Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, ATLIS said:

We've got Lionel Ainsworth on trial apparently, any ideas on what he's like? :D 

He will be great at times for 2/3 weeks, then he will be fucking honking for 4/5 months.

That's now three out on a permanent basis and one on loan.

Who else do you expect to see go?  I could see as many as seven more potentially being moved on - ATS, Donnelly, Bigi, Frear, Main, Newell, Sammon.

Obviously depends on who we can get out and more importantly who is available on our budget to come in, but there isn't one of the players on that list who I'd be surprised to see head out the exit door (which I think is the same as the entrance door at Fir Park, but it's all down to context in that regard).

I’m sure I said it last January but with Robinson, you get the impression there seems to be a plan already in place before the window even opens.

Last year he knew what he needed/wanted and he went out and got it. Given the impact Main, Aldred and Nadir made in turning our stalling season around it’s fair to say he got it pretty spot on(we won’t mention Hendrie). With the rate we’re chucking people out the door this January, it suggests to me Robinson knows what he needs and who he needs to get rid of to get it.  

He’s shown he can be pretty ruthless before, he binned Fisher(his 1st signing) 6 months after signing him. He’s already punted Bowman this window, a guy who he claimed was part of his ‘1st choice strike partnership’ just a few months back. In that regard, it wouldn’t really surprise me to see any of the above leave this window.

As @capt_oats said though fair fucks to him, for all the abuse he’s taken over this summer/season he at least seems to realise he fucked it and is trying his best to rectify it.

8 hours ago, ATLIS said:

We've got Lionel Ainsworth on trial apparently, any ideas on what he's like? :D 

Probably one of my favourite players in the last few years. On his day unstoppable, on a lot of days he could't be bothered. Well worth it for some of the moments he gave us IMO.

Be a bit gutted if he goes elsewhere in Scotland.. can we not hijack this move and get him linking up with McCormack :whistle

11 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I’m sure I said it last January but with Robinson, you get the impression there seems to be a plan already in place before the window even opens.

Last year he knew what he needed/wanted and he went out and got it. Given the impact Main, Aldred and Nadir made in turning our stalling season around it’s fair to say he got it pretty spot on(we won’t mention Hendrie). With the rate we’re chucking people out the door this January, it suggests to me Robinson knows what he needs and who he needs to get rid of to get it.  

He’s shown he can be pretty ruthless before, he binned Fisher(his 1st signing) 6 months after signing him. He’s already punted Bowman this window, a guy who he claimed was part of his ‘1st choice strike partnership’ just a few months back. In that regard, it wouldn’t really surprise me to see any of the above leave this window.

As @capt_oats said though fair fucks to him, for all the abuse he’s taken over this summer/season he at least seems to realise he fucked it and is trying his best to rectify it.

Both he and Las have mentioned that in the past, we pretty much operate one window ahead. Maybe we can blame the excitement of the Scottish Cup final for the summer, but as you say, he's got right into trying to sort it. A manager who was content with ninth and simply keeping us the top league, wouldn't match that ambition. 

Lionel Ainsworth scored some of the best goals I’ve seen from anyone in claret and amber. Was it enough to justify him only turning up every 5 games...not for me to say, but yes.

Love the guy and won’t hear a bad word said about him.

16 minutes ago, dezz said:

Lionel Ainsworth scored some of the best goals I’ve seen from anyone in claret and amber. Was it enough to justify him only turning up every 5 games...not for me to say, but yes.

Love the guy and won’t hear a bad word said about him.

All my dreams are a strike force of Ciftci & Ainsworth. Absolutely shite for 2 months but on the day it clicked we'd leather anybody about 10-0

2 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

That's now three out on a permanent basis and one on loan.

Who else do you expect to see go?  I could see as many as seven more potentially being moved on - ATS, Donnelly, Bigi, Frear, Main, Newell, Sammon.

Obviously depends on who we can get out and more importantly who is available on our budget to come in, but there isn't one of the players on that list who I'd be surprised to see head out the exit door (which I think is the same as the entrance door at Fir Park, but it's all down to context in that regard).

