expect this season is a total write off as that's him not played a game of football in over a year by that point. 

Pretty much. I seem to recall the chat being Tanner wouldn't be likely to play again this season.

I know there's been a fair amount of chat about Dykes on here, which is fair enough, but without having seen much of him he doesn't really fit in with the current "we need to add a more quality in the final third" pitch that Robinson's been making. I'm probably being greedy here but if we get Main and Sammon off the books then I'd kind of hope we'd be adding another quality forward along with McCormack (assuming his Australian club actually release him).

On McCormack's current club, I was watching a couple of interviews with their manager about their situation (they've not won a game in something like 314 days, they had Usain Bolt on 'trial' as PR stunt pre-season, they just got pumped 4-1 on Monday (in a game in which their goals literally fell apart)).

His reaction to the questions about McCormack are really, really awkward.

Link 1.

Link 2.

42 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Are you guys actually signing Ross McCormack or is that just paper chat?

Hopefully his attitude has improved a bit if so

Apparently so. He was at the Accies game sat with Burrows, Robinson and our Head of Recruitment (no idea who the guy on his left is). It's definitely more than paper talk. The sticking point seems to be that he's on loan at an Australian club who seem to be quite surprised that he was at The Hope CBD stadium in Hamilton of a Saturday afternoon when they thought he was in Birmingham getting treatment for an "injury" (he's been back in the UK since the start of December).

In short it needs Villa to officially recall him from Central Coast Mariners then loan him to us.

DvmZ4NmX4AAdODr.jpg&key=1f38cd9b939199bf

Edited by capt_oats

We've already got a player on loan from another Premiership club in Sammon so unless he moves on we're not loaning anyone else from a team in the same league.

From reading Dundee fans comments he's basically a winger who Brodge is trying to make happen as a full back/wing back. So he's alright going forward but poor defensively. *Looks at Elliot Frear*.

Aside from that we've already got two left sided players who are in the same age/experience bracket as Calvin Miller in Adam Livingstone and Jake Hastie.

Calvin Miller? It's a hard pass from me lads.

Edit: In other news that's Central Coast Mariners manager apparently "all but confirmed" McCormack isn't coming back to them in a post-match interview after their 5-2 pumping to Sydney FC.

Edited by capt_oats

See there's a bit of chat on Twitter dot com about Bigi back to Coventry. He's already left them twice but I can't imagine we'd be that difficult to deal with.

Also, that's all the local press in Birmingham running the McCormack to Motherwell loan as pretty much sorted off the back of the Villa manager's quotes.

Villa boss Dean Smith revealed that he hasn’t even met McCormack since taking over at Villa but added:

“I believe there could be another loan in order.

“I have not spoken to him. I have not met him yet.

“Richard O’Kelly has three or four players on loan he keeps in touch with. JT has the others.

“They keep me updated with what is happening with them. I’m led to believe there could be a deal close.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

34 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That's a crazy situation where the manager hasn't even spoken to a player and is happy for others to deal with putting players out on loan.

I would imagine given the mad bloated squads you get at the bigger clubs down south - it's probably not that unusual....

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I would imagine given the mad bloated squads you get at the bigger clubs down south - it's probably not that unusual....

Pretty much. Also, Villa sacked Bruce and appointed Smith while McCormack was in Australia.

He's pretty much persona non grata at Villa Park anyway so it's 100% a case of 'out of sight, out of mind' with McCormack.

Edit: Post-match interview with the Central Coast Mariners manager here. He's asked (again) about McCormack at 5min 17.

And there it is...

Edited by capt_oats