Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The only very slightly possible negative for me is Ross MacLean leaving. I've genuinely been impressed everytime I've seen him play. You'd think with Bigi/Rose away, Cadden/Tanner out long term and Grimshaw finding his niche at right back, there's finally space in midfield for Maclean to stake a claim. Obviously Robinson etc see him in training/on loan far more than me so fair fucks I guess.

Reading this back, I come across like one of those guys on Steelmen Online who are still stanning Luke Watt or Dom Thomas. I promise I'm not as emotionally affected by Ross MacLean leaving as I seem :lol:

5 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Could big Erwin be an option 

I doubt it, He's played for two clubs this season and I think he's in Fifa's bad books.

Also I thought he was pretty shite.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

The only very slightly possible negative for me is Ross MacLean leaving. I've genuinely been impressed everytime I've seen him play. You'd think with Bigi/Rose away, Cadden/Tanner out long term and Grimshaw finding his niche at right back, there's finally space in midfield for Maclean to stake a claim. Obviously Robinson etc see him in training/on loan far more than me so fair fucks I guess.

Reading this back, I come across like one of those guys on Steelmen Online who are still stanning Luke Watt or Dom Thomas. I promise I'm not as emotionally affected by Ross MacLean leaving as I seem :lol:

I'm kind of with you on this, but I'd kind of expected him to be pulling up trees at Morton (perhaps even literally, given his instagram), and I appreciate circumstance went against him there, but I wonder if he is in that half-way of being good, but perhaps not good enough to perform week-in, week-out at our level. 

Or he'll be great at Falkirk and we'll bring him back and pay a percentage to ourself, which I presume is a financially good thing.

37 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Never gonna happen. 

With Grimshaw and Cadden (when fit) able to play right back then Richard Tait and Adam Livingstone are our left backs now and that's absolutely fine for the remainder of the season IMO.

If Livingstone wanted an opportunity then this is 100% it. He'd better start hitting the weights.

Now that the dust has settled on ITK Thursday, It's been a useful window and I'm genuinely  happy with it - but the only area that I'm surprised we weren't able to do much was the centre forward position. We obviously got rid of Bowman (for money) and brought in McCormack, which I'm really happy about but in the brave new world of 4-3-3 (or whatever it is), we still only really have Main that is suitable as a lone striker. 

I think I'm right in saying that all our strikers combined haven't yet reached double figures in the league and given we are now in February, that's a pretty desperate set of affairs and my worry is that despite adding a lot more creativity to the team, this is going to hold us back. (Either that or Div Turnball will score every week and we'll have f**k all to worry about....)

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

With Grimshaw and Cadden (when fit) able to play right back then Richard Tait and Adam Livingstone are our left backs now and that's absolutely fine for the remainder of the season IMO.

If Livingstone wanted an opportunity then this is 100% it. He'd better start hitting the weights.

Aye pretty much. I mean I think criticising him in the press is a bit OTT but someone really needs to have a word with Livingstone to tell him he's literally the only actual left back at the club so he could walk into the team if he wants it.

I'm actually pretty happy we didn't go down the route of signing some lower league jobbers tbh. The season's pretty much a write off so we might as well try and get some young guys into the team.

With ATS going I was hoping for a left back in.  Also, I was hoping we could get shot of Sammon and bring someone else in but no such luck. From Burrows tweet this morning it sounds like this wasn't for the lack of trying. We do lack a proven striker but if McCormack can get fit he can obviously fill that void.

Generally though, I'm fairly pleased with our business this window. It looks like we have went for quality over quantity which is something we failed to do in recent years. In McCormack and Ariyibi we appear to have a couple of guys that genuinely improve the quality of the first team. You could rarely say this in past windows.

Financially too we appear to have done pretty well, small fee for Bowman, and high end wages of the wage bill for Bigi and Rose.

Edited by Luke92

Has Livingstone ever been out on Loan? I get that we have no actual left backs other than him but he feels like someone who could do with some Championship fitba for a few months with a view to next season...

16 minutes ago, Swello said:

Now that the dust has settled on ITK Thursday, It's been a useful window and I'm genuinely  happy with it - but the only area that I'm surprised we weren't able to do much was the centre forward position. We obviously got rid of Bowman (for money) and brought in McCormack, which I'm really happy about but in the brave new world of 4-3-3 (or whatever it is), we still only really have Main that is suitable as a lone striker. 

Agree with that and it's the one aspect of the window that's a bit...*sigh* but if no one was willing to take on our loan for Sammon and Hearts laughed in our faces at the suggestion of taking him back then there's not a lot we could do. IMO for us to bring in another centre forward we'd have needed to move Sammon on plus one more since right now we're looking at Main starting with McCormack, Sammon, Johnson and Scott as the options for the bench (or any permutation of those 5).

With the league being as it is and also having been papped out the cup then as useful as it would have been, I don't think we could realistically have justified adding another body to the mix.

I'd like to think Robinson will learn from the Sammon signing though.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

Has Livingstone ever been out on Loan? I get that we have no actual left backs other than him but he feels like someone who could do with some Championship fitba for a few months with a view to next season...

He has, aye. He was at East Fife for half a season.

Edited by capt_oats