It's actually 5 out permanently. Jordan Armstrong and Jason Krones were low-key released as a footnote of the Maguire loan news story. Given MacLean was listed as a member of the Reserve squad if we're counting him (and Maguire) in the outgoings then those two should be added to the list too.

I'd be surprised if we binned Donnelly just yet given he's had his injury issues and is on a 2 year deal but all the others have their contracts up in the summer and if we can get takers for them I wouldn't imagine we'd be standing in their way and the weird thing is that for all we've been fairly shite this season I could honestly see there being some genuine interest in in guys like Main, Bigi and Frear. We just won't be getting Kipré-esque money for them.

It's a pretty weird window in that respect because we've already had our record profit and the Kipré sale will be in this season's accounts so for once we can be pretty flexible when it comes to accepting more nominal fees. Even more so if they're players we're not planning on offering extensions to.

Edited by capt_oats

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's a pretty weird window in that respect because we've already had our record profit and the Kipré sale will be in this season's accounts so for once we can be pretty flexible when it comes to accepting more nominal fees.

Aye. In fairness, Frear aside, the rest all came in on frees, I think? Given how far Frear seemed to have dropped from the picture, and now that he's back in, and the way he's talked about being in the team, I wonder if he might get another year? The rest it's a case of shifting off so we can spend their wages, which has always been what we've done I guess.

If, as is suggested, we essentially got (at least) our money back on Bowman, I'd imagine we're pretty happy business wise, particularly with the PHREE MUNNY we've got off that McKinstry lad heading off? 

6 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye. In fairness, Frear aside, the rest all came in on frees, I think? Given how far Frear seemed to have dropped from the picture, and now that he's back in, and the way he's talked about being in the team, I wonder if he might get another year? The rest it's a case of shifting off so we can spend their wages, which has always been what we've done I guess.

If, as is suggested, we essentially got (at least) our money back on Bowman, I'd imagine we're pretty happy business wise, particularly with the PHREE MUNNY we've got off that McKinstry lad heading off? 

Aye, I think a fair amount of our interest will be seeing if we can get a sell on % by moving any of them on while they're still under contract.

On the point about frees, IIRC Donnelly was an 'undisclosed' fee from Hartlepool so to go back to him I don't see us letting him walk (unless someone offers us cash). Reading between the lines, with Maguire away out on loan and Krones and Livingstone released it wouldn't be a massive surprise if Donnelly was our new reserves centre half for the rest of the season.

I can't fault Robinson's approach to January so far. It sounds like he's known for a while who he wants rid of and is just going through them now. I think from his post match at the weekend he's probably going to give Frear another shot so fair enough. Wouldn't be shocked if we then see Bigi, Sammon and Newell getting patched as well as if some lower league english jobbers offer us about £3 and a bag of Wotsits for Main. I've had a lot of time for Bigi but he's kind of sold the jerseys a few times when Robinson's given him a shot. 

Donnelly's a weird one because he seems to be absolutely competent but his legs come off when he's not playing for the Ireland U21s. I wouldn't expect we'll see much of him in the first team unless we're totally rooked. 

All in all if we get a fit McCormack + another first team striker as well as a centre midfielder I think we'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

I can't fault Robinson's approach to January so far. It sounds like he's known for a while who he wants rid of and is just going through them now. I think from his post match at the weekend he's probably going to give Frear another shot so fair enough. Wouldn't be shocked if we then see Bigi, Sammon and Newell getting patched as well as if some lower league english jobbers offer us about £3 and a bag of Wotsits for Main. I've had a lot of time for Bigi but he's kind of sold the jerseys a few times when Robinson's given him a shot. 

Donnelly's a weird one because he seems to be absolutely competent but his legs come off when he's not playing for the Ireland U21s. I wouldn't expect we'll see much of him in the first team unless we're totally rooked. 

All in all if we get a fit McCormack + another first team striker as well as a centre midfielder I think we'll be fine. 

And a left back please, be that a loan or permanent