Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'd be interested to know to what sort of levels Airdrie were playing as there wasn't really that much between the teams though having said that they missed a few absolute sitters gifted to them.

There was only 3 players over the age of 23 in our side last night so there wasn't as much between the teams in terms of age and experience as you'd think.

I'm just glad to have progressed to be honest.

Honestly, we wonder why we lose so many players, or wonder why their development doesn't go to plan between the ages of 18-21, but we have absolute fuckwits like Sbragia in charge of our future generation.  

Someone like Brian McClair (with 30 years of service at Man Utd) walks away because the whole set-up is a farce, yet we expect Ricky fucking Sbragia to guide the youngsters through to the full squad.  Fucking hell.  

14 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm a bit disappointed Chris Cadden isn't in the Scotland under 21 squad.

Honestly not arsed. Anything that isn't playing for us isn't anything I'm massively interested in. 

As highlighted by Desp, I don't think it'd be a fundamental benefit in his development, as he's hardly going to be dealing with the best coaches available at that level. 

Lucas, McFadden and Campbell all score for the 20s vs ICT u20s yesterday evening. 3-1 win. Highlights are up over on the club YouTube. Nice composed finish from Lucas on the edge of the box, deflected free kick from McFadden and best goal of the lot was Campbell's. Hopefully we can get him out on a Development Loan to get competitive games as he's another who I don't think will gain that much playing exclusively in the 20s side.

I'd have thought the fact Lucas is still at the club having been on "trial" since the start of July surely means we intend to sign him. There's an argument there that a player who can sit in the centre of the park to keep hold of the ball and make passes with a bit of composure is exactly what we need. I've read a few folk on Steelmen who are utterly convinced we need a like for like replacement for Pearson, I think there's very much a case for Cadden being that player tbh. Have McHugh or Lasley as the holding midfielder, Clay or Lucas as a centre mid and just let Cadden have a lovely old time going box to box. With Pearson himself being rumoured to be coming back in January then a deep lying playmaker, as Lucas seems to be, could be a useful addition.

That's far too sensible an argument for Steelmen. I've always seen Cadden as more of a Pearo type than a Lasley - what you've suggested above would give us a good bit of depth in the centre when all fit. The only thing is whether we have any real back up for Cadden if he's injured - would Campbell fit in there?

35 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

That's far too sensible an argument for Steelmen. I've always seen Cadden as more of a Pearo type than a Lasley - what you've suggested above would give us a good bit of depth in the centre when all fit. The only thing is whether we have any real back up for Cadden if he's injured - would Campbell fit in there?

Campbell is definitely more a holding player. Anytime I've watched the 20s recently particularly vs Edinburgh City and Airdrie he's the one the team play through in an anchor position. He seems to be the player who dictates the tempo of their game and just generally keeps things moving, always showing for the ball and offering an easy pass. Based on the limited amount I've seen of him he'd be unlikely to be an obvious replacement for a box to box player like Cadden or Pearson. Turnbull or Fry on the other hand are definitely more advanced players though with nowhere near the same level of physicality or athleticism of either Cadden or Pearson.

As I say, assuming there are clubs who'd be willing to take them and play them I'd think that it'd be in MFC's interests to get Campbell and Turnbull out on Development Loans as soon as possible. Have them playing with the 20s through the week and getting competitive games on Saturdays.

I remain to be convinced signing another sitting midfielder is the most effective use of our limited budget. 

Especially when said player appears to be a 24 year old crock who's only managed 6 games of first team football in his career so far. 

Anything happens to Cadden and a midfield of Lasley, McHugh and Clay(or Lucas) would be the slowest, most negative and uninspiring midfield since we finished the Albion Rovers cup debacle with Leitch, Lasley, Lawson and Carswell in the middle of the park. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

And we need a left back. 

If there's any money to spare on a contract, it should absolutely be going there.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14700143.Joe_Chalmers_on_his_stuttery_start_at_Motherwell_and_his_best_showing_in_claret_and_amber/

There's yer boy Chalmers saying he's been doing his best for the club.

19 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm a bit disappointed Chris Cadden isn't in the Scotland under 21 squad.

I'm glad he isn't to be honest. From a selfish point of view I want our key players totally focused on Motherwell without any distractions so Scotland can bolt as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Quite honestly, I'm sure I said elsewhere, I wish the guy no ill at all. I don't have a problem with him, as he certainly appears to be trying his best, his best just isn't good enough. Happily proved wrong, as well.

Quite honestly, I'm sure I said elsewhere, I wish the guy no ill at all. I don't have a problem with him, as he certainly appears to be trying his best, his best just isn't good enough. Happily proved wrong, as well.

Similar to the Tom Hateley chat in the other thread I don't care what he's like as a person. He's just shit.

At least Hateley was a reasonable full back. Chalmers is worse than a man short.

MFC being linked with an attacking midfielder via the always vague and speculative HITC site. Motherwell being mentioned alongside Wigan, Preston, Burnley and Chesterfield as having an interest in James Hardy who apparently plays as a #10 but is comfortable out on the wing.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/25/wigan-preston-motherwell-chesterfield-burnley-chase-non-league-a/

As is standard he's got a wee YouTube highlights packages if you want a look at some camcorder footage from the Conference North then fill your boots below.

30 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Certainly fits snugly between 'Louis Moult' and 'Marvin Johnson' in our Amazon purchase history, that.

Aren't we financially broken?

From the looks of things he was kicking about the Man City academy around the same time as Kennedy too, though a couple of years between them, so he ticks the "young, former EPL academy player working his way back up" box as well.

I think the extent of our financial brokenness depends on whatever mood the person being asked about transfers happens to be in tbh.