Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Empty Pistol Pete playing the same game he did with McGinn. How did that work out for you Lawwell?

Totally different situation for me. The guy has a long contract and will have a number of clubs after him. McGinn had a less than a year and Lawwell was acting the c**t as he knew nobody was in after him. Then the Aston Villa takeover happened quickly and caught him out trying to save on a few hundred grand. He won’t even attempt this long drawn out method this time should we really want Turnbull (which I hope we do).

As for Motherwell I personally wouldn’t want our CEO speaking on twitter like a casual fan but the guys’d isn’t your usual CEO so fair enough. 

As for people saying he should be aiming higher than us I don’t really get that as we have a proven record of developing players for the EPL. There aren’t a great deal of cases outside us who made the leap straight in to the EPL and made a fist of it.

Not to be all ITK about things...

But our valuation of Turnbull is obviously vastly higher than what Celtic have offered, and given the clubs mentioned in terms of links, we'll get it no bother.

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As for Motherwell I personally wouldn’t want our CEO speaking on twitter like a casual fan but the guys’d isn’t your usual CEO so fair enough. 

Can totally see this, tbf, but also: We all know that football fans are panic merchants. This isn't reserved to Motherwell, Celtic, or anyone, it's just how things are. 

This story in the paper will have sent your less P+B brand of Motherwell fan off the deep-end. Burrows coming online to say 'Nah, we won't accept this' and leaving it at that certainly stops some of the moon howling you'd see otherwise. A good thing, and well communicated, IMO.

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Not to be all ITK about things...

But our valuation of Turnbull is obviously vastly higher than what Celtic have offered, and given the clubs mentioned in terms of links, we'll get it no bother.

Tbh I can see some lower end EPL club blowing us out the water with a bid. His amount of goals for a striker in their first full season would be cracking, for a midfielder it’s almost unheard of. 

10 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Tbh I can see some lower end EPL club blowing us out the water with a bid. His amount of goals for a striker in their first full season would be cracking, for a midfielder it’s almost unheard of. 

Agreed.

Armstrong hit 15 in 2017, in a far better team (in a more advanced role?), and before that you're looking at Hartley at Hearts in 2006, and then Barry Ferguson in 2003 with 16 for proper central midfield scorers. 

All very fine players, and all significantly older than Turnbull is. 

Edited by thisGRAEME

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Agreed.

Armstrong hit 15 in 2017, in a far better team (in a more advanced role?), and before that you're looking at Hartley at Hearts in 2006, and then Barry Ferguson in 2003 with 16 for proper central midfield scorers. 

All very fine players, and all significantly older than Turnbull is. 

Taking the C&A specs off for a wee second, Turnbull only scored 3 of his goals against Top 6 teams (0 goals against those in the top three spots in the league).

Clubs down south will know they are buying potential (and the lad has bags of it) but at the end of the day, talk of Scotland call-ups and £5m valuations are a wee bit OTT at this moment in time.  

1 minute ago, Desp said:

Taking the C&A specs off for a wee second, Turnbull only scored 3 of his goals against Top 6 teams (0 goals against those in the top three spots in the league).

Clubs down south will know they are buying potential (and the lad has bags of it) but at the end of the day, talk of Scotland call-ups and £5m valuations are a wee bit OTT at this moment in time.  

Would agree with everything there, he ran the show in the Celtic 1-1 game but apart from that hasn't really showed up against the OF.  Can't be fucked working it out tbh but I'd imagine he's only scored 3 or 4 away from home as well,which could be better.

Not meaning this as a criticism of the boy obvously, if anything it's frightening that he could still go up a few gears.

17 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Cheers for posting that - I was relying on someone a bit more tech savvy than me. You don't have the short clip of just Marvin's goal do you? I could watch that on loop all day!

24 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Going by the radio commentary on Sunday, there were sections of the St. Mirren pitch invasion over goading the Dundee United support. Don't know how many were involved but there doesn't seem to have been much made of it. Wonder why?

Tbf, it was a much larger pitch invasion, with much less goading, rather than everyone running over to laugh at Rangers.