Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I also see the Ross Mccormack rumours are doing the rounds in a few of the papers this morning.

As usual, some of the moon units on Well Fans II are able to find a negative in us potentially signing a player who cost £12 million just a couple of years ago and is almost certainly an upgrade on anyone we have at the moment.

Potential Scottish Cup run obviously but I don't really see the point in Motherwell spending money on loan signings this window. They won't be involved at the bottom and aren't going to overhaul three sides to get in the top six.

The next few months would seem like the absolute ideal opportunity to give the promising young players you have a run. From a selfish point of view for Robinson, it would probably ensure he wasn't going to lose his job as well. 

Easier said than done to turn down Ross McCormack though. 

I also see the Ross Mccormack rumours are doing the rounds in a few of the papers this morning.

As usual, some of the moon units on Well Fans II are able to find a negative in us potentially signing a player who cost £12 million just a couple of years ago and is almost certainly an upgrade on anyone we have at the moment.

My only worry on bringing McCormack in would be the financial aspect of it all. But, if as it seems that Villa plainly just don’t want him and are happy to keep paying him whatever ridiculous weekly wage he’s on while we play him, then it’s a no brainer for us!

29 minutes ago, Radford said:

Potential Scottish Cup run obviously but I don't really see the point in Motherwell spending money on loan signings this window. They won't be involved at the bottom and aren't going to overhaul three sides to get in the top six.

Given the eye-bleeding stuff we've watched this season - even mid table obscurity with added entertainment would do me....

12 minutes ago, BigTamMuller said:

My only worry on bringing McCormack in would be the financial aspect of it all. But, if as it seems that Villa plainly just don’t want him and are happy to keep paying him whatever ridiculous weekly wage he’s on while we play him, then it’s a no brainer for us!

Aye, the finances are really the curious part of this especially with Robinson's chat last week about how bringing in "quality" costs money.

The A League is a weird scene with salary caps and special dispensation for 'Marquee' signings (of which McCormack's one). The club he's at in Australia had an average attendance of 7,194 last season...so I don't think it's a leap to say it's unlikely they're covering much of his £40k a week. They also seem to be an absolute shitshow they haven't won a game in 311 days (they last 4-1 today) and it was them who had Usain Bolt on 'trial' earlier in the season.

I wondered whether we might just chuck the fee plus wages saved from Bowman into the McCormack deal. I know Les and Boyle are due a slice of any transfer income but essentially swapping Bowman (with 6 months left on his contract) for McCormack seems...a pretty good deal?

The next few months would seem like the absolute ideal opportunity to give the promising young players you have a run. From a selfish point of view for Robinson, it would probably ensure he wasn't going to lose his job as well. 
Easier said than done to turn down Ross McCormack though. 

Certainly agree with you to an extent as it would take a total collapse from us combined with a huge upswing in form for not just 1, but 2 of the 3 below us for us to be in serious relegation problems. I also don’t see us catching anyone above us so it should be a decent opportunity to blood the likes of Livingstone, Scott, Hastie etc.

That being said, Robinson isn’t daft and I think is very aware of the fans discontent re our playing style this season so if a few loan signings, which presumably will have little impact on the budget, allow us to play some better stuff and up the entertainment factor a bit it would go a long way to getting the majority of the support back on-side and give him a bit more leeway going into next year when he hopefully won’t make such an arse of the summer transfer window.

29 minutes ago, dezz said:

Certainly agree with you to an extent as it would take a total collapse from us combined with a huge upswing in form for not just 1, but 2 of the 3 below us for us to be in serious relegation problems. I also don’t see us catching anyone above us so it should be a decent opportunity to blood the likes of Livingstone, Scott, Hastie etc.

That being said, Robinson isn’t daft and I think is very aware of the fans discontent re our playing style this season so if a few loan signings, which presumably will have little impact on the budget, allow us to play some better stuff and up the entertainment factor a bit it would go a long way to getting the majority of the support back on-side and give him a bit more leeway going into next year when he hopefully won’t make such an arse of the summer transfer window.

Fully agree. Even if we finish double digits clear of the bottom 3 in 9th there would still be pitchforks out if we just limped through hoofing our way to the season end. I think this definitely feels like a reboot of the Robinson #brand.

Also, as Casagolda touched on a few posts above speaking about the positive impact McDonald had on Erwin. It's probably going to be more beneficial for their development to have "better" players around the squad. Even if it's only for 6 months in a technical sense and with the best will in the world players like Hastie or Scott will presumably get more out of working with someone like McCormack than they would big Herbalife.

If we're going to 'blood' those players then assuming we can afford it why not do it with better players around them.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Not that I'm saying it's the same thing, but just keep in mind we did sign Franny Jeffers, so I don't know how much previous transfer fees really matter, it's all about how their current club value them, and in McCormacks case, it seems to be hee haw. 

In his first stint in Australia he had 13 goals in 15 appearances. Just have him cutting about pinging in free kicks all over the shop IMO. Full on special teams.

In addition to the fact McCormack played in the same team as a fair number of our current coaching staff I noticed that our Head of Recruitment (Martin Foyle) signed Villa's current manager (Dean Smith) for Port Vale back in the day. Hopefully everyone's just in the mood to help each other out here.

Spoiler

Also, the idea that there are actual Motherwell fans expressing doubt about signing him when our current forward options include Curtis Main, Ryan Bowman and Conor Sammon...fucking hell.

Edited by capt_oats

Even a half fit, half arsed Ross McCormack will be one of the best players in our league, outside of Glasgow. 

Are folk really saying we should pass up the opportunity of signing him if it's in anyway possible? Mental. 

McCormack is clearly class, but there's a reason he's been in Australia and is now linked with you lot.

I'd be very wary about spending a fair whack of money on someone who seems to have a habit of just deciding he doesn't fancy it one day.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Even a half fit, half arsed Ross McCormack will be one of the best players in our league, outside of Glasgow. 

Are folk really saying we should pass up the opportunity of signing him if it's in anyway possible? Mental. 

Respectfully disagree mate.  We should definitely tell McCormack to f**k off and go the rest of the season with Connor Sammon and an 18 year old boy up front.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

McCormack is clearly class, but there's a reason he's been in Australia and is now linked with you lot.

I'd be very wary about spending a fair whack of money on someone who seems to have a habit of just deciding he doesn't fancy it one day.

All expenses paid by Aston Villa.

I heard from ITK sources we are paying less for McCormack than we are for Sammon.

7 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

All expenses paid by Aston Villa.

I heard from ITK sources we are paying less for McCormack than we are for Sammon.

Well then, that's an absolute no brainer.

10 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

Anyone know much? Seems highly rated by Motherwell.

Yeah. He's one of the u20s group who's been 'around' the first team squad for a while but only getting limited minutes. He's pretty comfortable with the ball at his feet but I'm not sure Robinson entirely trusts him at the moment so to speak. He's got all the attributes but could definitely use a run of games where he's getting battered by forwards in the Championship.

The curious aspect of this is that we've loaned him out at a point just after we lost 3 centre backs in one game last week with Dunne out due to a concussion along with McHugh who's dropped in that position before and Mbulu out indefinitely with a detached retina. On top of that Peter Hartley's injury record hasn't exactly been flawless recently.

Edited by capt_oats

Anyone know much? Seems highly rated by Motherwell.

Very decent prospect. Can play central defence and also more than comfortable as a holding midfielder.

Could be a decent move for him. Maybe part of the rumoured move from Lyndon Dykes for us??

1 minute ago, wellboy1991 said:

Very decent prospect. Can play central defence and also more than comfortable as a holding midfielder.

Could be a decent move for him. Maybe part of the rumoured move from Lyndon Dykes for us??

Lyndon Dykes? Nah, I'm not having that as a real name.